Low cost Smart Lock

I have a Schlage. It has a better locking mechanism and key than those I found. I would save up. That is the one thing you do not want to go cheap on.

3 Likes

Any recommendations brand and model number.

1 Like

Thinking about getting another one of these for my garage. That is the only time I need keys around my house…not that I ever forget them.

1 Like

@tgauchat, thanks for the link…just ordered another one for the garage.

2 Likes

Yale and Schlage locks are the about the best quality locks you will find. Each has it’s pro’s and cons’. Here is a little table that compares locks features at a high level.

The Schlage camelot is an excellent lock but has minor firmware issue which could cause trouble with the mesh under heavy load. It also tends to overstate it’s battery life causing it to die suddenly under load. The FE599 is another excellent option but also has a firmware issue that prevents the stock DTH from showing it’s correct locked status.
Yale is a great overall lock but some of the Connexis z-wave modules have a bug which could cause excessive battery drain and may need to reset the lock/replace the module.

No lock is perfect, but overall Schlage and Yale are amongst the best. You can find some great deals on eBay and Amazon for these locks. Customer service is great with both companies.

1 Like

I jest got YALE REAL LIVING YRD240NR605.

now how I install it to smartthings?

Watch Home Depot. They run deals of the day periodically on Schlage locks. Some really good deals when they do.

1 Like

The “NR” model is not SmartThings compatible.

Model “ZW” has Z-Wave and will join like any other device using the SmartThings App.

1 Like

so you are saying it will not work with SmartThings.

No it won’t, like terry said…

That’s a keypad lock.

It’s not a keypad lock with a z-wave module, which is what pairs with SmartThings.

1 Like

Correct. You chose the WRONG model of the lock; unless you have stated the wrong model number.

You probably should have checked back with us, giving the specific model before purchasing … maybe you can cancel.

Anyhow … It happens. Just return it and get one of the ones that work.

Waiting on seller to cancel so I can buy the Kwikset 910 smartcode with Z-Wave. According to the listing it has Z-Wave if it’s still available when I get the order cancelled.

Is Kwikset Kevo or argust supported

The officially supported Locks are shown here:

would I be able to use Kwikset Kevo or August Smart Lock?

August (consumer model) is not Z-Wave, so though it might be integrated, I doubt it is a tight integration. The August Pro (installers only) is Z-Wave.

As we already said, a keypad based lock is worth the extra money. Aiming for the absolute cheapest lock is just going to cause you trouble in either reliability, compatibility, durability, or flexibility.

Schlage, Yale, Kwikset if a Z-Wave model are compatible; but for best results, you may want to choose a certified model as listed on SmartThings page, linked in post above.

I have a lockitron Bolt. With a universal device Handler that talks to the lock but the only problem is. When I return home it doesn’t automatically unlock the lock every time.

The only reason I’m upgrading the lock is to have keyless entry no need to enter a code or use a key.

Keyless entry is great … when it works.

Having backup options - for something as critical as being able to enter your own home - is better.

My Schlage can be opened by SmartThings based on proximity or use of the App; via the keypad (most convenient for me; as well as for dog walkers and house guests), and in case the battery is dead or the other two methods don’t work, by a physical key … which I keep a copy of in a mechanical keysafe.

All that extra convenience for a very low incremental cost.

One option you could look at it buying a compatible zwave module from Yale and plugging it into the lock. Yale has this nice feature of plugin zwave modules and then you can use it with ST