Kwikset 888 Lock Stuck On Checking Status

I just installed (actually just assembled so I could test) a second Kwikset 888 lock in my home. Everything seemed to go fine during install except I did get an error after success that stated “Some security features not supported. Your device has been connected, but it isn’t using the highest level of security. Use a newer Z-Wave device for the highest security”. (I added this in case it has relevance to my issue).

The problem is, when I look at the lock status icon on phone in smartthings app, it is stuck trying to get the status of the lock. Also I can’t control the lock.

I have Excluded and reinstalled several times with the lock within inches of the hub but no change. I did go through the process with live logging turned on and I have a copy of the Live Log if needed. I can see updates every few minutes but no errors. I am using the Smart Things App on Samsung S9 phone. My other identical lock get status updates just fine. I have rebooted the phone with no improvement. Also the hub.

I looked at details of the lock and see the firmware is not as current as my other working lock but not by much 4.71 vs 4.79. For the Status it shows “online” and for Current Status is shows “Scanning”.
Network Security Level shows ZWAVE_SO_LEGACY

Hub is M/N IM6001-V3P01

Does anyone have any ideas of what is going on?
THANKS

It’s normal. It’s using S0 for security since the hub doesn’t support S2 yet. This error message was fixed in a recent hub firmware update, sounds like you hub may not have received the update.

As for the actual pairing, see this topic for an explanation, nothing to worry about:

Thanks you so much for the technical info. That puts my mind at ease knowing that the security error message is normal and not what is causing my status updating issue.

I purchased another Kwikset 888 and it arrived today. It took about 2 minutes using the ST app on my phone to successfully pair the lock and get its status. It works 100%. So, that is two locks I have installed that are working perfectly and one that will not respond with its status info. I am thinking the lock is defective and the problem has nothing to do with my ST Hub or Phone or any settings or how I paired it.

Is there anyway to reflash the lock’s firmware? If it is a Kwikset software issue then maybe that process would correct it. If the problem is a component (hardware) then I would have to give up on it.
Thanks!

You can’t flash the firmware, you may want to check out this post:

Thanks for the info. I couldn’t find anything about flashing the firmware and I guess that’s why. I’m new to zwave products and smartthings hub and this helps explain more about how the communication works.

Since the lock is stuck in “checking status” loop it certainly could be a signal issue. I’ve gone through most steps I could find on this site with no luck. Since I was able to add another unit and it works fine now at 70ft away (on a lower level), I think I must have a defective lock. I’ve ordered another Kwikset 888 and if it pairs and works fine, that will be 3 working and 1 not. I will return the non-working lock.

Again, thank you for helping!

Had the same issue, I guess I’ll be returning it.

I have the same issue.

After including with the Aeotec SmartThings Hub, the app shows “Couldn’t get device’s status” and I don’t see any events. I’ve tried:

• Replacing the batteries in the lock
  • Factory resetting the lock
  • Using a key to lock/unlock,
  • Removing and re-adding the lock to the app
  • Including while right next to the lock

The lock is the only device connected to the hub and is about 10’ away from the hub so a beaming repeater seems unnecessary.

The lock quickly includes and excludes but never shows status.

The smartthings graph API shows me the following info about the lock:
zw:Fs type:4003 mfr:0090 prod:0003 model:0541 ver:4.74 zwv:4.34 lib:03 cc:5E,72,98 sec:86,5D
Last Activity At 2022-11-29 9:06 PM PST
Date Created 2022-11-28 8:04 PM PST
Received Messages From Device: 31
Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 0
Messages Transmitted to Device: 2864
Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 0
Updated Time: 2022-11-29 8:05 PM PST
checkInterval: 3600 s
scanCodes: Scanning
lockCodes: {}

A few years ago, the lock used to be connected with a Vivint system but has been factory reset multiple times since then and the Vivint hub is no longer present.

After including, the app shows “Some security features not supported. Your device has been connected, but it isn’t using the highest level of security. Use a newer Z-Wave device for the highest security” but I believe this is expected due to the use of networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S0_LEGACY

I’m not sure what else to try to get the lock working with the smartthings hub.

I spoke to kwikset support – they believe that Vivint pushes an anti-theft update to locks when they are paired. If the lock isn’t excluded using the Vivint system it ends up being able to pair with other hubs, but not to send status.