Korners

How hard is it to add a Zigbee item like the upcoming Korners (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/korner-home-security-anyone-can-use-and-everyone-can-afford#home) to Smartthings? Is it something a user can do to have the Korners announce movement, or would it take a SmartThings developer to integrate?

It really depends on if they use HA or HS protocols.

Itā€™s a neat sensor however.

I added this to the ā€œthings we donā€™t haveā€ sticky yesterday

Looks cool

I love the design of these, but Iā€™m not a fan of the fob base station design, give me something I can place how I want, not dangling off my router. Hopefully itā€™s open and because itā€™s Zigbee can be used without adding another hub.

Iā€™m not convinced of their reliability. Does it go on the inside or outside frame to work properly? How will it be able to tell if the door is completely closed? A two piece magnet has to be more reliable and tells you more.

Iā€™m also not convinced of their low income market business model. Their customer needs a smart phone with data package, a wireless router with Internet access and Korners. Is that a low income market?

Now it may be quicker and easier to set up and the Korner looks sleeker. But Iā€™ll stick with my Aeon recessed door sensors.

But then again, I like the creativity and wish them luck. Looks like they already made their goal.

It looks like the Korner will be on Zigbee HA stack. So lets hope thereā€™s compatibility. The price without the fob would likely be cheaper than the average door/window sensors.

Iā€™m not convinced of their reliability. Does it go on the inside or outside frame to work properly? How will it be able to tell if the door is completely closed? A two piece magnet has to be more reliable and tells you more.

Iā€™d be really interested to know how the hardware works tooā€¦ sounds like itā€™s motion sensor rather than magnetic sensor. I like the smaller form factor, but I found it a little silly that they were talking about strong windows giving a false positive on magnetic sensors. Iā€™ve never heard of that at all.

Iā€™m also not convinced of their low income market business model. Their customer needs a smart phone with data package, a wireless router with Internet access and Korners. Is that a low income market?

Yeah, the graph was a little silly. They seemed to be trying to say that only rich people got security systems because they were the only ones who could afford it. But there are so many other variables in play thereā€¦ value of individuals possessions, neighborhood, disposable cash, type of home structure.

Iā€™m also not wild about the ā€˜circlesā€™ thing. I think itā€™s a good idea that could quickly end up being like the car alarm. Think about itā€¦ when was the last time you investigated a car whoā€™s alarm was going off? They are so common these days that people rarely do anything different. If you end up on say 5-10 other peopleā€™s circlesā€¦ are you really going to do anything about an alert? Maybe if itā€™s your neighbor youā€™d look out the window. But what if itā€™s your friend who lives five blocks away? OR someone whoā€™s 15 minutes away? Are you going to jump in a car and drive over there to see whatā€™s happening?

I think by itself, it seems really limited but if itā€™s price per tag can remain at below $30 per unit, hopefully around $20 each, it can be really popular simply because itā€™s cheap. And since itā€™s a Zigbee HA stack unit, it can be used on all the new and up and coming HA hubs so people will simply be picking it up and populate every single door and use it as a part of the automation scheme.

That a good points, @nomisr, but I do wonder a little bit about how it would be able to check for movementā€¦ assuming itā€™s using accelerators to detect activity.

Doors are okayā€¦ but a window youā€™d need it on the part that opens/moves. Might still workā€¦

@chrisb I have a feeling this might be one of these too good to be true type of things like the quirky spotter. Thereā€™s a good reason why the alarm companies have been going with the good ole tried and true magnetic sensors rather than the motion sensors. Itā€™s probably more reliable and youā€™d think the cost would be cheaper than a motion sensor.

i got my Korner sensors in this week. Is it possible to add them to ST ? trying to reduce the number of apps i need to use to manage my home
thanks

First step is to see if ST detects them and what it detects as. If it detects as a unkown device, the below code can help to discover what zigbee clusters it supports, which is the first step in writing a device handler.

You can install this in the IDE, set your unknown device to this, open up live logging, press refresh in the ST under this device and then post what is logged in the live log

metadata {
definition (name: ā€œZigbee Testā€, namespace: ā€œtierneykevā€, author: ā€œKevin Tierneyā€) {
command getClusters
}

tiles {
standardTile(ā€œthingā€, ā€œdevice.thingā€, width: 2, height: 2) {
state(name:ā€œdefaultā€, icon: ā€œst.unknown.thing.thing-circleā€, label: ā€œPlease Waitā€)
}
standardTile(ā€œrefreshā€, ā€œdevice.imageā€, inactiveLabel: false, decoration: ā€œflatā€) {
state ā€œrefreshā€, action:ā€œgetClustersā€, icon:ā€œst.secondary.refreshā€
}

main "thing"
  details(["thing","refresh"])

}
}

def getClusters() {
ā€œzdo active 0x${device.deviceNetworkId}ā€
log.debug ā€œGet Clusters Calledā€;
}

def parse(String description) {
log.debug ā€œparse description: $descriptionā€
}

1 Like

@kevintierney sorry for the late reply. I tried adding the tags to my Smarthings hub (keeping them close to the hub 1-2 feet) and the Hub would not detect them

thanks

Thatā€™s not a good sign. If ST wonā€™t even detect it as an unknown device, it probably wonā€™t work. Is there anything that might need to do to put them into a pairing mode?

Such a shame, really wanted to get this working with SmartThings. I tested myself and also can confirm itā€™s not detecting. Will contact Korners to push for integration. At least allow arming and disarming through SmartThings automation would be good.

1 Like

Big time agree on thisā€¦ the Korner system is very easy to setup and use and some minor automation would be very welcome (ie. automatic arms based on Away Mode).

Anyway, Korner would have to get involved because the setup would not be as simple as trying to add a Zigbee device directly to the ST hub.

Korner would likely have to write an integration similar to that of Hue to fully integrate but the uses for these sensors would be great and endless (ie. turn off A/C if a door is opened).

This is the response from Korners :frowning:

Justin, we are considering inter-operability with other products and standards, but unfortunately it will be some time before we can allocate resources in that area given all of our other priorities.

This is in reference to case #[[7b5ef98e6977a34e77c19663cc1e2a4d4a4e19ad-528814777]]

Sounds like itā€™s a dead end.

I am hoping to get my delivery of these anyway now. Hope this gets figured out

The Korners work and seem to be a viable solution for an alarmā€¦ BUT it seems they are merely vibration sensors and not open/close sensors which means that you (as a ST programmer) would only be able to set triggers based on vibration.

Now you can try to guess whether a vibration equals open or close (ie. first vibration open, second equal closed), but thatā€™s sort of tough.

More importantly, we will definitely need an API from corner to enable the most critical function which is the arming/disarming of the system.

Corner posted a blog about a patent issue over arming/disarming their system in their app based upon geofencing (which is a big let down). However, this would be incredibly simple to accomplish in ST and would be very welcome.

So I was trying to create a SmartApp that will arm and disarm Korner based on mode in ST and was copying this that was created for Arlo before Arlo had official ST integration:
https://community.smartthings.com/t/netgear-arlo-mode-management-autoarlo/34617

However, I am getting stuck at finding the httpPost for used to turn arming on and off. It seems like instead of running a httpPost call, the site calls a js script instead?
I am new to Java and not a programmer, but do have some base knowledge on programming.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.