Local time

device:emit_event(caps.dishwasherOperatingState.completionTime("2022-09-05T14:18:45Z"))

this piece of code generates 4:18 PM… funny, but it’s wrong TZ and don’t know how to change it

@ygerlovin

I agree with you @ygerlovin, time needs to come from location, as that’s were automations are executing.

1 Like

Paul this would be very useful. We have a few drivers in the works that schedule activities on a recurring basis but these will only work if there’s a local timezone (locks, thermostats, cameras are the immediate ones). The easiest way would be to set/update the timezone offset as part of the driver structure when the geolocation is set (like groovy used to). If there’s no geolocation the offset can be set to null (to differentiate from GMT). While this is the easiest way to start, at the outset, I would recommend adding one of two options for handling daylight savings time.

• Update the offset on the hub twice a year when DST changes, let’s the drivers handle it by looking at the offset and detect any changes
  • Add an option to register a lifecycle handler which is called when DST changes and that can trigger the driver to look for changes to the offset and recalculate the schedules. This could be even simpler by using the updated handler and updating the passed parameter to indicate that the lifecycle was triggered for a DST change, so there’s minimal change to the driver framework and easy to implement

Thanks for the feedback, @RBoy.
We already created a feature request for this. Just as a heads-up, it can take some time to be reviewed and implemented.

+1 for this feature as well. I want to use it for circadian lighting algorithms. In my case, I even have the Olson ID for the timezone which comes from the device. I really just need the timezone tables to lookup the offsets. I may embed them, but that is a lot of bloat for drivers that will use up memory. Having those tz tables onboard would be preferable.

@posborne I would suggest the team look at lua tz as it may be a useful start for a platform library. GitHub - daurnimator/luatz: Time, Date and Timezone library for lua