Lights on by illuminance & Off at Set Time

I got round this in Smart Lighting by using one routine (set by a lux level) to turn lights on, then another routine to switch them off at a specific time.

When they have turned off I have set mode to change to Night during which time the lux sensor cannot trigger them again. At 08:30 I have mode change to Home during which time the lux sensor can trigger them. The lux sensor is only allowed to trigger during Home mode. See below for one of my lights…

Turn On Large Lamp @ 80 Lux ~ Aeotec Multi 6 equal or lower 80 1:45 pm to 10:30 pm & when in Home mode

Turn Off Large Lamp @ 23:30 Turn Off Specific Time 11:30 pm

Goodnight Change mode to Night automatically perform when at a certain time 11:30 pm

Good Morning! Change mode to Home at the configured time at a certain time 8:30 am

I also have the lux sensor switch off the lights if the light level goes up again…

Turn Off Large Lamp when >250 Lux Turn Off Illuminance ~ Aeotec Multi 6 equal or higher 250

Additionally, in Night mode, motion sensors are allowed to trigger lights…

Turn On Hall & Large Lamp when Motion & <30 Lux Turn On Motion ~ Motion - Hallway “Motion Starts Turn off after motion stops After 2 minutes” Only when mode is Night Only if ~ Aeotec Multi 6 illuminance equal or lower than 30

1 Like

2 simple SmartLighting automations
#1 what do you want to do? turn on if illumination is <=xxx only between the hours of aa:00 and bb:00
#2 what do you want to do? Turn off
At specific time bb:01

1 Like

I am using the Smart Lighting app for this, but want it to only perform it once a day (dusk). Is there a simple way to do that? I am not yet comfortable writing my own app.

Sunset only happens once a day :slight_smile: :

And if you want to use an offset time for example 20 minutes before sunset then you would enter -20.

1 Like

Whereas basing it solely on Luminance it can be triggered every time a cloud floats by.

1 Like

True, but the person I was replying to specifically said dusk. So if you are basing the Smart Lighting rule on Dusk or Sunset, there really isn’t a reason to bring illuminance into the equation. He can simply say run at Sunset and insert an offset slighlty ahead so that it happens just before the sun actually sets.

2 Likes

That was my point. Especially when you are referring to interior lights.

2 Likes

@wes1356 what did you end up doing for turning lights on using the lux value? I’m in the same boat.