It all seemed so simple... but now I'm not sure: mixing zwave and other protocols

And the problem w/smart plugs on the lamps is once someone turns off the lamp at the switch, the light is dumb again and won’t turn on regardless of what you do w/the smart plug.

If you want your family to actually successfully use lamps w/a smart bulb or a smart plug, you’re likely going to find that you need to provide them an extremely easy and reliable alternative to just turning the lamp off at the switch - either voice control they actually remember to us (and how to use) or a separate smart button device for the lamp on/off.

I went w/smart bulbs and button controllers, as we don’t have (and don’t want) voice control devices like Echo/G Home in every room. My family had problems breaking old habits and just kept turning off the lamps with smart bulbs at the switch. This defeated the smart purpose, and is also bad for smart bulbs. So I added button devices into the mix, specifically Aeon Minimotes (but there other options).

Plus for button device controls for lamps:

1. Can be much more convenient (easier to reach) than the actual lamp switch itself, so family is more likely to use the button device.
  2. If button device has multiple buttons you can program different options (but keep it simple - family will forget quickly).
  3. Visitors “get it” pretty easily (I have labels on the button devices)

Minus for button devices:

• Mine (and most) are not connected to power, so you have to charge them up or replace batteries periodically
  • Button devices can “walk off” and disappear for a short period of time in some cases (unless they are attached to a wall or furniture). Several of my minimotes are connected via velcro to keep them from going on a walk-about. Others are left unattached and can roam about a particular room a bit for user convenience.
  • The particular button device I use (Aeon Minimote) is old stock and after tracking them down to order, you also usually have to order replacement batteries and replace them yourself (involves connecting wires in the minimote, not just a normal battery swap). There’s a post here on it:

There was also a thread here recently on buttons that might help:

1 Like