Lights turn off while I'm still in the room

In the end, you may have to try a different motion/luminance control. IDK. I don’t have any luminance devices but I have 2 motion sensor setups doing what you’re trying to get to and they work flawlessly. I may try a luminance device just to fiddle with it.

So far the testing is going well. Lights are staying on when the should and turning off when they should. It seems having the turn on and turn off actions in the same app was causing all sorts of issues.

I’ll reply with another update in a few days.

Forget what I said. Nothing seems to be working right tonight even when I take the lux out of the equation. I’m very frustrated. Why can’t I just get a lamp to turn on with motion below a certain brightness, stay on while I’m in the room, and the turn off 8 minutes after I leave the room, or when It gets bright again.

Seems pretty basic to me.

So nothing changed? It just stopped working? If nothing is working well, try resetting the hub. I understand your frustration, but when a lot of changes are made I’ve noticed the system acts a little sluggishly, even appearing not to be working at all, as everything updates and propagates.

Maybe I’ll try that. I had it set up in rule machine as a rule for on and a rule for off and it seemed to be doing exactly as it should but then tonight, turned off when I was still in the room then wouldn’t turn back on.

I don’t know if Rule Machine has the ability to refresh the Rules. I have never used it. I know when I make changes in Smart Rules, I can send a refresh out to ST world. I have to think Rule Machine has something similar. I’m sure others have some ideas. If it was working for a while it can definitely be made to work again!

Your rule in Rule Machine does not appear to be setup correctly. For what you want, the Action for False should be delayed off pending cancellation. The way it is currently set it will turn off after 12min no matter what.

So a cancelation would be the light trying to turn itself back on again? I was also having issues with the light sometimes not turning off.

Right now I have a rather complicated set up that seems to be working. I’m using rule machine to turn on the light with luminance and motion. Then I’m using smart lighting with two different automations to turn off. One for luminance and another for motion. From what ai could tell. Trying to do it all with one app was causing the system to be confused, especially with both luminance and motion. Throw in the delayed off and it wasn’t sure what to do. I now have 3 simple apps for each light. It seems a little more sorted. The next few days should prove it out.

The delayed off is the issue. I have been having trouble with all of my lights that use a delayed off. Sometimes they work great, and other times they stay on.

Well now that it’s working, keep track of what you’ve done and try and streamiline it using one app. Other than the luminance part of the equation, what you’re trying to accomplish is not that unusual or radical.

The cancellation is for a delayed action. For example, say you have a Rule setup where lights turn on with motion and when motion stops it turn off the lights after a 10 minute delay and is cancellable. When motion stops the 10 minute timer begins, however if there is motion during that 10 minute period the action of turning off the lights is cancelled. When motion stops the next time, the rule will start the delay timer again.
Also, I would think that using one rule for on and one for off based on motion could be tricky. Need to make sure both Rules aren’t contradicting each other.
Finally, there us a known bug with scheduling which could affect lights turning off after a delay. It is a general SmartThings issue that can affect all schedules not just Rule Machine.

Thanks Ernie. I have four lights working this way currently. I may change one to all all inclusive Rule Machine with cancellation to see how if behaves.

Thanks for the tips guys.