Just wanted to say - Thank-you, Community!

Good morning community! I just wanted to say thank you. I switched from IRiS to ST 2 days ago and I am simply amazed. At this point, all but my IRIS camera has worked with ST and I am amazed at the support the community has for one another. Every one of my questions to date I have found an answer to in the community! You all are awesome! I am still learning the lingo and where/how to get device drivers and such. Keep up the great work!

13 Likes

Welcome! :sunglasses: The community is definitely great.

As far as lingo, the following FAQ on using custom code covers some of the basic terms and might be worth reading. ( this is a clickable link)

As far as where you find the device drivers, which smartthings calls device type handlers, usually the fastest way is to check the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki. There’s a section for smartapps, one for Device Type handlers, and then one for project reports. You’ll find the actual code in the device type handler section.

Project reports take a broader view, and cover many more topics. Be sure to check out the “get started” list and the “impress your friends” list in the project reports section as well. :tada:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

I too made the switch from Iris to SmartThings about a year and a half ago after being an Iris fanatic for several years. To be honest, I have never looked back. You will find this community to be much more engaging, thoughtful, and encouraging than what you were used to with Iris.

My last word of advice… Do not view at the loss of your Iris camera as a negative because they were never considered to be decent cameras. Unlike Iris, you have options in this space. You will quickly discover there are numerous camera system options available such as Arlo and Blink. Both of which have very robust SmartThings support. There are also options for directly integrating WiFi cameras with SmartThings too.

There is nothing Iris can do that SmartThings cannot, however there’s so many things you can do with SmartThings which cannot be done with Iris. Openness is a real consumer benefit. It’s too bad Lowe’s has still failed to realize this. You’ll never regret your decision to switch!

Welcome aboard!!

Cellular backup. Just sayin’… :wink:

https://support.irisbylowes.com/link/portal/30143/30206/Article/822/New-4G-Backup-Service

Every system has pluses and minuses, the key is to find one that works best for you.

Technically yes, but consider that negated with the new ADT hub, although that does require a painful migration to existing users. :smile:

Unfortunately The new cellular backup feature in the new ADT/SmartThings security panel will only work to call the ADT monitoring center for alerts from the new ADT sensors. It doesn’t support any of your other home automation rules or devices so it’s not an equivalent feature. :disappointed_relieved:

Maybe someday…

I have been away from Iris too long but I believe that cellular backup only works with Iris security as well.