LFM-20 Evolve for garage door

Thanks for the reply. This has been driving me nuts! When you say “when the button on the unit is pressed”, you mean button for the opener not the switch I assume? The switch’s button is merely there to doubleclick real quick to make it findable? I’ve tried that and still o good for me but will continue to hack on it.

@jonv Sorry should have been clearer. Once you get the relay installed and before your pair with smartthings test the garage door with the wall button to make sure that still works. Then test the relay by pushing the button on unit itself. One Click, it should open and a second it should close. If all of that is working then it is installed correctly and you just need to get it to pair. I did some serious online searching and emailed Evolve before i got mine but its been great sense.

If the unit was install on another network before you should clear the unit it first. To do this press button on LFM-20 4 times and hold on the 4th time for a while. I forget if it suggest 15-30 seconds. That should tell it to forget any prior programming. After clearing:

1. restart your ST hub
  2. after St reboots hit the button on the LFM-20 2 time as fast as your can (Evolve says they need to be with in 20 milliseconds of each other.) It took me a bunch of tries and i used s screw driver to be able to do it fast enough to get it to pair. You will need to the app to search for it but if it works it should recognize it fairly quickly. I don’t remember if i did it by adding the LFM-20 manual or by using the device type under “dimmers and swicthes” in the app. I know i tried both many times before figuring out how to click fast enough (oh a restarting the ST hub was key). Good luck
1 Like

The fact that the button on the LFM should open and close the door if wired right is certainly news to me. Mine doesn’t.

To recap my wiring: I wired the black, white and green wires from the LFM to same on a three prong replacement cord from Home Depot. I connected the two blue wires from the LFM to the wires coming from the opener wall button control. And then jumped to the opener itself.

Pressing the wall button opens and closes the door properly but pushing the LFM button does nothing. I went ahead and tried the four tap hold then the double tap while searching and I’m just nowhere I’m afraid.

Is the LED on the LFM on? or does it come on with the button push on the unit? That would be sign it has power. The wiring sounds right. I remember when programming mine and fussing with the sync part I had the door going up and down and up and down because every push triggered it. I actually ended up disconnecting the blue wires until i got it synced so i did not have to deal with the opening and closing on every click. Another thought is have you tried switching the blue wires. I think the instruction say it does not matter which goes to which pole but maybe it does. I think i switched mine a few times while trouble shooting. I assume you capped the yellow wire? Maybe time to contact Evolve, they were pretty which to get back to me with help.

No, I don’t see the LED lit at all. When is your lit? All the time or upon pressing a button? I’ve verified that my black and white are receiving 120v. I don’t have a yellow wire at all. I tried reversing the blues but no luck. I’ve opened a ticket with evolve or will return the device for replacement and try again though I’m not confident at all. Thanks for you attempts to help!

Given that yours works in a manual mode then I guess this is not a SmartThiings issue.

I want thank everyone for their assistance and patience! It was indeed a defective LFM-20. I received a replacement from Amazon, wired it up, the LED came on and it switched the dor opener manually and remotely just as described here.

Cool and glad to hear it…

I finally go the time to install this. I got tired of hanging out on the ladder so I disconnected it and trying to pair it at the table. I have tried all the mentioned pairing methods here and only succeeded at increasing my frustration level. I moved everything to within 2 feet of the hub and nothing. It operates manually but will not pair with ST. I am thinking of contacting Amazon to get it exchanged…don’t know how much more I can take of this one.

Do you know why the display on my wall mounted garage door opener resets after I open the garage with the relay module?

Have you tried to Uninstall it from ST? Sometimes devices get partially installed but aren’t actually paired. They have to be excluded from the ST Z-wave network. It’s worth a shot – same drill as trying to include it, but with Z-Wave exclusion going. If that succeeds, then you can try again to install it.

Has anyone had a false open or close using the Evolve LFM-20 relay? (Not caused by bad presence). I’m thinking about installing this relay, if I do I will only control it manually from my SmartApp (to let someone in my house when not home etc).

Thanks

I have two installed. One has been in for maybe 5 months, the other for about 2. Zero issues that weren’t related to presence sensors.

no issues for me either… presence fobs aside!

This looks promising but will it work with 220VAC input in Australia? I see it’s only 110VAC. I want to use it to control a garage door by attaching to a remote and also to control my apartments main entrance door by attaching to my intercom door open switch. If this is not for me, do you know of any similar products that take 220V input? All this will connect to my SmartThings hub off course.

Thanks

I installed the relay and it is working well but I had this happen once:
while I was home, my phone/presence sensor accidentally said it was away and then home and my garage door opened (I have my garage door set to open when arriving home). My concern is that this anomaly would happen in the middle of the night. Does anyone know of a way to ‘LOCK’ it so that you can somehow tell it to ignore the open command when in NIGHT mode or actually create a lock mode for just this purpose?.

@gusmorgan I had mine set up the same way with a presence sensor in both our cars and we experience the same issue. I think phone works a little better but if it runs of battery door opens. I actually removed the open when I arrive function for this reason. I am sure someone on the forum with better coding understanding could make the “Night mode” happen pretty easily. I actually thought about a higher level option that used the both a phone with a presence sensor as a back up to help ensure the garage door does not open randomly. I think there is a lot of “if this then that” program out them but i am not sure about the next step… something like “if this and/or this, then that”.

Hi Willie. You have to use a step down transformer if you use this switch. You can buy them at Jay Car for around $50. They also have a selection of switches that may do the same job but I haven’t tried yet.

Hey guys, managed to successfully set up my hub and pair my evolve lfm 20. Works great apart from one thing.
The z wave virtual momentary contact switch works great to open. But for the life of me k cannot get it to close. The old garage switch works fine. And the evolve works manually as well to close the gate. However using the smart things app, although the switch triggers on and off it doesnt close the gate.
As a z wave relay device, it works fine tapping it twice to turn it on and off and the gate opens and closes with that method. The z wave virtual momentary contact switch only works to open.
Any ideas what the issue may be??

Update : in ‘momentary virtual contact switch’ mode, I noticed that the gate would close or stop when I tap on the switch on and off quickly (about 1 second duration)
While gate is closing, if I tap switch once, gate reopens…
Is there any way to edit the delay for the ‘momentary virtual contact switch’ mode?

You could create a custom device type derived from the Z-Wave Momentary virtual contact switch template. There is a 3 second delay between on and the subsequent off when the “button” is pushed. That delay could be easily modified. I can’t tell from your description of what is happening whether that would solve your problem.

1 Like