[OBSOLETE] Leviton VRCS4

Could the Leviton VRCS4 be used to run Routines? I’m thinking Good Morning, Good Night that would also allow me to arm/disarm my house.

Sure. Same way a minimote can. Both are “button controllers” from SmartThings’ point of view. :sunglasses:

@JDRoberts have you used one? I’m wondering if the LED lights up next to the button you last pressed.

i tried to get the minimote method to work, but it just wouldn’t for me. maybe I’m doing it wrong but no matter what I tried w/ my vrcs4, it wouldn’t register. If someone gets it to work, I’d like to see. I do use direct association, but via a smartapp that populates device ids using zwave commands. not pretty but it works.

led’s is a more complex question. There’s multiple ‘modes’ for vrcs4, and when used as a scene controller vs a zone controller, the led’s work differently, at least that’s what I found.

Have you tried any of the harmony hubs? I have an ultimate with hub and it talks back and forth with Smartthings. I can add Smartthings devices to my remote for added control, and vice versa. Add my activities into Smartthings (the work like switches, on/off)

@ieguz , I’m wondering if you took any further look at the LED code that @ygelfand provided above, that he used with a for a different swtich other than the VRCS-4 ?

This cooper scene controller is gorgeous… did you get it working with ST?

There is a community member working on a device type handler for the Cooper. :sunglasses: You should take any follow on questions about the Cooper devices to that thread:

1 Like

This worked brilliantly with my VRCS4, thank you!! AND, to my surprise and joy, it also worked with my VRCZ4.

The VRCZ4, as has been documented above and elsewhere, is the zone controller version of the VRCS4… but if we disregard its “z-wave grouping” functionality (which isn’t really compatible or useful in the ST world), we are left with a working set of 4 buttons that have one quirk… each button is a rocker, with an “on” side and an “off” side.

@bdahlem, using your Z-Wave Scene Controller device type I’m able to record any push to the buttons on the “on” side of the rockers, and I also get some data logged when I press the “off” side:

In the screenshot above, the “2001” commands appear to be the “off” pushes, which are recorded in the ST app as “Button Was Released”. (I can’t figure out what command “2C02” was, but “2B01” is obviously for the “on” pushes.)

My question is this: is there any way for your device handler to register the “off” pushes as separate button pushes? (Say, buttons 5 through 8.) Obviously it would be great to have ST take action on them. Or, if there is no way to get a payload with the button number, could they at least all be considered, say, button 5? This way I could treat ANY buttons “off” push as a signal to turn off all the lights in the room, for instance.

Thank you for all you’ve done so far!!!

Jake

@bdahlem Just found your comment here: Will the Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z zone controller work with SmartThings?

So clearly you’ve already considered this, sorry! Is there anything I could do to help make this work? I don’t know enough about creating DHs to do this myself, but perhaps (if anyone is willing) I could provide them with logs etc. from my device - I’d love any guidance I can find!

Jake

20 are Basic commands. 2B is scene activation. Both of those would be your every day commands.

2C is a scene actuator configuration command, which implies you had pushed enough buttons that you managed to put the device into a set up mode.

Thank you!! Do you know if the “payload” listed in this log is showing everything the device sends, or just what the installed device handler is able to see/interpret? In other words, can we tell from this log snippet whether or not the VRCZ4 is capable of telling SmartThings WHICH “off” button was pressed?

Text version of log snippet:

1:03:46 AM: debug Parsing 'zw device: 34, command: 2B01, payload: 04 00 ' 1:03:43 AM: debug Parsing 'zw device: 34, command: 2001, payload: 00 ' 1:03:33 AM: debug Parsing 'zw device: 34, command: 2001, payload: 00 ' 1:03:31 AM: debug Parsing 'zw device: 34, command: 2001, payload: 00 ' 1:03:30 AM: debug Parsing 'zw device: 34, command: 2B01, payload: 03 00 ' 1:03:27 AM: debug Parsing 'zw device: 34, command: 2C02, payload: 00 ' 1:03:26 AM: debug Parsing 'zw device: 34, command: 2001, payload: 00 ' 1:03:23 AM: debug Parsing 'zw device: 34, command: 2B01, payload: 02 00 '

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: not in any easy way, which should be obvious from the fact that people have been hoping for this for about two years and it hasn’t happened yet. You definitely can’t change the payload that the device sends.

However, Because this device uses both the scene controller commandset and association, there may be something you can do with it. You should talk to the person who’s working on the Cooper code, which has similar issues. Unfortunately I can’t help, as I am dependent on text to speech software, and you don’t want to try to do groovy with that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And all of that said, please take the VRC Z 4 discussions to one of the threads that are specific to that device. This particular thread is for a different device, the VRC S 4, and it’s going to get too confusing if they get mixed together. Thanks.

Hi Everyone.
I’m having a hard time with these VRCS4. I have already added them as controllers and also their load separately, and changed the device handlers to the ones on this guide. But I just can’t get the buttons to report back to ST, just the first button works as it should, but nothing from the rest of the buttons. Same thing on the live log, no movement when I press buttons 2-4.
Does anyone has a solution? I just want to use them like 4 simple trigger buttons.
Thanks I advice.
Cheers!

Did you try going into the device and clicking the configure button? That ensures all the initialization happens and then the buttons hopefully show up correctly…

I thought the configure button didn’t do anything. Let me try that

@ygelfand - trying to use your code, but adding it as a Smart App gives the following error:

No signature of method: script15054923973451538760723.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script15054923973451538760723$_run_closure1) values: [script15054923973451538760723$_run_closure1@1064ba56] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

Any ideas?

@bdahlem - have you checked out the other contributions in this thread, figured out how to control the LEDs?

my code is a dth, are you installing it as a dth or a smartapp?

1 Like

(Forgot to reply to this thread.)

Thank you, that was the problem.

Your code is a 100% improvement over the stock ST code, thank you… Now if I could only include the lights on the buttons as switchable lights, I’d almost be back to Vera functionality with them!