Loss of State affecting some users / some SmartApps (was Death knell for RM today?)

@bamarayne sending you a DM

SmartApp failures should be down from the past couple weeks, but we are tracking some nagging issues. Please submit instances to support@ so we can trend, ticket, and address them.

This is not a smart app failure.

At 0945 my hub polled a huge amount of devices, with a result of off.
Starting at that time, the polled devices and more started turning on.

After a hub update I will sometimes experience a couple of routines that will not fire. Whatā€™s weird is that itā€™s not all routines, and itā€™s not every update. If I simply open and close them, they will run for a long time.

This just happened to me. I am quite sure this issue is not a time out issue, but simply a hub update issue. I think @Schro experienced both based on his descriptions.

1 Like

Omg. Fireplace coming in by itself?! I was going to add mine to smartthings, pretty sure Iā€™m not going to now. How could it get so bad that devices not connected to a smartapp can switch on itself.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll admit, I have yet to connect anything that could kill me. That includes any gas appliance, thermostat, room heater, range, garage door, automobile, water heater. Just stuff that if it ran for 12 hours unattended might cost me money, but it wouldnā€™t be a safety issue. But thatā€™s just me. :wink:

2 Likes

As a general rule of thumb, I personally never connect anything that could potentially be dangerous if it were switched on/off by accident unattended.

For a second I considered putting a GE 12722 on my garbage disposal but then I released I wouldnā€™t want that switching on, for whatever reasons, all day while Iā€™m not at home.

1 Like

scribbling a mental note: ā€œadd garbage disposal to the NOYL listā€ :wink:

3 Likes

I really like being able to tell Alexa to turn on my fireplace (during the 10 days of winter we have in Alabama). So, Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll install a wemo outlet, our some other 3rd party outlet to power the thing.

Currently itā€™s using an aeon micro switch in parallel with the low voltage wall switch.

What I can do is use a third party outlet that can be directly controlled by Alexa (throw me a bone folks), in conjunction with ifttt.

I tell Alexa to turn on the fireplace, she turns on the outlet. Ifttt sees the outlet on and then tells ST to turn on the switch. The switch has no power until the outlet comes on and ST isnā€™t controlling the outlet.

Yeah, that sounds good.

Yeah, my luck just as I reach in there to get that diamond, the tv says something, Alexa gets inadvertently triggered, turns on the disposalā€¦ Wife buys bigger diamond with life insurance money.

9 Likes

I just ran into that, today as I was writing an app. 9 out of 10 times, save an publish worked, but occasionally I had to reinitialize the app. So maybe is not the hub reboot, but the fact that code has changed on the backend?

@Aaron @slagle

In reference to the little incident that occurred in my home this morningā€¦ @ 0946 cst

I just had time to go over my logs and something just jumped out at me that tells me exactly where the command came from that turned on my devicesā€¦

1. immediately prior to the on command my hub initiated a polling of the system.
  2. every device that turned on is a device on my local control eligibility list.
  3. not a single cloud based device was either polled or turned on.

This tells me that the on command originated from within my hub.

So, whatā€™s up with the firmware that itā€™s throwing on commands?

9 Likes

Another week goes byā€¦ I donā€™t even hear the crickets anymoreā€¦

The silence is indeed deafening.

Also has Alex given up on us all now?

The reality is, effective leadership would not have let it get to this point.

I sincerely want ST to succeed, but it will never happen under current leadership. No matter how much one may think of ST, no matter how stable their system has been for them. This is objectively bad leadership. And, in my opinion, why ST cannot realize itā€™s potential.

Putting aside the failures to respond meaningfully to the community about recent failures and lingering concerns, simply the fact that the c-suite consistently fails to fulfill their explicit commitments. This is magnified by the later of course, there is no worse time to be an absentee than when there is palpable fear, uncertainty and doubt predicated on recent failures in the community upon which your entire eco-system depends.

Leadersā€¦ well, they lead. They step out in front, especially when there are issues that their staff are taking heat on.

Leadership has let their staff hang out to dry, time after time.

4 Likes

Leadership? What leadership?

1 Like

How would it help you knowing that they made no progress since his last post and that they are still struggling to push the upgrade that he announced last time?!

1 Like

Good question.

I think the humility and transparency would help the fine folks that put their blood sweat and tears into making ST happen, for one.

2 Likes

We were promised transparency. I interpreted that as sharing information not ST leadership being transparent. :grin:

5 Likes

Things are getting so bad that even using an event to trigger the recovery of a timed event failure, is now failing. I can no longer keep a timed event going more than two hours without a failure.
Detecting several dozen timed event fails per day. I put it on par to the springtime fiasco where SmartThings took many weeks and eventually expanded their capacity. Just like the last time when many of us started losing our rules followed by massive timed failures.

Not looking good folks, at least for me.

2 Likes

Seeing the same problems. Fixing some stuff in CoREā€™s recoveryā€¦ at least make it kick all pistons when the play button is clicked, or when a recovery stage is reached. Other device events will only kick pistons that have subscribed for kicking. (i.e. when a piston is executed, it tells CoRE it ran, and when the next expected time to run is, if any, giving CoRE a chance to check if thereā€™s any pending piston that hasnā€™t run at the right time. CoRE should then kick those pistons, making their recovery faster than the 1/2/3 hour first stage recovery kicks. At least in theoryā€¦

3 Likes