Legrand Adorne paddle switch hack (convert to pushbutton)

Is there a way to make the paddle switch stick to on? Basically, the push button would go off and then spring back to the on position.

Ummmā€¦, thatā€™s the whole point of the hack. Momentary.
You seed to set your microcontroller to support a momentary switch, otherwise it will not stay on.
Also, it should be on when pushed, and off when released.
If it is the opposite of this then you bent the wrong tab, for the adornes you need to bend the one closest to the hole in the switch for the optional illuminator.

Iā€™m using it for a different purpose. I have an Sylvania osram bulb in a closet, so the switch needs to stay on all of the time to control it. If you flip it off and then on, it will go on. Also, I donā€™t want it left in the off position. This hack will basically leave it in the off position with a momentary on.

Ok, they why the heck did you bother to hack one up in the first place?
It was never intended for any use case such as this.

Personally, I would blank off the switch and install a contact sensor on the door.

I havenā€™t hacked one yet. I have a contact sensor, but I have a power allowance. Sometimes the time will run out. I want the momentary off. It will allow the light to turn back on if it is off.

The adornes are spdt switches, meaning if you hack one, it could be wired as momentary on, or momentary off.

Any of you looking do have a startup could probably make a cottage industry selling hacked Adorne switches on Amazon ā€¦ they told me they regularly get inquiries about momentary switches yet have no product plans ā€¦

ā€¦ questions I hope you all can help with ā€¦

1. Anyone know if Adorne push switches (product ASPU1532M4 ) can be hacked to make a momentary switch?

2. If you hacked it will it be 100% as reliable as the original or does the modification damage/weaken it?
    cycle through scenes, for example) I assume it would typically want to be momentary ON?

3. For a garbage disposal it needs to either be held open or latch open - I assume they wonā€™t latch when hacked, but can you hold them open?

Many thanks!!

somehow post was messed up ā€¦

this is what was intended ā€¦

Any of you looking do have a startup could probably make a cottage industry selling hacked Adorne switches on Amazon ā€¦ they told me they regularly get inquiries about momentary switches yet have no product plans ā€¦

ā€¦ questions I hope you all can help with ā€¦

1. Anyone know if Adorne push switches (product ASPU1532M4 ) can be hacked to make a momentary switch?

2. If you hacked it will it be 100% as reliable as the original or does the modification damage/weaken it?

3. For a lighting controller that accepts/processes momentary inputs (to cycle through scenes, for example) I assume it would typically want to be momentary ON?

4. For a garbage disposal it needs to either be held open or latch open - I assume they wonā€™t latch when hacked, but can you hold them open?

Many thanks!!

As Mike said in his post above, the answer to #2b is Yes. The switch is SPDT and you could wire it both ways.

#2a and #3 go together. For low currents, I do not see any degradation in reliability. However, I donā€™t think itā€™s a good idea to use the hacked switch anywhere near rated currents (this includes a garbage disposal) - contacts will likely to be displaced when you do the hacking.

Can you post a link for the switch in question? If itā€™s an electronic switch, they canā€™t be hacked in this way, this is for mechanical switches only.

Iā€™m pretty certain it is mechanical though I have not opened it. It is not a rocker switch, but a pushbutton 1-pole/3-way switch.

There is a CAD drawing of the internals on the website but it really doesnā€™t make clear, at least to me (but Iā€™ve never hacked a switch before).

it is a mechanical switch, not electronic, I donā€™t know if it can be converted to momentary or not.
You would have to take it apart to find out.

assuming it can be, do you have experience with any reliability issues I might run into?

just found your video online - awesome, thanks! I could always use a paddle switch, though I like the push idea better.

have you used many of these hacked? Any failures?

after hacking them, they all worked for for over three years (sold house), however they were only controlling the low voltage side of aeon micros, so no lead to speak of.
i donā€™t get why you want to convert these to push button, they are not inexpensive.
your typical 5 button lutron pico is $13 bucks and can do much moreā€¦

Thanks Mike! You inspired me:

1 Like