Labs Europe

When will Labs be available in Europe?

I would like to access labs smartapp to create virtual contact sensor so I could trigger alexa routine and set up wake up lights.

But for some reasons the labs tab won’t show in my smartthings app.

Does anyone know how to get access to labs or. Create virtual contact sensor?

You can create a virtual sensor using the official web interface to your account

Samsung account

However, it’s unlikely that you will be able to use that kind of sensor to trigger an Alexa routine because although the sensor will be recognized, you won’t have any way to make it change state from open to closed. The kind of sensor that allows you to do that requires that you also have a SmartThings/aeotec hub.

However, the good news is that instead you can create a virtual lock through the web interface, and you will be able to lock and unlock that with a smartthings routine, and you can use that to trigger an Alexa routine.

See the community FAQ for details and more options.

FAQ: Creating Virtual Devices with the new architecture (Without the IDE) (2023)

There isn’t anything in Labs to create a virtual contact sensor.

1 Like

Oh, thank you. I didn’t saw that you can create virtual devices there.
It doesn’t work with contact sensor anymore? I still have one from “old days” and had it set up to change state of himself.

I will try with virtual lock.

1 Like

In the old architecture You used to be able to create a virtual device that was both a sensor and a switch and you didn’t have to have a SmartThings/Aeotec hub to do that.

Now, though, you can only do that if you do have a SmartThings/Aeotec hub.

But if you don’t have a hub, you can still use a virtual lock.

All of this is explained in detail in the FAQ that I linked to in my previous post. :sunglasses:

1 Like