Join the Developer Discussion Calls Every Other Week (archived)

and influence others???

1 Like

How to make cocktails? With Hello Home phrases of course.

1 Like

How to play Halloween pranks with ST?

ST v2. Please somebody ask this and post. I have a stress test
 :frowning: literally!

1 Like

Halloween app for philips hue (iOS).

2 Likes

Correct link: https://bluejeans.com/574546266/

1 Like

Hey guys, I’d love to capture your feedback before the call so we can build our agenda. Here’s what I’ve got for tomorrow’s developer call:

• Update on the stability of the platform and recent outages (@Ben).
  • Talk about recent and upcoming SmartApp releases. Are there SmartApps that you’ve submitted that you haven’t heard anything about? We want to bump them in priority.
  • Update from Product (@gilbert)
  • Update from @mager about upcoming events including Samsung Developer Conference
  • We’re hiring. Roundup of jobs available at SmartThings.
  • Any updates from the community forums and chat room

Thanks!

1. Please discuss the Outages and setting up a local override which all users can fall back on when ST Apps go down in the cloud!
  2. Better user notification for system wide outage (i.e. More Details).
  3. Please discuss the final integration of the Smart Alarm into the ST environment.
2 Likes

Woohoo I finally am free Wednesday’s! I’ll be joining this call:). It’s about to get real :wink: lol

Things i think should be discussed:

1. The outages of course. I’d love to know what is in place to automate monitoring and alert of outages.
  2. Update on Hub V2. Will it have local processing.
  3. Bluetooth and how you see it playing a roll in STs future.
  4. IDE improvements
  5. Rule Builder
  6. What is on the horizon for STs. I’d love to know what your leadership’s vision is.
  7. How can we as the “devs” contribute to your success.
  8. Can I work remotely for STs
 This might be the most important :wink:
1 Like

@tslagle13 We are starting an ambassador program. Where you located?

1 Like

@mager

I represent Chi Town (Technically Schaumburg, IL
 but close enough)

HA! love it! Read this book monthly. So good.

Located in NYC naturally.

Hi Andrew @mager ; Thanks for creating this Agenda!

I have a specific performance issue regarding SmartApps (parallel processing):

• I have created a Group Shortcut to a set of Lights under Dashboard “Lights & Switches”.
  • These happen to be 3 Hue lightbulbs of the older hardware, so they take a second before turning on. This is normal.
  • I added a Customize & Control function to the Group which makes them ALL turn on when I open a door sensor. The result is that the 3 bulbs turn on, but clearly in a sequential order (i.e., one at a time).
  • If I instead use 3 Customize & Control functions (one linked to each lightbulb, 1:1), then the bulbs turn on simultaneously (or very close
 certainly faster than the the sequential order in the Group control).

In other words: Distinct SmartApp instances must obviously run in parallel / multi-threaded, but the code for a Group of Lights must be written as a sequential loop.

Questions:
(a) Is there a fork() or similar concurrent thread creation function available to SmartApp developers?
(b) Shouldn’t the Group attached SmartApps use parallel processing?

Thanks!

CP (Terry).

1 Like

If these outages continue I am not joining the call tomorrow night. You will find me in a bar.

2 Likes

Are you in San Francisco yet? It’s a small town, and I’ll bar hop until I find you

Too bad I don’t live in San Fran

I would like to hear about a documentation roadmap. I need more input. Something that includes design guidelines, best practices, known limitations. Are there plans for an official web interface or is this something that will be left to the developers. Finally, what about improvements to the smarttapp discovery process/store.

2 Likes

Since you are going to talk about upcoming SmartApp releases:
Let’s say I install SmartAlarm today from GitHub and next week ST makes SmartAlarm official, will I need to reconfigure? Or will the switch be automatic?

Thanks

Everyone,

We all know that there has been issues the last few days and they have been fixed now. Please let’s use the developer discussion as a “developer discussion” and not a “rehash of all the ‘WAF is pissed’ posts” or “bitch at ST session”. Constructive discussion about apps/devices/future path and products would be awesome.

@mager & @Ben, please hold us to the agenda.

If we can’t, may I suggest we have a “user group call” and then a separate “developer discussion call” from now on?

Thanks in advance,
@wackware

2 Likes