Jasco 45605 showing up as a switch and not an outlet

Hi everyone…

I have a new home and we’ve been busy setting up outlets and switches and dimmers everywhere. We’ve standardized as much as possible on Jasco devices, Z-Wave plus devices and are all connected to Samsung hub V3

Most are okay… a few have some inconsistencies that are easily solved by excluding and re-adding the device

One thing I cannot solve is that the Jasco 45605 Outlet is insisting on showing up as a switch and cannot be switched to a outlet in The Groovy IDE. I’ve tried everything from excluding it… Un wiring it as well as shutting the breaker down for a few minutes. Nothing seems to help

Anyone see this behavior and anyone have a solution?

All that work you’ve done is just causing you more work and headaches. The device’s “fingerprint” was detected by ST and assigned the appropriate device handler, so no matter how many times you exclude it and/or rewire it, it will always be the same thing.

Is the reason why you want this to show up as an outlet vs. a switch purely visual (the icon specifically)? The reason I ask is because from a functionality point of view, there is no difference.

If you want to have a different icon in the new app, then you will need to put together your own device handler and specify the “ocfDeviceType” to be “oic.d.smartplug”. If you do that, your outlet will no longer be local, but cloud because you’re using a custom device handler, if that matters to you.

1 Like

Ok I think that makes sense. The reason I was looking for it is that I remember (wrongly?) that the outlet device types showed energy usage alongside on/off.

We have a heating blanket attached to that outlet and wanted to see if we could tell when it was on or off (the blanket itself).

The icon itself is nice and fun, but I can cover that in the app or in actiontiles, etc.

The GE Zwave outlet does not show power/energy usage, just their older Zigbee version, and eventually their new Zigbee 3.0 outlet.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/657

1 Like

That’s quite an old device, and in the beginning, all zwave power control devices were defined as either “switches” or “multilevel controls.” Wall switches and outlets and relays and even sirens were “switches” because they turned on or off. Dimmers and Light bulbs and window shades and some motor controls were “multilevel controls” because they could be turned up or down between 0 and 100%.

That model is probably self-identifying as a switch. Nothing to do with regard to the hardware is going to change that.

Instead, You will need to find a DTH for a zwave outlet And manually assign it. Or as @johnconstantelo suggests, modify one.

You could also try reporting this to support. It’s an officially supported device, so they may have another suggestion.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us

2 Likes

There’s a big difference for people who use Amazon Echo. If you say “Alexa, turn off the lights,” that will turn off the bulbs and switches in the room, but not the outlets.

But you can change that group designation through the Alexa app just for Alexa purposes if needed. :sunglasses:

1 Like

So the weird thing is that I cannot find ANY type of an outlet in the IDE device type list. I’ve scanned it and might have lost command of the english language, but nothing in that list indicates a generic outlet, zwave outlet, etc etc.

I’m guessing a custom device handler? But then again, if I cannot get a handle on current/power draw to see if the plugged in appliance is on or off, there might not be a difference.

Any other ideas on how to solve the core problem: How do I check if the plugged in device (heating blanket) was left on, and how to turn it off.

-Rishi

That outlet will not provide you with power/energy values, so you will need something else.

If you want a good Zwave Plus device, take a look at the Zooz outlet. I’ve had several of these devices, and they work really well, but you will need to be cautious of how often you set the outlet to report power/energy values so you don’t impact performance of your Zwave mesh:

The other alternative could be a Zigbee outlet, like Jasco/GE’s in-wall outlets and wall plugs. Their older Zigbee devices report power (can be found on eBay), but their new Zigbee 3.0 devices do not report power (yet). I’ve heard that another release of their 3.0 devices is coming, and they will include power/energy in that release, but I don’t know when that will happen.

2 Likes