[OBSOLETE] Leviton VRCS4

Me too! And the current reliability of this device? On v2 hub? I’m running a few Enerwave SC-7s and they are fairly useless right now.

I’ve tried to get my ST Hub v2 to connect to my VRCS4-M0Z so many times, but no joy. I’ve followed the instructions from @bdahlem exactly, but the Hub just doesn’t find any Things to connect to. I’ve brought the Hub right in front of the switch, but still nothing.

Has anyone got any more tips for how to make this work?

Thank you!!

Jake

Are you positive it is no longer paired with your V1? Its a bear to disassociate the VRCS4s. It won’t pair with the new hub otherwise. I’ve had to kill the mains power for that type of switch to be sure its memory is cleared and it is truly ready to pair to a new controller.

1 Like

FYI to anyone who has been looking for a Device Type & Smart App for their VRCS1-1LZ…@bdahlem’s solution for the VRCS4 works great for this controller. Just skip the last 3 button config screens.

I have only tried this on Hub V1- I’ll check back in when I switch over to V2.

My lighting array using this switch controller broke when the new ST app with Hub V2 was rolled out. It worked before and then it didn’t.

And now its working again. So thanks @bdahlem!

I have about ten VRCS4-M0Z. I’m just about to migrate to the v2 Hub. Can someone confirm the custom device types and apps will still work? Otherwise I’m not upgrading!
Thanks

I can confirm the M0Z works on V2. Just hooked it up, head buttons1 and 3, app saw it and added it. Added the device type to IDE and reset the remote to controller as stated in original post. Installed the app via IDE, and I have all 4 buttons setting my modes, Good night, morning, etc… Worked like a charm.

Thanks @bdahlem

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks Leroy!

can I use this device type for Aspire RFWC5?

Just installed VRCS4-M0Z on my V2 hub. The 4 buttons work perfectly but the dimmer function (bottom toggle) does not work on my 2GIG WD500Z dimmer switches. @shizzle or others, does the dimmer work for you and if so, is there anything different that you did in the installation?
Thanks

I have several VRCS4 (with and without relay) working on a V2 hub. Thanks so much to all involved in making this work. I have a couple questions and I’m hoping someone has seen the same issues and has a resolution.

1. when controlling the relay remotely the configured button light does not update but when controlling the relay from the button the remote app updates as expected (anyone experienced this and is there a fix?).

2. When using the toggle function in the app for Sonos speakers the ON toggle works but the OFF does not (anyone experienced this and is there a fix?).

I would also like to hear if anyone has been able to make the dim buttons work with z-wave dimmers or Philips Hue bulbs. We are in the middle of a bit of home remodel and I have several options for lighting to sort out and the VRCS4’s controlling z-wave controlled hard wired LED groups and also small groups of Hue lamps (6 to 8) would be my first choice.

Thanks in advance for any and all help! Michael

I just installed my ST V2 today, but I had been using Vera Lite for the last year. I have three VRCS4-M0Z controllers that I was able to program with the Vera Lite. I have installed the new device type and the Smart App by @bdahlem. They seem to be working, somewhat. I created four “routines” in the mobile app, and tried to assign those to the four buttons on the controller. They show up under “Activate these phrases” as “Hello Home Actions.” With everything set up that way, I can get buttons 2 through 4 to run their respective routines, but I can’t seem to get the first button to do anything. The button is lit up, but it isn’t working. During the programming, I left the “Use switch 1 to control relay,” and just programmed it as a button on the next page. I did not wire the first button to do anything special during the installation.

My other issue is that this controller worked a little differently with Vera Lite. Each button over there was designed to do two things. If you pressed it, send a scene command and light up green (it would stay lit), but when you pressed it again, it would send a different scene command (and no longer be lit). That second scene command was set up in my system as “turn the lights off”. So first press would turn the lights on (with green button light on), and the second would turn the lights off (with green button light off). Programming this was accomplished with simple drop down menus in Vera Lite, choose the “on scene,” and then choose the “off scene.” Can we do anything similar over here? Also, The dimmer switch worked naturally over there. It would control the light levels for the last button that you pushed. Has anyone gotten something like that to work? Thanks!

Anyone have any ideas? The controller is recognized as a zwave controller and all the (4) button pushes are showing up properly in notifications, however I am getting 3 pushes and one release for every physical button push. None of the smart apps including @bdahlem’s app, button controller, or Rule Machine will seem to acknowledge that the buttons have been depressed.

I actually have the VRZCS4-1LX, which I believe is the Gen 1 unit.

Hi All,

Before I plunge in on this I’m looking for some advice.

Today all my Leviton RF+ devices are paired with the Leviton USB key and I use Vizia RF+ to configure all the scenes on the Leviton 4-button Scene Controllers. In addition I have the Leviton Z-Wave Serial Controller included, which plugs into my Leviton\HAI OmniPro alarm.

I have tried adding SmartThings as a secondary Z-Wave controller but that doesn’t appear to work… I was advised to use SmartThings as the primary controller. But I don’t want to do that if I can’t a) program the scene controllers so they work independently of SmartThings and b) my alarm can continue to control the lights.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

You can do this, but you will end up with a mess. You can set up SmartThings as the primary, and then set up the Leviton as secondary. Then the Leviton can do whatever it does now. The problem is that ST won’t see anything the secondary does. So ST’s view of the lights won’t reflect the actual state, so most of the automations will fail due to being out of sync.

My advice: this won’t work. Rethink what you really need. If you go with ST, you would lose what you have now, and have to find other ways to do the same things, excluding your controller. Or, what you have now would not really be a part of your ST setup.

I ended up getting everything working. I think the key was I had a very hard time connecting the unit first time through due to the distance between controller and ST hub. A went out and bought at 25’ Ethernet cable and excluded the scene controller, reset it and then included again. I then configured it while watching the live logging to see the commands sent. Now everything works like it should.

I am firing routines directly in the scene controller smart app. I have assigned button 4 to fire an OFF routine. Is there any way to fire this routine based on the individual button release instead? Right now the scene buttons seem to toggle with the LED going on and then going back off upon second press.

Thanks to all who have helped.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback.

What I really need is:

a) My in-wall controllers need to continue to keep my wife happy :slight_smile: I have four scene controllers that each have four scenes like Cooking, Dinner, Movie etc. ST doesn’t really need to know about this association but I’m not sure how to program these with out Vizia RF+
b) My alarm can turn lights on and off via the Serial Controller that is another node in the Z-Wave network
c) ST can do all the funky stuff

My thinking is that if my USB stick is a secondary controller what it programs (the association between scene controllers and switches) doesn’t need to be understood by ST. Once the programming is done I never actually use the USB stick for day to day control…

Sorry if this doesn’t really make sense, it’s kind of hard to link all these things together!

Ben

Can someone explain the difference between the “scene” controller and the “zone” controller? I am looking at a few different Leviton Vizia products and I can’t for the life of me find anything on the internet that clearly explains the differences.

VRCS2-MRZ is a scene controller
VRCZ4-M0Z is a zone controller
VRCS4 is another scene controller.

I think that the zone controller is actually a rocker switch with both an on and off state. The scene controllers seem to but just a push-push button that is stateless. I do understand the MRZ (with a relay) and the M0Z (no relay) tells me if it directly controls a load or if it’s just a bunch of RF buttons (right?).

I know this thread is just for the scene controller, I’m just trying to figure out if it’s worth buying any of these products – and/or if i should be switching to a different hub because I can’t seem to get my smart things system to have parity with the insteon set-up i was using before!

This is correct.

installed the device handler and the smart app. When I try to configure the smart app it does not list the VRCS only my AEON minimote. Any ideas??

Hey everyone,
I’ve gotten this to work well, with ONE exception.
The LED button indicators are NOT staying on when a device/scene is active.
Is this supposed to be the case?
It properly toggles the devices and scenes, however, it does NOT keep the LED indicator on when the scene or device is on.
This can be an issue when the remote is a distance from the devices you are controlling, obviously, so you can be unaware of the status.
Can someone let me know if there’s a way to resolve this in either code or if I’ve done something wrong???