Linear WAPIRZ-1

The Linear docs say that the temp will work down to 5F. I was just looking at the ecolink directions from homeseer and they say the device only works down to 32F/0C. Anyone see these work below 32F. Mine are Go Control. I tried removing battery and that did not fix it.

Steve

Ok I used the ā€œMy Monoprice Motion Sensor v2ā€ device type (post #32).

But still no battery status, do I need to reset the sensor to make it work.
For Reset I tried,
Taking out battery for 5 min
Press then Tamper Button once for 5 seconds and 3 consecutive.

Still No Battery Status.

How can I tell if I got a bad sensor, sensor gives out temperature and slow motion detection (takes about 4 min to change status)

Thanks for the input

same issue hereā€¦when i go into IDE to change the device type to ā€œmono price motion sensorā€ i dont see it listed thereā€¦am i doing something wrong? thanks

Cookie under the my device handler after you save did you do a publish. My battery status is coming out now just have to wait for it to come out

thanksā€¦was able to publish the device handler and now I see both the temp and battery statusā€¦
just wonderingā€¦how do i configure it so that if there a motion deteced, it will turn on lights or turn on the sirenā€¦

For the lights, download in SmartApps Smart Lighting, for the Siren do the Smart Home Monitor. Play around with it a little bit

Does anyone get false motion detection with the WAPIRZ-1 and this DH (I have GoControl version)? I get 1 or 2 false motion detected events a week which makes the whole thing kind of pointless if you canā€™t trust it. I have heard there are factors which could contribute to this:
-pet-we do have a 22lb dog, but he is locked in another room when this happens
-sunlight-our house faces southwest so it is possible sunshine is coming into windows in view of sensor. No trees that would cause fast movement of sunbeams

Thanks!

Iā€™m not getting battery status on my two GoControl motion sensors using 08-27-2016 version. Is it working for others?

Iā€™ve got a GoControl Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector - WAPIRZ-1 that just wonā€™t add to my network.

Iā€™ve tried to exclude it (set general exclusion mode and press tamper switch for a second) and I never get an exclude successful message. The instructions from the manual (below) donā€™t work - the device never goes into include mode (blinking LED).

INSTALLATION

1. Release the cover tab to open the cover.
  2. Insert a CR123A battery into the battery compartment and LED will start to fl ash
    slowly, which means the sensor has not yet performed ā€œinclusionā€ with the controller.
  3. Replace the cover.
    For ā€œInclusionā€ to (adding to) a network:
    Refer to your Controller operating instructions to add this module under the
    command of the Wireless Controller.
  4. Prepare the Controller to include a unit to the network by adding it to a group (method
    of adding a node to the network). Refer to controller instructions.
  5. If your Controller supports Network Wide Inclusion (NWI) locate the WAPIRZ-1 near
    the proposed installation location. If not skip to Step 7.
  6. With your Controller in Inclusion mode, you should see an indication on your
    Controller that the ā€œdevice was includedā€ in the network. It should display binary
    switch / Linear. The LED will stop blinking. Skip to Step 10.
    If the LED does not stop blinking, relocate the WAPIRZ-1 to within 100 feet (line of
    sight) of a Z-Wave device or your hub and repeat Step 6. If the LED continues to blink,
    your Controller does not support NWI and continue with Step 7.
  7. Place the WAPIRZ-1 within 3 feet of the Controller.
  8. With your controller in Inclusion mode, depress the Tamper switch for 1 second then
    release.
  9. You should see an indication on your Controller that the ā€œdevice was includedā€ in the
    network. It should display binary switch / Linear. The LED will stop blinking.
  10. The device will appear in the list of Switches.

Iā€™ve tried three presses on the tamper switch which does (sometimes) make the LED go out for a bit, but then it comes back on again and does not blink. Iā€™ve put the cover back on and tried to add it by pressing in the program button via the pinhole on the back (one press, three presses, 10, 20 second presses, doesnā€™t work

If I take out the battery and re-insert it (and the first time I ever inserted it) the LED never flashes, just holds solid on.

Really appreciate any suggestions.

Iā€™ve got exactly the same problem as @Danabw. Exactly the same!

Bumping this thread hoping for an answer

If after trying all the mfg steps to include your device fails, try rebooting or even a cold restart of your hub by taking out the batteries (v2 hub) and unplugging it for about fifteen minutes. Have you had success pairing another motion sensor? Itā€™s very possible you have a defective motion sensor.

In my case, itā€™s definitely a device issue ā€“ I cannot get it into the include state (indicated by a flashing LED). And have two different sensors behaving exactly the same way.

I have no issues with my SmartSense or Aeotec motion sensors or any of the 100+ other devices connected to my hub.

Are your two devices new? Never been paired at all? I have two of them that I paired over a year ago and they have been rock solid albeit a little slow in sensing motion. Maybe from a bad mfg batch. They were made on a Friday at the end of someoneā€™s shift :wink:

I sent mine back, got a replacement which worked perfectly. You may need to do the same.

So after fighting with these over and over, I FINALLY solved it. The key was to push the program button on the back (with a paperclip) 3 consecutive times while the hub was in exclusion mode. That excluded an unknown device. Then, I repeated the 3 consecutive program button pushes with the hub in inclusion mode and it finally paired with my ST hubs.

The documentation for this device does not jive with how I finally got it to remove/pair and my attempts to contact GoControl/Nortek were a waste of time. They donā€™t seem to have a consumer support organization.

4 Likes

Now that Iā€™ve got my devices working, Iā€™ll ask what has been asked several times in this thread but I donā€™t think it was ever answered directly.

Is there anyway to speed up detection on these devices? My Samsung SmartSense Motion Sensors can turn on a light 1.0-1.5 seconds after I walk into the room. These Linear devices take closer to 4 seconds to respond. Any way to speed that up?

Nope, I donā€™t think there is a way to speed them up. However, positioning them may help somewhat. Motion detectors work best when something crosses their field of motion rather than motion moving straight towards it. Since these Linears are relatively slow, itā€™s best to use them as occupancy detectors or for SHM for intrusion detection. I would recommend the Iris motion sensors to turn on lights, etc. as they are one of the fastest.

15 months later Thanks! Your 3 button push in exclude and include was the only way I got this old device to work again. Cheers!

1 Like

@wjarrettc I know this thread is old, but I just opened up the set I purchased from HD and door/window sensors paired up fine, but having a difficult time with the motion sensor. I followed your instructions on excluding it by pushing the program 3 consecutive times while in exclusion mode and it removed the device. When I click the ā€œAdd a thingā€, hit the program button 3 times, does not find it and stops blinking. Any ideas?

The good news is I havenā€™t had to touch these motion sensors since I paired them 2 years ago. The bad news is that I have no further information or ideas on why they wonā€™t pair for you. And thereā€™s no way Iā€™m messing with mine out of fear that I screw them up. These were a PITA and I wonā€™t buy any of these every again.