Keen Smart Home Vents

No, we need to find a way to add it to ST. It’s on my to do list for today.

1 Like

I installed by two vents last night, I had to cut the tabs off to mount them in my 1950’s floor register (gasp), but it all worked out.

I set up two rules in Rule Machine, to open and close the vents at night time based on room temperature, and keep them closed during the day as they are upstairs bedrooms.

Everything fired fine and seemed to do what it was supposed to.

My only issue was when I go through recent activity on the vent to see when it opened and closed there are so many temp/pressure entries that I can’t go back far enough to see what happened.

Can I view those events through the API and filter them? I know you can do live logging but can I view historical events, or even filter based on date and time?

Cheers,

Matthew

Hi @pfeifer,

Yes, you’d need a separate temp sensor (as the one embedded with the vent is affected by the airflow).

My smartapp, called ScheduleTstatZones, can create the physical zones (using the vents) inside your home according to the schedules that you configure.

In the mornings, you may want to direct more heat/cool airflow at your downstairs/upstairs rooms;during the day, it may be only downstairs; and at night, only upstairs.

This is what my ScheduleTstatZones smartapp does right now. It’s compatible with any thermostat, any motion/temp sensors connected to SmartThings, And, it does much more than just controlling the vents, it is also able to average out the temperature in your occupied rooms and ajusts the setpoints accordingly (just like the ecobee3 thermostat with its remote sensors, but with any connected temp sensors).

They are also more optional features that you may need or not depending on your requirements: for example,it can control your fan settings or adjusts the thermostat mode.depending on an outdoor temperature threshold.

If you want more details, refer to the community wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones

The smartapp was developed over a long period of time (almost a year now). It’s now fully operational.

See this thread for the long beta testing leading to the final product.

I have several conributors who are using right now, and they seem pretty happy with it.
Regards.

Maybe it makes sense for you guys, but it didn’t for me. I was asble to connect the Keen hub to ST

how did you get the keen hub to connect?

Just went in an start the adding new device and it showed up as a thing with a zigbee id. I don’t speak zigbee so I have no clue if it’s actually repeating anything…

@Mike_Maxwell I have an 8 vent system too and would like to join the beta test as well!

Thank you. Looks great. Are there any suggestions on specific temperature sensors? We already have a security system with sensors on all of our windows and doors so not in need of a multi sensor like SmartThings produces.

@yvesracine - looking at the screen shots for the app you created is there any way on a single screen to see the current temperature and set temperature for each virtual zone with the ability to temporarily override?

@pfeifer, you can use the SmartSense sensors or others. Personally, I use the wireless tags (http://wirelesstag.net/) and I love them! I have 8 of them at home for my main rooms.

The current smartapp does not allow to see the current temperature for each zone; you usually execute it only to configure your rooms, zones and schedules (with your setpoints and fan settings), and then it reschedules itself for applying your zone settings at the right time.

You can run the app manually anytime to apply your schedule and zone settings at a given time.

Regards.

They look awesome but what wireless technology do they use? A little spendy though…

More details here:

Well, the price is not so bad: $30 for temperature & humidity in a very small package. You have to pay for the hub ($45) also.

The ST integration is also very reliable:

Regards.

1 Like

The Fibaro Door/Window sensors are very nice. They report temperature in fractions of a degree, and send the data to the hub when the temperature changes by .25F The sensors are quicker to respond to changes than others, and are reported to be more accurate than other brands. Net is that temperature can be controlled very well with these.
They are also tiny and come in several colors to match your decor.
The only downside is that you have to install a small temp sensor chip inside them yourself (Involves bending/clipping three small wires to fit under connecting screws in a small space.)

The HSM200 are real nice. Zwave and plug in so they can send data all you want. They are pricey but they work well

1 Like

Except for the fact that I don’t have power outlets in the middle of interior walls at eye level, I guess those would work.

That’s clever. I did not know they had that feature. Given that these are generally attached to exterior doors/windows, isn’t that a problem? My exterior doors are noticeably cooler than, say, the interior walls of the same room and I expect the ambient air around them is, as well. How did you work through that?

Why do they need to be “in the middle of interior walls at eye level?”

It’s a stretch but maybe because it would be the ‘average’ temperature of the room since heat rises?

I could be wrong though.

I guess in that case you would need to have a sensor suspended by string hanging in the middle of the room? :wink:

1 Like

If we’re getting really technical, it would also depend on where the vent was as well :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

They don’t, elevation isn’t that much of an issue.
Bad locations are on exterior walls, or under/near a vent.
Temperature is just a number, in the end is the room too hot or too cold?
I’ve not even bothered to calibrate mine, wasn’t worth the effort at this point.