Latest ST App will not allow Location from iPhone to be enabled

Got the latest ST App for iOS yesterday on a iPhone SE 2nd edition and everything is working fine apart from I cannot enable the “Get your location from this phone”. I have enabled to ‘Always’ allow ST to access Location in the iOS settings for the app. But when I go back into the app, turn on the toggle to use the iPhone for Location, it turns itself off after 2 seconds. This did not happen in the previous App, so something related to the new app version. Any ideas on how to fix?

Uninstall/reinstall the app

1 Like

If uninstall /reinstalling doesn’t fix it, next step is to make sure your location detection is turned off on your phone then go into the IDE and delete the presence device that refers to your phone. Then start the apo abd try to re enable it.

BTW, you will likely have to edit/re-enable any automations that used presence after you get it working again

1 Like

Thanks… jkp and nathancu… I reinstalled the app and also deleted the iPhone mobile presence sensor in the IDE. The reinstalled app made a new iPhone device in the IDE with a ‘placeholder’ device type. I then went into webcore to edit the pistons that were using the old iPhone mobile presence and change them to the newly created one, however, in doing that, the piston I was edited seems to haven’t gotten corrupt. I cannot access ST app>webcore>settings>clean cache and rebuild data, not can I delete the piston from the IDE > smart apps > edit as it throws a message that the IDE failed to delete the smartapp. When I go back into the mobile app and access webcore the dashboard is slow to load and I cannot access settings at all in there. I have rebooted the iPhone, deleted and reinstalled the app, used various browsers with cleared caches but still cannot find a way to either delete the rouge piston or somehow make webcore run smoothly like before. Any ideas please folks?

You may want to try again with webcore. ST was having some issues that now appear to be resolved. It is possible it was causing issues with webcore during the period you were trying to make changes.

I was able to delete the piston this morning, but I woke up to 2 issues, one in the IDE and one in webcore. In the IDE when I tried to delete the new iPhone device I got the following error message, any ideas on how to resolve please?

Hibernate operation: could not delete: [physicalgraph.app.EventSubscription#cb9e0b0d-b6e3-40b6-b7b3-db7b7fec2070]; uncategorized SQLException for SQL [delete from event_subscription where id=? and version=?]; SQL state [25S03]; error code [0]; (conn=2422453) Communications link failure with primary host na02useast1-datamgmt.cluster-cojnp12rqtju.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com:3310. Connection timed out; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: (conn=2422453) Communications link failure with primary host na02useast1-datamgmt.cluster-cojnp12rqtju.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com:3310. Connection timed out

I had the similar error when I went to delete my previous presence sensor on Friday. When I refreshed the page, it had been removed after all.

Hard to tell you what to do with the on-going issues on the ST platform at this time.

HOpefully what I have to say may help someone. In my ST account my Iphone has never had any problems. With, without webcore, whatever, never had a problem ever. My wife’s however is a dfferent story. About a year ago after switching to the new app, her Iphone 6 quit all location reliability. Whether in the app, out of the app, ad nauseum… ( usually opening ST app on her phone would get a fresh location update adn trigger the app )
At the time I fixed the issue with webcore and some pistons. It worked perfectly. Fast forward to present. A recently purchased Iphone 12 and shutdown of Iphone 6 did not work reliably either. Previously a ST ticket ( 2021 ) answer they told me that originally it was because her phone was too old and I should upgrade her phone. that I fixed at that time using webcore. But then once upgraded, Mar 2022, the new phone did not work correctly either…
Careful thought about the on going problems led me to consider HER SAMSUNG ACCOUNT… since the phone device is ultimately tied back to each individuals account… About a week ago I accessed her Samsung account ( Samsung US | Mobile | TV | Home Electronics | Home Appliances | Samsung US) and noted that it showed 2 iphones as her devices. Even though one of those had been turned off… SO I deleted ALL phones from her SAMSUNG ( Not smartthings) account and then deleted her from ST and proceeded to re-invite and re-enter her into ST. Since removal of the extra phone in her Samsung account, there have been ZERO issues. I’m no longer using webcore, since that is going away soon anyway. I am using a mobile presence sense to make a virtual switch as a device handler in ST, but I bet I do not even need that. In any case, If you are having immeasurable fails with your geo fence reliability, check on your SAMSUNG account and see how many phones are in there…Maybe it works for you too.

1 Like