Low Battery Notification going wild

Yeah i’m not using the ST app for battery monitoring at all, its an oldie, but a goodie :smile:

You have no control over it, or do you? It’s the system app that sends you notification if the battery is low. That’s why is concerning. The polling should be done maybe once a day, or less…Now that I think, maybe if I turn the notifications off would stop…

Yes you do have control over it, or did (cause this may of changed) but i know i turned off the system notifying me of low battery state because it drove me crazy getting daily reports of my roomba battery being low.

Not in v2 era :frowning: …We cannot turn off the hub offline or the battery notification; but there is a “hack” to get it done. I just turned the push notification off to see if that stops the polling.

Update: …and that didn’t stop the polling…, so I guess if you have a multi, yours is polling too, even though you don’t get the notifications, as you see below, I turned mine off…

I’m hub v2 as well and i remember i killed the system reporting, but i don’t remember how. I’m also one of the few hub v2 users who have a working dashboard so… so i may just be “special”. Sadly i can’t confirm it in live logging cause i accidentally killed the internet at my home :frowning: cause sometimes my “special” is of the short bus variety. If i figure it out i’ll post it here.

1 Like

Bobby,

that is the way mine has always looked. I never thought anything was wrong with it…

I use this simple app that monitors battery status of all my devices and sends me a notification on 1st and 15th of every months at 10 am, if the battery of any device is below 25%.

/**

• Battery Check
  • Copyright 2015 Ashutosh Jaiswal
  • Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”); you may not use this file except
  • in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
  •  http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

• Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
  • on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
  • for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.

*/
definition(
name: “Battery Check”,
namespace: “”,
author: “Ashutosh Jaiswal”,
description: “App to check battery”,
category: “My Apps”,
iconUrl: “http://www.iconpng.com/png/symbolize/battery.png”,
iconX2Url: “http://www.iconpng.com/png/symbolize/battery.png”,
iconX3Url: “http://www.iconpng.com/png/symbolize/battery.png”)

preferences {
section(“Monitor battery level on…”) {
input “batteryDevices”, “capability.battery”, title: “Which?”, multiple: true
}
}

def installed() {
log.debug "Installed with settings: ${settings}"
subscribe (batteryDevices, “battDevs”, batteryThings)
initialize()
}

def updated() {
log.debug "Updated with settings: ${settings}"
unsubscribe()
subscribe (batteryDevices, “battDevs”, batteryThings)
initialize()
}

def initialize() {

//Schedule a check of the battery at 10am on the 1st and 15th days of the month
schedule("0 0 10am 1,15 * ?", checkBattery)

}

def checkBattery() {

//Gets the current battery level

log.debug "checking batteries"
def battery = batteryDevices.currentValue("battery")      
def whichDevice
def x=0
def y=0

while (x < 50) {
	if (battery[x] < 25) {

whichDevice = batteryDevices[x]
        if (whichDevice != null) {
            y=y+1
            log.debug ("Value of y is $y")
        	log.debug "The $whichDevice battery is low"
            sendPush("Battery Check Day: The $whichDevice battery is below 25%.")
            }

}

x=x+1

} 
if(y==0) {
        log.debug "Send Push That Battery is good"
       sendPush ("Battery Check Day: All devices have battery level over 25%")
       }

}

def batteryDevices (evt) { }

1 Like

Cool, thanks for sharing, but how do we kill the official one from polling every 2 min?

The built in one doesn’t poll, it just subscribes to a special location event that triggers any time a device reports battery level. I think you have something else happening to trigger the fast reporting of the battery level. You don’t have pollster or anything like it setup at all do you?

subscribe(location, "battery", batteryHandler)
1 Like

Thanks. Good to know, and no, I don’t have anything that could be polling them. I guess the official device type is set up to do that. That was my first thought, but I didn’t check. Because it only happens with the multi sensor from what I can tell.

1 Like

What do you know!!! Magically “solved” without customer interaction…(but battery level continues to be updated every two minutes) :imp:

Bump, bump, bump…Hey Tim @slagle …this is still going on, no change since December. I have had couple of tickets that were closed without anyone even reaching out.

Can you take a look at this? Is really killing the batteries on the multi sensors. Looks like it might be because the temp is set to poll every 2 min. I don’t want to change the handler, because I want to keep my multi sensors running local. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The multi is set to wake up poll every 4 hours i believe. It is set to report any new change in temp though. I think them might just be fluctuating.

Might try un-paring and re-pairing to send proper configs.

1 Like

Thanks Tim, I’ll try that…

Hey Tim, I think the 4 hours is applicable to the new multipurpose sensors (SmartSense Multi Sensor)…but not for the older generation, which uses SmartSense Multi handler. I tries to use the new handlers, but couldn’t make them work. Here is a comparison on the two handlers:

(New) SmartSense Multi Sensor

(Old) SmartSense Multi

@SBDOBRESCU did you ever get a resolution? I’m seeing low battery notification int he live logging on a motion sensor code I’m working on and the batt is reporting 100%…

5:06:21 PM: debug lowBatteryHandler: zooZ Motion Sensor battery is 100%

Here’s the code…

You should be seeing all of your battery operated devices showing up in live logging for low battery app, whenever there are changes in the temp or the device polled. My problem with multi sensor old handler is that is polling the temperature every 5 minutes, when it should be polling them less often

@SBDOBRESCU I know this is an old thread, but I have the exact same problem with just one of my Multi-Sensor.

f74f3724-77f6-4504-9615-79a8d5f64903 10:58:26 AM: debug lowBatteryHandler: Kitchen Window battery is 70%
f74f3724-77f6-4504-9615-79a8d5f64903 10:57:22 AM: debug lowBatteryHandler: Kitchen Window battery is 90%
f74f3724-77f6-4504-9615-79a8d5f64903 10:56:47 AM: debug lowBatteryHandler: Kitchen Window battery is 100%
f74f3724-77f6-4504-9615-79a8d5f64903 10:55:23 AM: debug lowBatteryHandler: Kitchen Window battery is 90%
f74f3724-77f6-4504-9615-79a8d5f64903 10:54:40 AM: debug lowBatteryHandler: Kitchen Window battery is 100%

It never stops! Did anyone come up with a solution for this?

That looks legit. Your battery level is changing. Mine wasn’t. There may be a report as often as the level changes (Depending on device*) and regularly if it doesn’t, but not as frequent as five minutes, because that would be inefficient for battery operated devices.

*some devices report level changes in stages. @JDRoberts may have more info on this. Not sure if there is a tag or an article on the Wiki about it.

Varies by model. For example, a lot of smoke detectors only report once a week. But in any case, battery operated devices generally report in tiers:

1 Like