Light Switches - where to start? (UK)

Got it! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

My devolo switch is working well. Although I find the Switch a little unresponsive sometimes
it’s just a bit flimsy and doesn’t give enough physical feedback in my opinion.

Will your DH work with a Minimote? I want to assign more button events to mine.
I have assigned your DH to the Minimote, but just get errors in the IDE log.

It will work with the Z-Wave.me / popp key fob. Not the aeon minimote - I believe there is an official DH for that

1 Like

Ok thanks, I’m already using an alternative DH for the Minimote but it doesn’t allow anything other than press or hold

Hey all, just been going through this post. I am from the UK and new to ST scene, like John said I too have seen these on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N7DMWYC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1FZI4DZULQK14 - I know they need a Neutral, I have that option.

Has anyone from the UK tried these?

What is the maximum wattage? Are they same size as a normal UK light switch and how do they fit, screws or clips?

Yeah thoes are my exact thoughts !

I to have tried finding more out online but no mention of it
 Seen the youtube vids on it but poor information!

Wasn’t sure if it was a dimmer as well.

Has anyone tried one of these - http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/z-wave-single-paddle-dimmer-switch-tkb-home-tz55s - It states Maximum load: 300W (resistive) - not generally suitable for LEDs, please test first as some bulbs flicker with this dimmer. I have 6 x 20w square panel LEDs so 120w would like to know if it flickers or not before parting with ÂŁ40.70 with p&p :slight_smile:

What would you recommend then?

Hi, I’m in the UK aswell and have been trying to find a solution to integrate manual switches to intelligent lights. As I’m currently renovating my home i have the chance to wire whatever is needed to get it working, which helps.
All i wanted was a mains powered multiple input device to trigger the smart lights from my existing latching switches, but also boost the mesh network, unfortunately i was unable to find anything like this. So if settled on the Z-Wave Fibaro Universal Sensor using a DH and app by @pukka. Then using CoRE you can create a latching toggle switch condition and connect the input to conventional 1 way of 2 way switches! I also wanted to have door and window contacts that i could use with ST for switching and security, but the only items are bulky battery powered devices or expensive slimmer ones. So again I’m planning to wire standard door and window contacts back to a few places and install a few Z-Wave Fibaro Universal Sensor in some boxes. The only issue is the 12-30v supply needed, but I have multiple PSUs around the house that I’m using to supply them from. Hope this helps someone or if someone else has found a better solution please let me know!

Yeah I have a few and have ordered some more, so far they have been working. I too have them programmed through CoRE set for change. That way through the logic it the light gets controlled through the app or a routine it doesn’t matter what state the input is in just that the next state change will toggle the lights depending on if they are already on of off. I had some initial issues but once I got the condition logic right it seemed fine. I’ll take a look at the dimmers think I did see them but thought they only worked with a load?

I’ll also take a look at these if you say they work! Thanks for your help :grin:

I had seen the Fibaro ones before, there the one that I thought looked bulky but would be fine if I wanted to cover them all at once but I was planning on getting one per window. I do need one wireless one for a window that has already been finished, was looking at this one for that. https://www.uk-automation.co.uk/z-wave-door-window-sensor-6-by-aeotec/?gclid=CjwKEAjw387JBRDPtJePvOej8kASJADkV9TLAARe3hcUdbYg55a6jIxtWwhEqX-jc8EoFmICe6qDuhoCyzvw_wcB
As they looked good and are rechargeable, but them Xiaomi ones are great at that price! How long do they last on average?

Yes that was my plan, there will be some areas that I will just have dumb lamps and use a controller but in specific areas I’m after the colour or tunable white. In all fairness I didn’t think about that regulation and I am a sparks, the distribution board still counts as a isolation point where it’s local. So just need to think about that where it’s not close, but we’ll spotted! Will put one in the hall on the 1st floor and that will do the job!

2 Likes

Late to this conversation, as I have been wrestling with the same light switch issues. My house isn’t even 2 years old but still has no neutral!

I put lightwave RF in a couple of rooms then used Adam Clarks integration to make it work as a device in ST. It works very well and is responsive, I already had PI running home bridge to use. With the right dimmable LEDs it works fine and works with ST with very little delay.

1 Like

This is my no 1 requested thing ie a light switch to replace my current ones without having to change more actual bulbs for smart bulbs. My house is pretty new and so don’t have neutral in either.

There is lots in there US (as normal), but nothing I can see in UK. Is there nothing out there yet? Why what is so different from UK to US?

Just seen that TP-Link have some, would be perfect, but again US only.

Anyone?

Wait and see what LWRF2 looks like when released (hopefully soon), or a Fibaro behind the switch isn’t difficult to wire and gives you unlimited choice of switch faceplate. You’re right that there aren’t many nice units at all in the UK (there are some but ludicrously expensive)

1 Like

But I like my hue. we need a hue compatible light switch.

Or just a ST switch that offered control reliably. I use the Devolo but its not great. it is not fast enough. Tablets with ActionTiles is faster.

there really is not a great solution yet in the UK.

what do you think about these

Personally, I think ZWave stuff from China is often a bit flakey, but I havent seen anything from Singapore to judge based on and this does look more expensive than the flakey Chinese stuff. The things to bear in mind:

1. This costs about the same as a normal UK switch and a Fibaro module behind it. I.e. You can have a regular faceplate that matches the rest of your house, or looks super smart, and then make it ‘smart’ by adding a Fibaro behind it. Hence pick this if you actually prefer the style.
  2. ZWave stuff is country dependent, you need to make sure you get a UK / Europe version/frequency
  3. It says it doesnt need a neutral, but at the same time it isnt a dimmer. This means it will be doing things with passing current while off and seems like it might give problems, either with reliability or with a wide range of bulbs.
1 Like