Local Processing in Hub V2

Another interesting development.

I had a Smart Lighting instance that was running local:
Motion sensor controlling light switch.

I changed the icon on the light switch, it was no longer a local device but the Smart Lighting child app was still listed as local and it no longer worked, even when the hub had connectivity.

I went in and edited the settings on that Smart Lighting child app and when I finished clicking through it it was no longer local and it started working again.

If you edit icons on devices and they stop responding to local smart apps that may be it.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have the answers as I have been working with support as only 2 of my devices are running locally even though I am using standard device types for all of my GE switches and receptacles. I just added one this past weekend and it appears in the local list so I am not sure why it would and the others don’t given they are the same switch with the same fingerprint. Hopefully they will get me fixed.

I only found about that URL when chatting with support so thought I would share.

Anyone else having issues with devices not running locally that should? That is GE/Jasco devices.

I have several devices that should be running locally but are not, several of them are GE switches.

My understanding was official ST device type and official ST app (smart lighting) should be running locally. But that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Should all generic ST device types run local on the Hub2.0?
For example the generic zwave lock device type?

This is not the case on my hub, just a few switches and the minimote show up as local devices.
I would like to see a basic door lock app/automation that can run locally.

re: oct 20 outage/platform maintance;
I have a local profile in the smart lighting app and it 1/2 didn’t work during the outage.

profile: for motion, turn on lights, wait 5min then turn off lights.
the lights turned on but the exit action didnt happen. there goes local processing

I checked to see if it was local from:
https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localInstalledSmartApp/list

I have found that if you edit the device after it is added then it will be removed form the local processing list. I changed a bunch of of the icons for my devices then noticed that they were removed from the local processing list. Though some of the apps that use the devices remained in the local processing list.

In my experience when the app is left local but the device is not local the app doesn’t work.

Is that what you are seeing? The only way I could fix it was to edit the settings on the app and then it was no longer local.

I have 2 minimotes and neither run locally. Nor does my Schlage lock. What I don’t understand is why one of my GE switches runs locally but not the many others of the same brand and model.

Support has been extremely slow to respond to this issue as my ticket has been open for several weeks now. Maybe if others start reporting the same issue they will be pressured to fix. :grin:

Thanks for sharing! Didn’t know there is also a list for devices and not just smartapps.

minimotes don’t run locally (nor does the button controller app) – they are not approved for local yet.
**only the smart lighting can run locally (if the lighting devices are not cloud related).

Minimotes do you run local and are supported with the SmartLigjt app

thanks for the info - I will look more into this.

update: made a new profile in smart lighting for the miinimote; the new profile did not show up in the LocalInstalledSmartApp List

Minimotes are absolutely supposed to run locally with Smart Lighting, CEO Alex said he would look into also getting the SmartenIT 3 toggle switch approved to run locally as an accessibility accommodation since the minimote is physically impossible for some of us to use.

But it depends on what device types/smartapps you’re using.

Any tricks to get a device to show up as local after adding and removing apps or device types?

My front and back porch lights are both GE switches. Smart Lighting turns them on at sunset and off at sunrise. There are no other things in this action, yet it’s not showing up on my list of local smartapps. By reading above it looks like others are having similar issues with devices not running locally that should. :confused:

1 Like

Correct, that is my exact issue. I have been exchanging emails with support over the last week. I would encourage you to also contact them as there is obviously an issue they need to address but without more people voicing it, they may not have enough evidence to fix.

1 Like

I also spoke to support yesterday about my GE Switches (12722) not appearing as local devices. Removing and adding the switches again does not make them appear as local either.

Their response was disappointing. According to support there were only a couple of people seeing this issue. This thread would tell them otherwise.

Although there are some SmartThings employees who post in these threads, they do not use these threads to track support issues. Just the official tickets put into support. So it’s always best to put in a ticket.

2 Likes

agreed
20characters

1 Like

I like the idea of having local api endpoints.

2 Likes