LIFX and Works with Nest

I think the Nest integration works subscribing data using Firebase. I am not sure they are using cloud to control the LIFX. What I understood is that the client application subscribes data from Nest and whenever a change occurs take action based on the sensor value. But here I am not sure about that.

I agree LIFX developer support should improve drastically. But LIFX can be controlled through Internet by using an local intermediate server. To communicate from outside the network we can use MQTT, Server Sent Events, etc… I created a demo application that turns on/off the bulb using node.js lifx module and MQTT module. The application using Eclipse MQTT Sandbox to send messages. I created a sample Device Type with “Switch” capability and whenever the switch turns on send MQTT and the local node.js server receives the message and control the bulb. Only on/off is implemented. I am working on to incorporate complete control, but as of now only on/off.

@eran, create another comprehensive LIFX example, you can find it here.

Here is a demo video of the sample in action and here is the GitHub repo of my sample…

1 Like