Looking for a modified device handler for GE14924

Good morning everyone,

Pardon the noobishness in advance. I am new to the Smartthings space and could use a bit of help with a group of GE 14924 switches I recently installed in my home.

For one, I notice that default behavior for these switches is to dim up and down when single-pressing the up or down paddle. With this, a few questions:

1. Is this default behavior for the GE14924, or does Smartthings do this to all switches by default?
  2. Is it possible to make it so that the switch turns on to full brightness or completely off when hitting the switch? I would still like to retain the ability to dim up/down when holding the paddles, of course.

Additionally, I’ve read that lights may experience a slight delay when turning on one of these switches due to it’s multi-tap capability, which waits a portion of a second to see if a subsequent press is made.

1. Am I correct in this assumption?
  2. Can multi-tap be disabled?

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately, the GE Jasco lights are built to dim on/dim off. There is nothing you can change to make them turn on at a certain level. Most of us control the light values based on modes or rules in WebCore:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjq4uz7r_baAhUD9IMKHSGBCwwQFghKMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.webcore.co%2F&usg=AOvVaw1-YguELD0vJ-l9GDHR-yM4

Below is a DTH I have created to provide a bit more flexibility in the Smartthings app UI for GE Jasco lights:

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, pmjoen.

For the sake of clarity, can WebCore or the DTH you linked provide me with the capabilities I’m looking for - that is, to go 99% or 0% when pressing up/down on the paddles, but still maintain the push to dim up/down ability?

Otherwise, am I pretty much hosed? Is there an alternative switch I should look for if I want the paddles to go full on/off but still maintain the ability to dim?

Thanks,

Or, to be clear, I don’t mind keeping the dim on/off functionality as long as the dim speed is increased significantly to an almost perceived instant-on/off. Is this possible?

There is nothing that you can do to have the light go so a specific value on press or always to 100 on press. It will always dim on to the previous level per the actual switch hardware.

What most of us have done is set up a rule in Webcore so during the day when I press to turn on it will go from whatever value it was to 100%. I only use these dimmers, so we may have to wait for others to chime in.

Would you be willing to share this Webcore code with me? Sorry if I’m asking for a lot here, but I’m trying to best sort my way out of this problem.

Mine are some what complex as I use variables to detect motion, but here is the one I use to set to “High” during the day.

This is not exactly what you are looking for but you may want to check this out, too. there are DTHs that expose additional configuration options for the GE dimmers (e.g. change dim speed):

The configuration is actually stored in the switch, not in Smartthings… so you can revert to whatever DTH you want to use when you set the configuration you like.