Life after the IDE: Questions and Answers

With the transition to the new architecture, the IDE is in the process of being discontinued. Some features are already gone. Any device using new architecture, such as those using edge drivers, will just show up as “placeholder“ and the information will be incomplete or even inaccurate. (For example, it will probably say that all devices showing “placeholder“ are in the cloud, where in fact all edge drivers run local.)

Don’t try to use the IDE to change anything that says placeholder: you might even break the integration altogether.

http://my.smartthings.com is the new official webpage access to your smartthings account.

At first that page was pretty limited, but as of 29 June 2023 Samsung has now added a number of new “advanced” features to that page, making it much more like the old IDE. People who prefer to work with official features should check this first before looking into some of the community created information display options. Here’s the discussion thread on the new features:

So… how do you do the things that you used to do with the IDE now?

This topic is a place to post those questions and answers. A lot of people will have the same questions, and this should hopefully keep us from getting a bunch of duplicate threads. At the same time, people may have different tips and tricks and methods for getting the information now. So this is a good place to collect those together.

Carry on. :sunglasses:emphasized text

10 Likes

QUESTION:

How do you do a Z wave exclude without the IDE?

Answer in post #4 below from @hmorsti

1 Like

TIP:

Need a Z wave device ID so you can set associations? Or zigbee IDs for group information? Here’s a community-created Utility.

Another similar project, but with a number of additional features is the API browser plus:

You can exclude the Z-Wave device using the App.
Click on your Hub tile, then in a menu (three dots) select Settings and then Z-Wave utilitiesZ-Wave exclusion.
TBH I even didn’t know it was also possible in IDE :slight_smile:

3 Likes

QUESTION:

How can I create a new location mode without the IDE?

Answer: see post 6 below

TIP

Looking for a way to get more detailed information from the new smartthings API using only a browser?

A community member has a project to do just that! It also has some additional cool features like being able to create new location modes and some simple virtual devices.

It works in a browser, so you just need any mobile device or computer connected to the Internet.

It has become very popular, so much so that smartthings staff are now recommending it to customers with specific issues. :sunglasses:

a summary of things you can do with the API Browser+:

• Browse detail info for locations, modes, hubs, rooms, scenes, rules, preferences, profiles, devices, drivers, capabilities, channels, apps
  • Execute scenes and rules
  • Get list of offline devices or devices with low battery
  • Create virtual devices and modes

—————

1 Like

QUESTION

How can I create virtual devices to trigger Alexa routines without the IDE?

Answer: as long as you have a smartthings/Aeotec hub, you can use the following custom edge driver. (If you have any further questions about this edge driver, ask in that thread.)

We are still waiting to hear on an official method for those who don’t have a hub. So far the primary workaround is to create a virtual lock using TAustin’s webpage project, since locks can trigger an Alexa routine.

1 Like

QUESTION

How can I see the route of the ZigBee and Z-Wave devices without the IDE?

10 Likes

I currently use a XBee to get route of all my zigbee devices. I am hoping I will still be able to use it as a “zigbee thing” after driver migration.

2 Likes

Heh, I also use XBee to find all the routes :smiley: The question why it’s not catched by the zigbee-thing driver is on my long list of questions I have not yet asked on the forum. Probably it’s missed because it does not use ZigBee HA profile.

2 Likes

Question:

In the IDE, there is an entry for the hub’s Zigbee radio and one for the hub’s zwave radio that tells you if each is active. This is handy as a troubleshooting step when, say, all Zigbee devices go offline at once.

Is there a way to get this information once the IDE is gone? :thinking:

Answer:

my.smartthings.com/advanced

3 Likes

Question: How do I delete or rename a device now?

Answer: you can do this at the new web interface. Tap on the device tile, then choose the little gear icon to edit it.

https://my.smartthings.com

You can also exclude and delete a zwave device from its device tile in the smartthings app:

2 Likes

There is certainly hub information out there in the API if you know where to look. My feeling is that what there is might be either replaced, or augmented, by something more user friendly.

"zigbeeAvailability": "Available",
            "zigbeeChannel": "13",
            "zigbeeEui": "D043C6786DFA5774",
            "zigbeeFirmware": "5.4.4",
            "zigbeeNcpFirmware": "5.1.2",
            "zigbeeNodeID": "0000",
            "zigbeeOta": "0",
            "zigbeePanID": "9B45",
            "zigbeePowerLevel": "-14",
            "zigbeeRadioDetected": "true",
            "zigbeeRadioEnabled": "true",
            "zigbeeRadioFunctional": "true",
            "zigbeeRequiresExternalHardware": "false",
            "zigbeeType": "15",
            "zigbeeUnsecureRejoin": "true",
            "zwaveAvailability": "Available",
            "zwaveControllerStatus": "1C",
            "zwaveHomeID": "D143C8C9",
            "zwaveLibraryType": "CONTROLLER_BRIDGE",
            "zwaveNodeID": "01",
            "zwavePowerLevel": "full",
            "zwaveRadioDetected": "true",
            "zwaveRadioEnabled": "true",
            "zwaveRadioFunctional": "true",
            "zwaveRegion": "EU",
            "zwaveRequiresExternalHardware": "false",
            "zwaveSerialVersion": "0",
            "zwaveStaticDsk": "98415-56884-23456-87643-98765-66448-98876-00879",
            "zwaveSucID": "01",
            "zwaveVersion": "6.04",
            "zwaveZipGatewayVersion": "0.9.1"
        },

1 Like

If only this stuff was placed in an informational area in the app. Like, I don’t know, the “Information” menu on the hub details perhaps.

3 Likes

Isnt there supposed to be a new app released in the one day… lets hope when one day arrives all the missing pieces re appear

2 Likes

Question: how do you get the manufacturer and model information without the IDE?

Answer: there are actually a few different methods.

As of August 2023, this information is available in the new official web interfaced, on the “advanced” page:

Or you can use one of the following methods:

a) You can temporarily assign the device to one of the utility drivers that displays it, then assign it back to the regular driver. Mariano’s zwave thing for zwave devices or Zigbee thing for Zigbee devices will both do this. You should be able to find both in his channel which is linked at the end of the first post in the following thread.

(EDGE Driver-Mc): Z-Wave Device Config Mc

b) You can query the CLI.

c) You can use a community-created web-based utility like API +

SmartThings API Browser+ ... Now Available to All

See the following discussion thread for details:

How to Get the Manufacturer ID and Model (fingerprint) without the IDE?

2 Likes

Question: how do you change the Zigbee channel on the hub once the IDE is gone?

Answer: you can do this through the advanced page in the new web interface, putting out the warning there, that this might negatively impact your thread devices:

2 Likes

d) The API - You can do this with Post Man, which is probably the easiest. I occasionally do it just with cURL

curl --location --request GET ‘https://api.smartthings.com/v1/devices/my_device_ID_I_Want_To_See’ --header ‘Authorization: Bearer My_SmartThings_Token_ID’

Output:

"deviceId": "device ID",
    "name": "basic-switch",
    "label": "Zigbee Switch",
    "manufacturerName": "SmartThingsCommunity",
    "presentationId": "secret",
    "deviceManufacturerCode": "_TZ3000_f97vq5mn",
    "locationId": "secret",
    "components": [
        {
            "id": "main",
            "label": "main",
            "capabilities": [
                {
                    "id": "switch",
                    "version": 1
                },
                {
                    "id": "firmwareUpdate",
                },
                {
                    "id": "refresh",
                }
            ],
            "categories": [
                {
                    "name": "Switch",
                    "categoryType": "manufacturer"
                }
            ]
        }
    ],
    "createTime": "2022-12-03T18:29:44.250Z",
    "parentDeviceId": "secret",
    "profile": {
        "id": "secret"
    },
    "zigbee": {
        "eui": "2C1165FFFE99BCE3",
        "networkId": "E2C4",
        "driverId": "f2e891c6-00cc-446c-9192-8ebda63d9898",
        "executingLocally": true,
        "hubId": "secret",
        "provisioningState": "PROVISIONED"
    },
    "type": "ZIGBEE",
    "restrictionTier": 0,
    "allowed": null
}
1 Like

Has anyone here managed to get the EDGE devices to show up in Home Assistant? They work fine with DH but they don’t get added if they use edge drivers, what gives?

Just in time (I read it won’t be possible after today), yesterday I used the IDE to change my hub zigbee channel to 15. I needed to modify as my Eero router does not allow me to modify the wifi channel. In the ST app on an android tablet I noticed today that it has automatically modified my future Thread network channel to 15.