Local Processing in Hub V2

This is not something that is a priority for us yet. We still need to get local processing right before we compound any problems by allowing custom apps to run locally too. Sorry for the bad news. I feel like George RR Martin. (beginning to suspect that RR stands for rarely 'rites?)

Do you think it will ever become a priority?

1 Like

Yes - this is on the list of things we are advocating for - for developers.

2 Likes

Are you advocating for eventually being able to host published apps as local processing?

1 Like

Local SmartApp execution, yes.

1 Like

Check out Rule Machine, it’s a good example of something that should run locally.

6 Likes

Can anyone confirm one way or the other whether routines run locally? Say a Good Morning routine that just changes the mode at 7:00 a.m.? It appears to me that it doesn’t.

@slagle @jody.albritton

2 Likes

Routines are not local right now. There is work towards making them local though.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what I thought I was seeing.

1 Like

I am hoping that custom devices have a far higher priority than custom smartapps.

1 Like

I don’t think we are going to see either on hub 2.0.

Which is disappointing. I didn’t return my two 2.0 hubs based on @alex s statement during a dev chat in sept or so that this would be a feature aimed at late November.

3 Likes

Vera says all preorders for their new Vera Plus (local processing for Zwave plus, Zigbee, and Bluetooth) Will be delivered by February 15. While they’ve been a top brand for Zwave controllers for several years, historically their new models have been very buggy for the first few months after launch, so personally I wouldn’t jump on the preorder. But if they have it stable by May, ST will have a serious competitor as far as local processing goes. We’ll see.

https://shop.getvera.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VeraPlus

5 Likes

I wonder if Vera will keep it all locked up or let users have full control of their property.

I’m sorry, I don’t know what that means in this context. The Vera zwave controller that’s been out for five or six years has a scripting language, LUUP, (Lua plus UPnP) that allows for the creation of plug-ins, custom code, and a lot of extensibility. But we’ll have to wait and see what gets delivered with the
Plus model once they’ve added zigbee devices to the mix.

2 Likes

Hey @JDRoberts - what do you know about the vera community?

What are the downsides to vera, assuming they delivery on the new box as described?

That assumption seems like a BIG assumption. Reading the press release like that is the equivalent of comparing Vera’s highlight reel to ST behind the scenes. The box isn’t even available yet. How can you assume that it will work out of the box as described knowing what you know about Hub V2?

I don’t.

My use of ‘assume’ was in the context of a hypothetical question.

I hate to make assumptions about anything before it’s actually being sold. (This thread shows the assumptions we made about local processing for SmartThings V2 which turned out not to be true.)

In the past, Vera’s biggest drawback was that it didn’t have Zigbee support. And every new release was really buggy for two or three months until they worked things out. And very little effort put into phone/tablet interfaces. Other than that, it’s been a good Zwave solution. But no way to tell if the new Zigbee features will be the same quality until they’re in the field.

The community is active and helpful, but most conversations are pretty technical. The lack of a good phone app means they don’t get many customers expecting a plug and play solution anyway.

http://forum.micasaverde.com

1 Like

Not sure if it’s a typo but local processing for z wave plus? How about just z-wave? I will probably switch back Vera. We will have to wait and see for now. It’s getting interesting.

Zwave plus controllers like SmartThings and the new Vera are backwards compatible, so they handle previous Zwave generations as well. So, yes, classic Zwave is also local.

Indeed. I’m still planning to wait until May to draw up my own phase 2 candidates list. It will be interesting to see if the new Samsung TV offering has any local processing.

3 Likes