Issue Setting Up Monoprice 15268 Sensor with Automations

I have a v3 SmartThings Hub and have manually added a Monoprice (PID 15268) to my hub as a “Z-Wave Plus Door/Window Sensor”. The hub in its activity log shows when I “open” and “close” the sensor, so that appears to be working correctly. In my devices dashboard in the “SmartThings” iPhone app, it shows that my hub is “Connected”, but it shows a status of “Checking status…” for this sensor. I’m not sure if this is normal or not. When I click on this sensor, a message stating “Can’t connect to device. Check device and try again.” is shown. When I go to the “Automations” section of the app, I click on “Add automation”, click “Custom automation” and then click the “Based on a device status” option. In this screen, it shows “No devices”. If I click the “Smart Home Monitor” option and then “Security” in the “Add automation” screen, it does give me the option to select the sensor in the “Open/closed sensors” section. I then select it and set the “1 minute” on the “Delay before alert” option. This would be great if it honored the 1 minute delay, but as soon as I “open” the sensor, it alerts me. Any ideas how I can have this sensor alert me only if it’s not closed after being opened after X number of minutes? Also, is there a way to set it up to text me instead of alerting me through the SmartThings app?

Thanks

Best recommendation is to install and use the SmartThings classic app instead of the SmartThings (Samsung Connect) app :slight_smile: you only need the STSC app to initially set up the v3 hub but after that you should switch to the classic app. With the classic app, you will not get the can not connect to device message and in a SHM, you can create rules that send SMS text messages.

Thank you jkp for your recommendation. Switching to the SmartThings Classic app worked just as you had said it would to configure the alerts for my sensor and have it delay after an action occurs with the sensor a specified amount of time before alerting me via the app and an SMS message.

Now, the only other thing I can’t seem to figure out how to do/configure at this point is to receive an alert every X number of minutes until the sensor is closed. I am currently alerted X minutes after the sensor has been opened, but it only alerts me once and that’s it until the sensor is closed and re-opened. Please let me know if this type of configuration is possible within the application. If so, any guidance regarding how to configure this would be greatly appreciated.