Leviton DZS15

Finally jumped into the Smartthings arena after a not so pleasant experience with that hub the big orange store sells. Returned it and ordered a Smartthings hub.

Anyway, since I couldn’t find any info on the Leviton DZS15, I wanted to let everyone know that it works great with the ST hub. This is the one: http://amzn.com/B00LEWQYHG. I bought this switch the same time as the “bad” hub because the two were supposed to work together.

I wasn’t sure if the DZS15 would work with ST because I couldn’t find any information regarding the product. The Leviton website didn’t even list it. But I was able to register it on the ST hub and so far so good. It even supports instant status updates (after a hub firmware upgrade).

Hopefully this info will help anyone else searching for information on this switch.

It should work perfectly! Home Depot released a bunch of new devices that are the same devices that were already on the market but have the “Compatible with Wink” sticker on them.

I believe it’s the same as the “VRS15-1LZ”.

How does an “instant status update” differ from the updates that we get in ST?

The device wasn’t showing accurate status until I received the firmware update, so initially I wasn’t sure if the DZS15 supported instant status. Contacted Smartthings support and they pushed the firmware update to the hub. Now the device updates its status in the app.

Check out my post here in a different thread:

Gotcha. I see this with my Everspring ST814 thermometer. There is no temperature in the icon unless I go into the device and click the Activity button.

I picked up a DZS15 but am having a rough time getting it wired and working. Admittedly, I’m no electric guru so I’ll try and see if someone can give me some advice.

I’m trying to use the switch to control my outside lights. They are currently controlled by a standard single pole switch. The box has two wired running through it, a black and a yellow. The insulation was removed in the center of the wires and the wires connected to the two terminals on the switch.

I assume then that the black comes from the power source (line?) and goes to the light fixtures (load?). And the yellow does the same. Using the installation guide for help, I decided to cut the black and I determined which was hot and which was not. I connected the hot black to the BK terminal on the DZS15 and the other to the RD terminal. I jumped the yellow wire to the WH device terminal.

I can see that the small green LED on the device lights up (good!). However, pressing the device switch does not cause the outside light fixtures to come on so I have a failed installation. Therefore I haven’t even bothered trying to use ST to control it.

I am updating to relay that I actually did add the switch to ST and I can use ST to make the LED go on and off but still the fixtures do not light which leads me to believe my wiring is incorrect.

Hello Travis I’m having a hell of a hard time with the DZS switches i just bough 3 and the hub recognizes it but cant get it to work properly. How did you get it to pair. I push the buttom until the yellow light was on. the hub recognized it immediately but cant get it to work properly.

Luis

Its been a while, but if I recall, I had to reset them a couple times. To do that you pull the switch out until it pops. Wait 10 seconds, then push it back in. So far the pairing thing has been one of the weaknesses of the whole z-wave/smart house thing.

Hi guys,

My DZS15 is wired & working but won’t pair with the ST hub. It connects to the WINK hub fine - so I disconnect the WINK & pull the switch out. Do you hold it after you push it back in or something? I’ve tried multiple combinations of action to no avail & can’t find any documentation on it. In the ST app it gives you instructions for two completely different items (power outlets).

Thx,

-B

The instant status update refers to how the switch communicates to the hub. I am trying to figure out how to make my switches report instantly, because right now all of my DZS15 switches have nearly 30 seconds delay, which is driving me nuts!

@Tyler is it possible to push a hub update like Travis mentioned to turn on the instant updates on my DZS15 switches? Have an open ticket if that helps…[SmartThings Support] Support request #116248.

I see a lot of confusion about this device. Leviton introduced the DZC line as a lower-cost line, and one way they reduced costs is that they did not pay for the Lutron patent to allow for instant status updates for these models. I’m not sure what firmware updates people are talking about in the posts above, but you cannot turn on instant status updates for the Leviton DZC line. Those are only for the Vizia line.

Leviton confirms this in their published materials regarding the two different device lines.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-DZS15-1LZ-Decora-Controls-Capable/dp/B00LEWQYHG

Decora Z-Wave Controls 15-Amp Scene Capable Switch, White/Ivory/Light Almond

Product Description
The Leviton DZS15 is a Z-Wave enabled universal switch designed for use for most residential lighting and motor applications. A large range of load types are supported including incandescent, halogen and magnetic low voltage, electronic low voltage, fluorescent, and motor loads up to ½ horse power. The DZS15 is fully compatible with the Wink Hub as well as all other certified Z-Wave controllers.

Application
The low-power radio waves travel easily throughout the walls and floors of your home. The DZS15 is ideal for any residential setting for the remote operation of incandescent loads up to 1800W. The DZS15 can be utilized either as single pole or 3-Way (multi-location) switching with the VP0SR-1LZ matching remote.

What is the difference between Vizia RF + and DZC?
If automatic two-way feedback is required, Leviton recommends the Vizia RF + product line, which provides advanced features beyond DZC. DZC must be polled in order to update the status. DZC is not intended to be a stand-alone lighting control system, and thus if zone/scene keypads are desired, Vizia RF + is recommended.

The two switches look identical, so it may be that people didn’t understand exactly which model they had. But there is a big difference specifically in terms of instant status updates (which Leviton refers to as “automatic two way status feedback.”)

1 Like

Ok, I am gonna pretend that I didn’t see your post and keep hoping that @Tyler was right when he said that DZS15 is “the same as the VRS15-1LZ-”. Arghhh, I cannot believe I went out and bought five of these instead of sticking with GE. Thanks for killing my hopes. Now seriously, thanks for the update!

Same case, different insides. The V line are the Vizia models. If you write to Leviton, they can explain further.

I understand, it’s all my fault, I should have done a better research before buying these. I guess I will be paying for my mistake every 30 seconds (lag) at time lol.

Just to make sure we’re all talking about the same thing:

The “instant status” patent applies literally to status update. So you flip the switch, and the question is will the Things tile in the mobile app reflect that change?

If the switch is using the Lutron patent, then the tile status should change very quickly. If the switch is not using the Lutron patent, then there are two options: association or a poll request from the hub.

But again we’re just talking about how long it takes the tile status to update. NOT how long it takes for the light controlled by the switch to go on. The light coming on should still be near instantaneous. It’s only the tile status in the mobile app that might wait a bit.

In most use cases, if you flip a switch and the light comes on immediately, most people don’t care if the tile doesn’t update for a few minutes. You’re standing there, the light came on, so why would you even check the tile so soon? That’s why most switch manufacturers don’t bother to license the patent, they don’t think their customers will see a practical difference.

If instead, what you’re seeing is a 30 second delay between flipping the wall switch and the light coming on, or between tapping the tile in the mobile app and the light coming on, that’s not an “instant status update” issue. That’s a real problem, involving communication to the switch, not from the switch. Typically we’d call that a “command execution delay,” not a “status update” delay.

If you’re seeing a command execution delay, work with support@smartthings.com and they should be able to help.

3 Likes

That is a great explanation. It is worth mentioning that the delay will NOT ONLY affect the tile but some ST apps, such as the Big Switch in my case.

Good point, The Big Switch is a special case where delay in status update for one switch does affect command execution for other devices.

In those cases, better to go with a Leviton Vizia switch or a Cooper switch or another that does license the Lutron patent.

Or use a motion detector for the first “on” since it is not subject to the Lutron patent.

1 Like