Living in Fear as a SmartThings User (Jan 2019)

Yeah, I turned off push notifications and went SMS for that very reason. The dreaded wave of false notifications to the wife. Only really important ones go to her and they all go to me.

2 Likes

Agree with most comments here. Now looking to jump ship to an alternative platform - open to any suggestions? Iā€™ve read a few of the older threads re ST alternatives but wondered what the current best choices are ?

Right now, all low-cost hubs have pluses and minuses, they all have a rating around 3.5 stars on Amazon, and there is migration in all directions. Just depends on finding the one that best meets your own specific needs. :sunglasses:

There are several threads already in the forum comparing various alternatives.

( and yes, I did just post the same answer in a different thread to a different user: itā€™s a commonly asked one. )

I like the ST platform and have faith that things will be much better after the migration is over. BUT I am also tired of waiting for increased local execution capabilities as snappy response and reliability are critical to many automations. I do not want to always be in ā€œDebug Modeā€ā€¦ Now why did that not work as expected??

Therefore, I am closely watching what Hubitat does. My ideal situation would be to keep all ST benefits while taking advantage of Hubitatā€™s local execution. I believe there is no direct support for webCore, which is the thing I absolutely love the most of the ST platform, so Iā€™ll just keep watching for now. Last I heard, @ady624 (webCore Genius) was hired by ST so I am hoping this means ST will build upon webCore.

1 Like

Correct, no direct support from the Hubitat team. It is deemed a ā€œuse at your own riskā€ application. Some users still do use webCoRE on Hubitat with success.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/hubitat-elevation-hub-home-automation-that-is-local/117107/856?u=ogiewon

1 Like

what platform or system did you swap over too? i am looking for something more reliable in terms of commercial use for z wave or zigbee but also simple if possible.

Iā€™ve been using Hubitat for almost a year now.

Thank you looks like a nice alternative to smartthings. I was looking for something that is designed for commercial use but cant seem to find a hub for commercial use, do you know any

For what specific use cases? There are commercial hubs available for restaurants, for hotels, for retail spaces, for office buildings, for manufacturing. But they have different features and functions.

Also, in order to get the reliability required for commercial use, they are all considerably more expensive than something like smartthings.

1 Like

I understand the price being high but i was looking for a smart system/hub for commercial space use, so maybe today its a restaurant and tomorrow its a hotel next day a pet shop, is there a system that specific for commercial but can be deployed for different settings? regardless of business type ? or is there some reason that i dont understand.

Wow. Everything about that would be crazy expensive even without an automation system. For example, a restaurant needs an industrial kitchen, plus has to be able to pass health inspections, plus has to meet all kinds of ADA requirements. Youā€™re talking about specific kinds of flooring, specific kinds of sinks, power requirements like crazy to support the ovens and refrigeratorsā€¦ plus the bathrooms. Thereā€™s a reason a restaurant that goes out of business usually stays empty until another restaurant moves in.

Pet shops have other totally different requirements. Lots of power, but for individual enclosures that have to be individually controlled. Again, a special kind of floor, but not the one thatā€™s in a restaurant. And entirely different set of health inspections with different requirements. Restaurants typically have huge windows, pet stores typically have almost none.

As far as a hotel, thatā€™s different yet again. Acoustic engineering (soundproofing) is a huge issue for hotels. Emergency exits of all kinds, far beyond the ones needed for restaurants and the opposite of whatā€™s needed for pet stores. Locks and security are a major issue, But itā€™s zoned. As is the HVAC. A separate HVAC zone for every room. Lots of carpet, which you donā€™t find in pet stores and rarely in restaurants. Public use bathrooms and private room bathrooms. More ADA requirements that vary yet again from the other two. And more specialty inspections.

And if you want a space that can shift between those quickly, Iā€™d be surprised if you can do it in less than three months in the US, just because of the inspections, but you would definitely pay a price for the speed.

There are multi use buildings like shopping centers that do have basic automation for the building as a whole, but itā€™s always modified for the individual spaces depending on the specific requirements.

So Iā€™m not saying itā€™s impossible to design automation for a quick change commercial space, but I am saying I canā€™t imagine anyone doing it and making a profit.

Just Google ā€œcommercial automation systemsā€ and youā€™ll find lots of different services and systems. But donā€™t expect them to be based on a hub that comes in a box. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah I donā€™t understand the whole ā€œone size fits allā€ type of commercial setup, and I doubt that it even exists.

Most corporate buildings will have specific automation systems designed around AC / light automation for the purposes of energy savings based on occupancy, but those would be completely different from what you see in a hotel or a restaurant or even a laundromat in a strip mall :slight_smile:

And we might need to split this off into its own thread to keep the discussion from going way off topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you still use SmartThings?

2 Likes

Only when I am helping a ST user with ST_Anything. At this point, I have moved everything over to Hubitat and have zero reliance on ST. I keep my ST hub unplugged at this point.

2 Likes

I got my Hubitat hub last week and gotta admit I am a little disappointed.

Given the lack of features I am going to mirror my Hubitat devices in Smartthings as virtual devices to retain cloud and other abilities.
I have created bidirectional operation for switches and dimmers using MQTT & Node Red.
Now I just need for figure out a solution for sensors.

Sounds like a PITA.

1 Like

Iā€™m courious since I havenā€™t made the jump yetā€¦ what can Smartthings do that Hubitat canā€™t yet?

2 Likes

For sensors you just use the ā€œOther Hubā€ App. Actually for most of the devices, this is what you would use.

1 Like

Mobile App and a much more seasoned official and custom device library.

Momma, there goes that man againā€¦

4 Likes