Lockitron and Cree bulb hack?

I’d like to repurpose a Cree connected bulb to control a lockitron lock that currently is only BT. By using the PWN output to toggle the lock operation so I can control it via ST. Any ideas, thanks… Ricky

Any reason not to just use the Lockitron open API? Or does that not work anymore?

http://help.lockitron.com/article/108-does-lockitron-work-with-hubs-like-smartthings

@dckirker might know more.

I’m not that good at coding but I can follow instructions. It would be cool
if ST unlock the BT capabilities of the hub v2

JDRoberts Helpful
July 14

Any reason not to just use the Lockitron open API? Or does that not work
anymore?

http://help.lockitron.com/article/108-does-lockitron-work-with-hubs-like-smartthings

My lockitron is only BT, I don’t want to spend another $100 for the wifi bridge or buy another lock. Thanks

You’ll need a 3 V power source for it. And the problem is that the lockitron moves physically so figuring out how to mount it is going to be tricky without interfering with the ability to manually turn the bolt from inside. (Essential for fire safety.)

I understand the desire to save money but this just doesn’t look like a very practical project to me. But everybody has their own priorities, it will certainly be interesting if you can get it to work! I do wish you luck with it. :sunglasses:

Here’s a little more information on how these are used:

Some progress:
GOOD NEWS:
1 - I got the ZigBee board out from the bulb and it’s working as intended. Impressively small.
2 - it will fit with plenty room inside the lock and it will power from the lock batteries.

BAD NEWS: Since the Cree bulb only have : on, off and toggle. I don’t know where to hook up that would allow me to send 6v to lock and, then reverse - 6v to unlock.

Any tip is appreciated. Thanks
Ricky

That’s progress!

One note: if you power it from the lock batteries, the batteries will run down much more quickly. That’s why Lockitron took the Wifi out of their second generation–the batteries were only lasting a couple of months running two antennas. You can certainly try and see how it goes, but my guess is if you run the zigbee Chip and the Bluetooth off the same battery they’ll only last about four months. Remember that the cree chip is designed for a mains-powered device. It’s not a sleepy chip to begin with.

I’m aware of the power issue, I just want to make it work and then I’ll figure out if I need to hard wire the whole lock. I email Lockitron and hopefully they point me in the right direction. I need to be able to reverse the power for lock/unlock.