Local Processing in Hub V2

Good call, I just opened a ticket, and will be patient. Hopefully this can be adjusted on the cloud side via the ticket, and I won’t spin my wheels before they look at it.

I really don’t see bad delays for the apps that are cloud based, but the geek in me wants it to be local :smile:

No rime or reason as to what shows as locally installed. Multiple identical devices with the same device type some show some don’t.

Have multiple tickets in - no help !!!

I was able to get a minimote and a couple other devices to run local by removing the device and adding back in to ST with the default device types. These are running the SmartLighting app locally. Support may have a way to help if you have lots of devices.

In my experience, as soon as you add a custom device type and/or smart app the device is banned from local execution. Changing device type does not help.

Giving the limitations and issues of the SmartLighting app there may be limited benefit to local devices and apps at this point.

Standard device types on everything !!!

"No rime or reason "

I deleted one of my SmartLight apps the other day and readded it today and now it shows running locally. I know its not ideal, but maybe that will help others as well. I had read from someone else that you may need to delete it and wait a day or so to readd it - likely for caching clearing or whatever to clear on the SmartThings side. I will continue to experiment with this and let others know.

I deleted most of my SmartLight apps before bed last night. I just readded them and they now show up on the local app list:
https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localInstalledSmartApp/list

Others may want to try this as well. I had previously tried deleting and readding immediately after and that didn’t work so waiting several hours seems to fix the issue.

Just to reiterate the issue, I was working with support because devices that should be running locally were not. They forced these devices to run locally but my SmartLights were not showing up on the local app list. After removing them, waiting several hours, and readding them has fixed the problem. I would suggest checking the local device list and comparing it to you local app list:
https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localDevice/list

1 Like

great thread-

I have a z-wave light switch and a wallwart lamp module in the same room. For years i had Vera and set it so the switch also controlled the lamp module it was basically instantaneous.

Had the SmartThings V2 hub a few days and there were always delays. I had used a custom device on the wallwart to enable load sensing. I read this thread, learned a bit, so now i reset the device on the wallwart to factory dimmer. As above the smart lighting app didn’t automatically go local even though i saw the device as local. I deleted and redid the smartapp and BAMM- it’s essentially instant. Toggling on is so close to instant that the dimming ramp rates of the switch and the wallwart basically match. Toggling Off seems to have a millisecond delay- a normal human wouldn’t notice but i was staring at the lamps just because i was too excited reading this thread.

Curious- did everyone with the GE devices get squared away? Are the fingerprints the same on all the GE devices when you look in the IDE? I read something over at the staples connect forum (tried that for a few weeks between vera and ST)- that lead me to believe that GE may have newer firmware in some devices- at least ones sold at lowes marked as IRIS ready. Staples connect seems to recognize those as different devices and gives them more features than other GE stuff.

@Ben
Ben can you share is there’s anyone from ST who’s looking at the moving apps to local execution strategy who can weigh in on this discussion?

I’m very keen on getting my custom apps to run locally, the platform is rather flaky in terms of performance and every once I a while when it’s running slow the SmartApps start to time out. Is there any way to get these apps to run locally. They would run a whole lot more reliably and we can also start loading more operations on it since we have more bandwidth to use.
It just sucks when apps that run normally suddenly start timing out on the most random of locations in the code (I’ve spent hours trying to figure why it would time out on an assignment statement or a log statement only realize it’s completely random and depends on what’s going on with the cloud).

1 Like

I am looking at this now.

4 Likes

OK, here’s todays appEngine V2 local execution bonus question.
@slagle, @jody.albritton (congrats BTW!!!)
I’ve not seen any discussion on V2 device current state and attribute value(s) history storage, or for that matter currentState…
So the question is how much if any of a given devices attributes or state history are stored on the hub?
When we make app calls such as device.currentState(“yada”) or device.statesSince(“yada”, startTime), where is the data coming from?
I think we all understand device event subscriptions can be local, but I have lots of apps (as others do as well), that don’t subscribe to all devices that have been input in the app, these device states or attributes being used for conditional decision making, where the state change event is of no value.

3 Likes

Don’t know off the top of my head, I’ll get back to you tomorrow.

so you are using the Smart Lighting app to control what the buttons do? instead of osmething like Button Controller?

does this work even if the hub is powered off then?

thanks…

just so i’m understanding right, the remote and the devices are both paired w. hub right?

1 Like

“Local processing” in this context means the hub is still running at your house, but it has lost connection to the smartthings cloud. Which could mean your Internet was down or the cloud was down or mains power was down. But the hub itself still has to be running.

right - that’s what i’m trying to achieve.

i stopped using button controller and started using smart lighting to control my living room light/fan. however, now i can’t use the smartthings app to control them. It seems like it’s trying to turn it on/off but nothing happens.

or perhaps the ST cloud is down (again).

The community created wiki has the links where you can check which of your device types and smart apps are eligible to run locally:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=FAQ

Thanks,

i actually think something is wrong ATM with my hub. my ST app cannot control anything. going to give it a swift kick in the behind (reboot) to see if it makes a difference.

Platform issues:

http://status.smartthings.com

ty sir - sorry i don’t typically need to be spoon fed this stuff, but with ST, it seems to be this way.

i came from Vera and yesterday was about ready to just go back before i tried getting this local processing working.

Don’t worry; it’s not you. :wink:

Ah, noticed the downtime myself today. A single local SmartApp and the need to update firmware for every new one, though? What’s the point? If the only major feature in v2 is the ability to insert AA batteries, I’d rather spend the $100 on a good UPS.

1 Like