Looking for tutorial on adjusting linear/2gig switch parameters

I am new to SmartThings and Z-Wave tech. I’m interested in adjusting various parameters on a couple of Linear switches I have recently purchased for my home.

The Linear/2Gig documentation references adjusting the configuration by changing parameters. I have no idea how to actually do this.

Do I adjust the parameters by physically pushing the switch? Can I do it through the SmartThings hub? Do I send command lines via an app?

Can someone point me towards a tutorial or thread to learn more about this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I thought I would follow up on my initial question above. I reached out to the help section at zwaveproducts.com and received the following response:

Your Smart Things hub will automatically configure to the default. If you want to change these defaults, you use the device info on the Smart Things interface to change the configuration command.

As we don’t carry the Smart Things hub, I can’t say exactly, but more information can be found here: Linear WD500Z-1 compatibility

NOTE: I have not installed my smartthings hub or linear switches yet since my house is still being remodeled. I was hoping to read up on adjusting the parameter settings ahead of time.

I’m hoping to receive confirmation that I can use the smartthings app to make these types of adjustments.

You can’t use the SmartThings mobile app, but you can build a device type that will allow you to change the parameters. Usually.

Because I’m dependent on text to speech (I am quadriparetic), I can’t really do anything with code. (Groovy is not good for text to speech.) But there are lots of people who should be able to help.

Which specific models do you have?

@codytruscott has A couple of dozen of these, I think. I’m not sure if he’s done anything with configure, though. But he is an expert in device types, so he may have some thoughts.

I’m going to be transitioning the vacation rental that I manage from 1.0 to 2.0 by October 22nd. As part of that transition, I’m going to put the touches on several custom device types and apps that I use so that others can make use.

Due to the lack of support for local device types on the 2.0 hub, I’ve actually decided that rather than going with custom device types to expose the extended parameters of a variety of different devices that I use, that instead, I’ll be using a SmartApp that exists solely to configure these parameters which will allow me to both adjust ‘advanced’ z-wave parameters, but also make use of the built in standard device types which will allow for local processing.

It also means one will be able to change parameters across a swath of devices at once vs going into each thing and individually setting preferences. Which is a big deal for me — every switch in this light happy house is now a linear z-wave switch or dimmer.

That said, note that I haven’t done this yet, and I should probably check the documentation to make sure my expectations of what I can do with a SmartApp don’t exceed the realities.

@scottlirwin Which parameters were you interested in adjusting and for what purpose?

1 Like

I’m looking at trying to adjust the following parameters on the Linear switch - NOTE: this info is copy/pasted directly from the downloadable manual:

Set Ignore Start Level Bit When Transmitting Dim Commands
The WD500Z-1 can send Dim commands to Z-Wave enabled dimmers.
The Dim command has a start level embedded in it. A dimmer receiving
this command will start dimming from that start level if this bit is set to
0. If the bit is set to 1, the dimmer will ignore the start level and instead
start dimming from its current level.
• Parameter No: 1
• Length: 1 Byte
• Valid Values = 0 or 1 (default 1)
Night Light
The LED on the WD500Z-1 will by default, turn ON when the load
attached is turned ON. To make the LED turn ON when the load attached
is turned OFF instead, set parameter 3 to a value of 1.

LED indication
The LED on the WD500Z-1 will turn on when the load attached is ON.
However, the LED can be user confi gured to turn ON when the load
attached is OFF, if so desired, to act as a night light.
The WD500Z-1 will fl icker its LED when it is transmitting to any of its
groups. This can be changed if desired.
• Parameter No: 3
• Length: 1 Byte
• Valid Values = 0 or 1 (default 0)

This little app will allow you to automatically turn off the indicator lights on Linear switches/dimmers no matter which position the switch is in. It’s essentially a emulated ‘Never Lit’ option as seen in the generic SmartThings dimmer/switch device type.

definition(
        name: "Linear Switch Indicators",
        namespace: "CodyTruscott",
        author: "Cody Truscott",
        description: "This app turns off the dang Linear indicator LEDs",
        category: "My Apps",
        iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience.png",
        iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience@2x.png",
        iconX3Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience@2x.png")

preferences {
    section("Turn indicator led off always") {
            input "switches", "capability.switch",
            multiple: true, 
            required: true, 
            title: "Which Linear Switches/Dimmers?"
    }
}

def installed() {
    initialize()
}

def updated() {
    unsubscribe()
    initialize()
}

def initialize() {
    subscribe(switches, "switch.on", switchOnDetectedHandler)
    subscribe(switches, "switch.off", switchOffDetectedHandler)
}

def switchOnDetectedHandler(evt) {
	evt.device.indicatorWhenOn()
}

def switchOffDetectedHandler(evt) {
    evt.device.indicatorWhenOff()
}
1 Like

Thank you for the solution. I love tinkering around so I am looking forward to playing with this option. I need to ask one more newbie question…which can I view a quick tutorial on how I can implement code this code? I’m assuming I am inserting the code into a function or action in the app. Is this correct? If so, do you know of an overview of how I can edit/manipulate the app?

I don’t need step by step instructions…just something to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Scott

Look for JDRoberts FAQ on installing Smart Apps.

Thank you very much for the tip. I’ll explore the link and provide feedback regarding my success.

Hello Cody,

tried installing your little up but it didn’t work for me. I am using “Linear WD500Z-1” switch with this up, but can’t get this dang Linear indicator LED off. Anything I’m doing wrong.