Leaving SmartThings for.....?

I wont speak to what their company goals are. Just thought id post to show my support.

1 Like

The Oh-la Labs founders are former Hubitat users, thus the connection. There was a bit of a falling out between them and some of the Hubitat staff a while back, once they announced their intention to build and market their own hub. As you mention, it is vaporware for now. It does seem like a cross between Hubitat and Home Assistant to me at this time. It definitely appears to have an interesting, modern UI. I like the idea of a more full-featured, built-in IDE for custom development. I am wondering if they are planning to heavily leverage Node-RED for its wealth of existing integrations? Perhaps this is how they are planning early Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and HomeKit integrations? Just pure speculation on my part.

Always nice to have more options, eh JD? :wink:

4 Likes

Node-red is suppossed to be included out of the box…

1 Like

Yes, exactly my point. I wonder how integral Node-RED will be to many early integrations? :thinking: NR does provide a wealth of options and flexibility.

2 Likes

That’s good, but did you see they want you to buy a separate hub just to run the IDE?

At which point Homeseer is starting to look good to me, but what do I know? LOL!

1 Like

Yes, I did see that. I have a spare Hubitat hub that I use for development, so I don’t find that a ‘new’ idea…but with the increased cpu, ram, and storage, it does seem a little strange to ask users to buy a second hub just for that this early in the product’s lifecycle.

The shipping fees are currently pretty high, about $30USD to ship to the USA. Thus, the price of entry may be perceived as a little steep, especially when considering Home Assistant as an option for true power-users. I’ll be keeping an eye on the OLL’s offering, but for now I am pretty pleased with Hubitat. I have been tinkering with Home Assistant on a RPi 4, and I must say that Hass has come a long way over the past few years.

2 Likes

This forum has been quiet for sometime. It’s a shame that samsung can not just get its act together with smartthings.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.