[OBSOLETE] Leviton VRCS4

It also seems to take two presses of the buttons to get this to work sometimes. Anyone have a thought???

Brian - Is there any way you can help me???
I’ve successfully installed the device, however, I have the following issues:

1. It takes 2 presses on some of the buttons to get a response (i.e., lights to turn on / off)

2. The LED indicators on the buttons are not staying on /off (unsure if the status lights are supposed to?)

Hi Lee.

I don’t know why it sometimes takes two presses to make the smartthings controller respond. I have the same problem, and it, unfortunately, has gotten worse since I first installed. The smartthings controller turns off the LEDs on the buttons because it really has no idea what is going on with the lights after you have turned them on, you could turn the lights off with another controller, etc. so how would it know to turn the LEDs off? Also it shows that the controller saw your button press.

I have many of these switches installed (with and without the internal relays). They all work fairly well but from time to time I do have to remove them from smarthings, reset the switch, and re-install to keep everything working smoothly. If you use these as they are meant to be (a scene controller) the switch LED would go out as soon as you touch a switch in the scene so the LED would not normally stay on all the time once a button is pressed. All in all these work well and I appreciate your efforts making them work with smartthings. I have not experimented with a single light to see if you always have to press twice in that configuration. It seems that if I am controlling multiple groups of fixtures and I have tried using a virtual switch to group the lamps and also just input the lamps in the scene controller app and both methods usually require me to press twice. after that initial two presses things work as expected with a single press.

Thanks, Michael

Long time Vera user, moving to ST Hub v2.

Thank you Brian for your device/app, it’s been invaluable in making the transition, since I have (10) of the various Leviton scene controllers installed.

Couple of points of question:

Question 1:
Under Vera, the lights on the buttons were settable via Zwave, on/off/color… so we could group them into a “Scene” like this:
Scene : Hallway Spots on
– Turn on Hallways Spots
– Turn on 4B.Hallway - Button 1 - Green
– Turn on 4B.LivingRoom - Button 3 - Green

This gave non-tech people an easy way to know not only which light was on (to turn them off) but an indication it worked. How can I help make this work under ST the same way?

Question 2:
The VRCS1-1LZ — Device driver can be applied, but the Smart-App won’t recognize the device to apply to. Any ideas?

Hey! I installed and it works however I am running into a few snags I was hoping everyone could help me with…
First I believe my pot lights (this switch is wired to) are wired in a “Loop”, I’ve been googling and I think this is what its called… I have white wires tied together in the back of my box and two black wires coming from the old switch. I wired them into the VRCS4 using the hot line and the other black to the switch and it powers up and i can program it to control other lights. However, the switch will not actually control the load its connected to. My lights that are hard wired no longer turn on… I’ve tried swapping the wires but nothing I do will make the switch control the wired load… any ideas?

EDIT: So after talking to the folks at Leviton the vrcS4 scene controller switch can not control a local lode. Its designed only to be used as a remote scene controller. The only scene controller they make/made with local lode control is the vrcZ4. So I bought one, followed the instructions and wouldn’t ya know it? IT WORKS!

Just as a little FYI for everyone out there. I just installed at VRCZ4-MRZ and followed these instructions EXACTLY like he has them written in the first post, and it works PERFECTLY!!! So if you the the VRCZ4-MRZ to control a local lode it WILL WORK. I know there are quite a few other threads out there on the community forums that list it as incompatible, but it works flawlessly! SO EXCITED!!! Thanks so much @bdahlem for writing these device types for us and for getting it to work. I needed this local lode control so I am extremely grateful!!

2 Likes

sounds excellent - can i just clarify how you have the VRCZ4-MRZ working in your setup.

If I’ve understood the capabilities on this model, it has a local switch plus four buttons to control other devices. Do you have the local switch controlling a lighting load plus are the four buttons seen as virtual switches in ST from which you’re controlling other devices independently?

thanks in advance, I’m keen to get one and test it out too.

Hi @zala yes I would be happy to…
So the VRCZ4-MRZ is wired into a “Switchable Outlet” that I have a lamp plugged into. The Beauty of the Z model is its ability to control the load that it is connected to. I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t have a random wall switch that I don’t need to actually use so the Z model was a requirement for me.

The Z model is identical to the S model with that one exception. Button 1 of 4 on the Z model is used to switch the load on and off.

So that leaves the other 3 buttons for scene control. As the instructions mention, I am using @bdahlem’s VRCS Button Controller SmartApp to control all 4 buttons on the VRCZ4 (the dim buttons on the bottom do not work, boo). The app allows you to assign the buttons to turn things on, off, toggle, etc but I wanted the ability to set the “DIM Level” of each “Scene” so I created Routines and assigned them to the buttons. This works OK if you want all your lights at the same level, I’d like to be able to control the level of each light individually so I am looking to see if i can get Scene Machine to work with the VRC Button Controller app… I am going to mess with that this week. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Let me know if you want any more info! I am super excited to have it working at this stage!

Hi, when I try to add the SmartApp from “My Apps” selecting “VRCS Button Controller” set the controller to the Z-Wave remote (scene controller) and press “Done” SmartThings is crashing on me. One thing to note, I have a SkyBell door bell which also shows up in the controller selection but is unselected. Any idea why this is happening?

Anyone else having the same issue or knows the workaround?

Does the Leviton RZCS4-1LZ work with ST?

See the existing active discussion above. The wall mount device should act the same way as the other model, but I’m not sure you’ll be able to use the handheld remote.

Has anyone been able to get the LEDs working properly to reflect status on these?

Thanks @bdahlem for your code, and to everyone else who contributed to this thread. I’m coming from Vera after several years of frustration with that platform. Strangely they seem to have it mostly working, but I’m hoping to get it working right with ST.

After several hours I finally have all 4 buttons working. Button 1 has some weirdness I’ll look at when I am more awake.

I’m wondering if there is a way to debug these smart apps, beyond dumping log data. Is there a debugger?

You can ask developer questions in the developer section of the forum. We try to keep that discussion out of the regular threads as it confuses people who basically just use the copy/paste method. :sunglasses:

https://community.smartthings.com/c/developers

Regarding button one, there are two models of this device. One does load control and the other does not. One of the buttons will act differently for those as for one of the two models the device itself treats that button differently and reserves it for on/off of the load it is connected to. So that may be what you’ve run into.

Thanks @JDRoberst yup I did read about some devices doing load control with button 1 and others not. My next step will have to be taking one of these devices out of the wall and seeing exactly what it really is. I put these in over 6 years ago during a remodel and I honestly can’t remember exactly what it is.

The reason I need to get this to work is because I did a foolish thing. I have a lot of lights in my living room and I hid six Leviton Z-Wave dimmers behind the flat panel TV. I then put 4 button scene controllers at either end o the room, where the doors are. So… If these controllers don’t work, no lights. At least I can use the app, my daughter just wants to push the button and have light. And I can’t blame her!

I’ll check out the dev forum thanks. I am thinking I can probably make each button have an “on” scene and an “off” scene. That would be a nice enhancement.

1 Like

@bdahlem - Thank you! I am switching from Vera to ST2 now and your code is great. I got the first scene controller working the first time.

I’m hoping you can help with an LED issue. Vera would tell the scene controller if the scene was active (LED on) or inactive (LED off). Currently, I’m controlling just one light as a test (and saw your response that ST kills the LED because there is no way for it to know the status of the light). However, Vera knew the status based on some polling and ST seems to know when lights are on/off. Any thoughts on how to replicate Vera LED display of status? I see a few other people asking the same question.

@bdahlem - Thanks a bunch for this code and instructions. This worked very well for me. I had a bit of time getting the SmartApp to show up. It wasn’t until I went to the simulator and associated the location with the app. Then it worked. I’m a very happy camper.

Thanks for this, I got mine up and working!!! Mine is version: RZCS4-1LX. It didn’t take long either. Amazing write up. all worked perfect first time through.

This is a model with an IR signal. I wanted an IR to smartthings solution for limited use in my home theater.

I programmed my harmony remote for the IR control, so Now I can fire off 4 smartthings items of my desire from my remote… “scenes” (phrases/routines) or lights/locks/modes all thanks to the smartapp included in the original post.

My goal with this was to setup a home theater… I wanted “scenes” like “Watch a movie” that will turn on my equipment and the lights to get ready and seated. Then “movie on” will dim the lights to off, “pause movie” will dim lights up to minimal level to get up and get something, (then can use movie on to resume), and movie over can dim lights back on and turn off equipment. All from my remote. At this time I didn’t want to do an IR bridge to control my av from smartthings, So I wanted to just have lighting control from my remote, while watching the movie… At some point in the future I may add curtain control to the sequence as well…

Overall I setup macros in my harmony that do all the AV equipment + now send an IR signal to the Leviton controller for the lighting desired.

The one thing this solution wont do for me, is if I am upstairs I can’t send smartthings command to start or turn off the AV equipment since that’s all still IR. I’d need to go the other way - smartthings to IR for that.

Caveat: Of course this means I am limited to 4 smartthings actions from my remote. Since there is no way for the IR to differentiate different Leviton controllers I couldn’t add a second for more IR control… Smartthings would know different controllers as long as I wasn’t using one with IR in the same room as the first, but I am limited to 4 IR capable actions in one location.

1 Like

Firstly, I apologize for my ignorance. When you say "To get SmartThings to control the load, you need to go into the api, and reassign it from ZWave Switch to my VRCS2 Button device type " Where can I find instructions on how to accomplish that ?