Lock status bug in Smarthings mobile app?


(Graham) #1

Hi, SmartThinge newbie here. Just finishing up my migration from Vera. Went as well as could be expected, but I’m seeing something weird with my Schlage BE369 lock. In the new SmartThings app (Android) the lock status always seems to show the unlocked state. However, if I go to the IDE and check the lock there it has the correct state and correctly changes it as I lock/unlock the door. Automation notifications also work. The lock responds to unlock commands. SmartThings Classic (Android) also shows the correct status. Is this a known bug? I tried a few different device handlers for the lock, but that didn’t fix it (and seems to me that the device handlers were working if the status in IDE shows correctly).


(Ryan) #2

The new app does not support customer DTH yet. Stick to classic.


(Jimmy) #3

If you’re using a custom handler for the lock, it needs to be renamed to the exact same as the default handler “Z-wave lock” in order to work with Smart Locks.


(Graham) #4

I was mostly trying standard handlers. I was using the default handler that it picked for the lock, which was Danalock. I tried changing that to “Z-wave lock”, and then “Z-wave lock with codes”, and then tried one of the custom ones. I always left the name as Danalock. Should I try changing that?


(Ryan) #5

You’re saying the DTH needs to be renamed or the device? You’re not completely clear on that and I think that’s what’s causing some confusion.


(Graham) #6

What I’m saying is that I left the field called “Name” with the default it chose when I added the lock (this was Danalock). The field “Type” was also Danalock originally, but I then changed this to the other ones I mentioned (but never changed the “Name” field to match … always left it as Danalock).


(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #7

Depends on the DTH, the DTH needs to be designed to work with SmartLocks.

If it’s designed to work with SmartLocks, then the next step to get Real Time updates is that you need to change the name.

I think you’re referring to this post right?


(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #8

If you’re seeing the correct state in the IDE then it’s a ST App display issue. As @Ryan780 mentioned, you can’t use custom DTH’s with the new SmartThings apps.
If you’re using the new SmartThings app you need to use the stock “Z-Wave Lock” Device Handler (not the z-wave lock with codes).

If it still doesn’t display the correct state, basically the push connection to the ST server is broken. Try to reboot your phone or reinstall the SmartThings app. If it still doesn’t work report it to ST support.

Meanwhile the Classic app is still your best friend and you can use custom DTH’s with it.


(Jimmy) #9

sorry, device handler itself needs to be re-named as Rboy linked to.


(Graham) #10

Thanks everyone, it’s now working :slight_smile:
I’m not sure exactly what did it, but I did the following things and it now works properly:

  1. set name and type fields to Z-wave lock
  2. reboot phone