Looking for device recommendation to switch low voltage wire

I just installed a 240 volt central vacuum and was looking for a reliable device to switch the low voltave wires on and off that control vacuum. Was hoping for something cheaper than a heavy duty 240 switch to control power to vacuum. Would be nice to say alexa or Google turn of vacuum when needed without going back to switch on vacuum port.

I would probably just use a “robot finger” to push the button, assuming one fits. It’s a no-wiring solution that can work well for the last step in a retrofit. I use these in my own home. They may not be the least expensive solution, but they are often one of the easiest.

IMG_4770

There is a cheaper, less elegant competitor just coming on the market as well. But I don’t know anything about them other than their marketing materials. I’m waiting for them to show up on Amazon so we get some field placement reviews. :sunglasses:

You can use a smart switch or plug to control a 120V coil relay, and connect the isolated contacts to your low voltage wiring.

1 Like

That was my thought too.
Can also use a low voltage relay like the ELK912 or 924, and power the relay using transformer attached to a smart plug that turns it on and off then run the vacuum circuit through the NO/COM ports so when the relay is turned on it will switch to closed and turn the vacuum on.

So I gather that there is not a stand alone device that would solve my dilemma. The least amount of components needed the better. So far the 120volt coil relay seems the easiest. Thanks for your help, maybe a couple more creative ideas will pop up yet.

Central vacuum starts whenever you plug-in the hose. You should NOT to start it when your inlet covers are closed.
You’ll just destroy it prematurely.

Nice, but bad. And you still need to plug the hose in.

I think you’re misunderstanding his intent. He wants to be able to turn off the vacuum when the hose is plugged in, Not turn it on when the hose is not.

My central vac has hide a hose so thw hose is sucked into vac plumbing. The on off switch is on the wall plate where hose gets pulled out of. If you say suck up something you shouldn’t or want it off in middle of room you need to go back to switch on wall. They sell a rf handle for this with a switch that hooks into low voltage wires. It is quite expensive and has batteries. I was hoping to make use of smartthings, Alexa and Google for less money and fun factor. A smart plug would have worked until I chose more powerful 240 volt vac.

You could use a smart switch and just use it to kill one of the lines. A 240V motor just stops with one of the 120V lines switched off. From a safety standpoint though it’s generally required to disconnect both power legs.