Linking Smart Life to Alexa varying degrees of success

Hello, I recently bought a Smart IR remote, which I have successfully configured using Smart Life on my Samsung phone. I have programmed Smart Life to control my LG TV, My LG Home Theatre and an H,View CCTV DVR. I can now control all of these items using the Smart Life app on the phone.

My next step is to use Alexa on my Echo Dot to control these items by voice, so I have installed the Smart Life skill on my Echo Dot and entered my Smart Life account details. However, when I now look on the Alexa app at my devices, I can see the TV and the CCTV, but I cannot see the Home Theatre listed. Then when I actually try to get Alexa to control the items that I can see: the TV is successful, but when I ask Alexa to control the CCTV, I get a response telling me that I need to enable Anymote. Anymote is installed and is enabled, but I am not sure where it fits in to the grand scheme of things?

One point to add is that the TV and Home Theatre were set up on the Smart IR remote from the Smart Life library of devices. The CCTV was set up using the Smart Life DIY facility.

So the questions are: Why is the Home Theatre not being seen, when the TV is? Why is Alexa unable to control the CCTV when she can control the TV.

Any hints or advice much appreciated.

This forum is for people who are using the Samsung SmartThings ™ Home automation platform, so all of the questions and answers are assumed to be in that context. It is a very active community, so it often comes up near the top on more general home automation Google searches, but it is not a general forum.

Smart Life is a different platform from a different company. There is a smart life/SmartThings integration, but it only works for some devices and you have to have a SmartThings account to use it.

It sounds like you are just dealing with issues regarding smart life. If you don’t have a SmartThings account, you should get in touch with support for either smart life or Alexa, there just isn’t really anything we can help you with here unless some community member happens to have that same device.

You can also try the Reddit home automation sub forum: they are brand agnostic.

JDRoberts. OK, thanks for the tip. This is all very new to me and the excessive use of the word “Smart” around this topic makes it difficult to distinguish between general conversation or reference to proprietary software/hardware.

1 Like