SmartThings Community

Lights Randomly Turn On

(Kurt) #47

I have had this EXACT thing happen too! The flashing lights thing.

(Kurt) #48

I have had this exact thing happen too. There were no log entries in smarthings as well when it happened

I have had a Hue light in the bedroom turn itself on randomly during the night for the past couple weeks. Two in kitchen did the same thing tonight. They are connected to a Hue hub. I also have a wink hub with several GE Link bulbs in the house. No problems with those. It’s not a Smartthings problem because I don’t own a Smartthings hub.

I’ve had the Hue bulbs and bridge for about a year with no problems until a couple weeks ago. Problem is only with Hue.

(Realy Living Dream) #50

I’ve been talking to Hue support about the issue. It seems ( to me) with the new app every update of Hue FW or app totally screws with the V1 Hue hub. Things like reinstalling all those stupid included scenes that turn your whole house red-yellow at sunrise and sunset.
They will not show in the app, since the new app does not have “scenes” it has " routines" . You have to login to you meethue web interface , find and delete them there. Unless you like being woken up by the Bloom by the bed coming on at 5am, or watching a movie at 10 pm and having the lights all go form your dim blue movie mode to bright red/yellow sunset .

(John Brackney) #51

My bedroom and Kitchen lights have been doing this for weeks, 6:15am every time. I think its about time ST got the lead out of their arse and do something with their lives. hands down the commands are coming from the hub, if this is a security breach I would hope it would have been fixed already. This just goes to show you they dont care about their customers, just that bottom dollar.

(Jalen Rollins) #52

Our hallway light was supposedly turned on by itself at around 4am last night and again tonight. I woke up and seen it on which actually kind of creeped me out. Bathroom light kept coming on by itself last week too. And that was weird cause it’s ran by motion. It came on about 5-6 times off and on while people were over.

(Bob) #53

Funny you should say that as my hall light played silly beggars last night.
Checking the logs I could see that it was the ST motion sensor that was triggering it.
There was no motion. (Unless I’m sleep walking on the hour every hour).
I have reset it and will see what happens.

(Ben W) #54

Check the motion sensor. Did it report motion? If it did then the light should have turned on.

Now the question is why did it report motion. Motion detectors work off of heat sensing, so sometimes a heater vent, light, draft, etc can cause a false positive. Even a spider or fly close to it can trigger it.

A good @JDRoberts post

Can anyone else confirm that this is a Power fluctuation problem?

I have several Sengled Element Touch Bulbs that will randomly energize to their previous levels. The family has kind of gotten used to it but the house guests found it to be frustrating if not terrifying in the middle of the night. I have had to remove them from the kids room.

The only way I can assume its the power is that by toggling the power to the bulb seems to produce the same results. However, without monitoring the power quality to the house I have no way of concluding its a utility problem or ST.

This didn’t seem to be happening several months ago which leads me to believe its the ST hub, but then again the power feed has too many variables for me to draw any conclusions (Neighborhood loads/ usage, New devices in the house, harmonics etc)

Ahhh I’m at a loss!! Should I ditch these bulbs that for ones that can handle the voltage fluctuations? Is there anything documented about this problem?

Hey guys, any response from the ST folks on this? I’m experiencing random lights coming on, and sometimes even the motion sensor is triggering even though we know for sure it wasn’t supposed to, so it’s kind of creepy, annoying, and pretty frustrating all at the same time. Any ideas what’s going on? Thanks!

(Brandon) #57

Figured I would chime in here. Just recently one of my LED strips keeps turning itself on randomly throughout the day. Nothing showing in the logs that is triggering it, just changes from Off to On.

(Matt) #58

I’ve had this happen twice in the last week now. I’ve now set a core rule up to turn it off if the light status changes between 12am and 6am, so hopefully it will put them back to sleep before they wake me up in future…

(Ron S) #59

Weird issue here as well. Two days in a row, some of my hue lights (not all) turned on by itself. I did notice that my Good Morning routine (based on things start happening between 5:00 AM thru 8:30 AM) based on motion sensor in the hallway which changes mode from Night to Home triggered twice for some reason. Had worked flawlessly for more than 18 months or so.

Out of curiosity, i selected run once yesterday. The routine did trigger once this morning but some of the lights did turn on again of it own. Hmmm.

As I write this, I am getting false motion alert in the hallway. SHM is disarmed.

If it’s just in the last few days and these are zigbee devices, it could be related to the Recent update.

Definitely contact support.

Thanks @JDRoberts, this behavior did start just in the last few days, so I’ll power-cycle my hub, and monitor my devices again. BTW, the OTA update seems to be disabled by default. Thanks!

Because this is zigbee, when you power cycle, leave the hub off of power for about 20 minutes (including removing any batteries). That will force a resynch.

Ok, got it. I’ll leave the hub disconnected, with batteries removed for the next half hour. I’ll report back my observation later in the week, and will let you know if the issue persists. Thanks!

(Brandon) #64

Interesting, my issue is with a zigbee device. I will try power cycling my hub tonight. I tried removing and readding the device last night but this did not fix the issue.

Just reporting back on this: I tried to power-cycle the hub, including removing the batteries, and let it sit for 30 minutes before plugging them all back, and that did not help at all. This morning one of my lights, came on automatically, so the issue still persists.

BTW, I also wanted to mention that the bulbs that’re turning on are random bulbs, and not the same one everytime, and another thing I’d like to mention is that I had an electrician friend of mine do a random check on fluctuations, and he said that he couldn’t find anything abnormal, so just to make sure since some folks have been indicating that electrical could be another problem, but apparently not.

Some additional observation since my last update:

1. Some of my bulbs are randomly getting stuck in ON mode, and trying to switch them OFF does not work, either from ST app, or even Alexa.

2. One of my multi-purpose sensors’ status was rapid going between open/close modes while I was watching it on the ST app, and then I had to manually open/close the door to stop that.

These last couple weeks has definitely been the worst experience with my system, and hope somebody from ST can tell us what the heck is going on? Please? :sob: