[OBSOLETE] Lightwave RF Integration (UK)

Hi Adam,

Could i install what the Pi is doing onto a Synology NAS instead as the server on the network?

Thanks

@adamclark_dev im new to all this I have a pi but can I run this pi UDP on same pi as domotix ??

Iā€™m a bit of a noob, and everything was working fine. Now Iā€™m getting thisā€¦ any ideas?

root@raspberrypi:/var/www# node server.js
Server running

events.js:72
throw er; // Unhandled ā€˜errorā€™ event
^
Error: bind EADDRINUSE
at errnoException (dgram.js:457:11)
at dgram.js:210:28
at dns.js:72:18
at process._tickCallback (node.js:419:13)
at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:499:11)
at startup (node.js:119:16)
at node.js:906:3

The service is already running. That message means the port is already in
use. I am guessing that you are manually trying to start the server.js when
the Forever services is already running it.

Hi Chris, thanks for the quick response. The problem I have is that itā€™s no longer working. Alexa acknowledges the command, but nothing happens.

When you command Alexa to turn on a light, does the little screen on the
LWRF wifi link do anything? It should either show ">>>>>>>>>>.<<<<<<<<<<<"
or ā€œLounge Light Onā€.

I have the newer hub. No screen.

Apologies everyoneā€¦ itā€™s me not checking everything properly. The IP address on the LWRF hub had changed, What a plonker!

See if the service is still running on your Pi ā€¦

1. List all forever services running
    sudo forever list

2. Stop the forever service
    sudo forever stop 0

3. Stop the lwrf js script
    sudo service lwrf stop

Or:

Commands to interact with service lwrf
Start - "sudo service lwrf start"
Stop - "sudo service lwrf stop"
Status - "sudo service lwrf status"
Restart - ā€œsudo service lwrf restartā€

Access your router and assign a static IP address to prevent it reassigning
a new one.

1 Like

Just want to say how awesome this is.
I have been using lightwaverf gear for about six months, but upgraded to smartthings when the starter kit was for sale at currys for Ā£139.99 on black friday. I added some fibaro dimmers and then after using this guide from adam, I have now integrated all of my old lightwave kit into smartthings. Works a treat.
A couple of things i found were, as previously mentioned, some of the room and device numbers are not per the lightwave app. I think this is down to me adding devices and rooms and then deleting them.
A bit of trial and error and I got all rooms working. I will probably reset my lightwave hub and start again when I get time, just to keep it all nice and neat.
Secondly make sure to delete all timers and events from the lightwave app and run everything from smart things to avoid conflicts. This took me about half an hour to set up on raspberry pi. I was not logged in as root so as mentioned before add sudo before all commands. I have now integrated this with the logitech harmony hub I had and got an echo dot on offer for Ā£39.99. Everything is working awesome. I had moved from a house where I had installed an expensive clipsal c bus system and was quite apprehensive about z wave, zigbee, etc. Big thanks to adam and everyone else on here for all of there help.

2 Likes

Hi All,
Just reading this thread and I also like the LWRF kit.
I know nothing about the raspberry.
Any chance one of you guys can point me in the right direction of which one to get. Just looking at ebay for guidance and see various types. Thanks.

Hi Bob,

The LWRF kit is good, best-looking switches and sockets by far. The Raspberry Pi is quite easy to get to grips with. There are tonnes of videos to support you.

The Pi 3 is retailing at around Ā£30+, here is one on Amazon.

That is just the board, though. If you are starting out I would recommend the kit, which retails for about Ā£50. I use either the Pi Hut or Amazon.

Once up and running they cost a pittance to run at 2w/hour. I have had mine on continuously all year. It serves my LWRF > SmartThings integration, my LWRF > Alexa integration, my LWRF Energy Monitor > SQL backup and my Alexa > Sonos integration. And thatā€™s just on one of my many Piā€™s. The latest Pi 3 is by far the best, faster processor, more ram, wifi and bluetooth built-in.

Hope this helps.
Chris.

Hi Chris.
This is just the information I am after.
I will invest in one and then it will be playtime over christmas.
Now you are running your LWRF via the Pi, what sort of lag times do you get.
Lets say to turn on a LWRF light switch with motion using a Fibaro or ST motion sensor?
Just trying to get a feel for this type of setup.
Once again, thanks for the info.
Bob.

Hi Bob,

I am controlling the LWRF lights and switches via Alexa > ST > Pi > LWRF. From saying ā€œAlexa, turn on hall lightsā€, it takes approximately 0.5 - 1.5 seconds to turn on. If I have just turned them, it typically takes < 0.5 seconds to turn them off.

Obviously miles faster than the native Alexa LWRF skill and any IFTTT variation, as that method uses the internet. So there is a lot of lag. With the LWRF <> Pi <> ST integration, it is all on your local network, so lag is virtually non-existent.

Incidentally, a while ago I developed direct integration between LWRF and Alexa, using Pi, but without the need for ST. But since I have ST, I still use this method. A few days ago, LWRF finally revised their LWRF API, which makes it easier again.

Enjoy!
Chris.

Thanks Chris. Sounds good and keeping things local as much as possible is the way to go.
I donā€™t have Alexa but do have a Google Home and will integrate this in as well.
Iā€™ve ordered a Pi 3 but have never had any dealings with one.
Hopefully I will be able to get it working OK with LWRF.
Thanks again for your input.

Are you happy with Google Home? Trying to convince myself I donā€™t need one ā€¦ but losing the argument.

So far Iā€™m not doing too much with it.
Just doing basic stuff like turning on and off lights and turning my Sonos speakers on and off to play the radio.
Does it all ok.
I have a couple of ifttt recipes but like I said really need to do more with it.
It would be nice to be able to change ok/hey google to something else. But thatā€™s minor stuff.

I assume that is all via IFTTT? Or locally?

Yes, itā€™s unfortunate that both Google Home and the Amazon Echo restrict their devicesā€™ wake up commands. Amazon has a choice of ā€œAlexa, Echo and Amazonā€. That is fine until you have more than 3 devices in the same house. Still hoping to find a way to customise (hack) this.

Yes, ifttt.