Is there really still no Multifactor authentication? (MFA/2FA)

Today I learned Terry doesn’t use MFA on Amazon :slight_smile:

Seriously. This is such an obvious ask, and given that it took 4 years to get a tablet interface and favorites, this is on schedule to be implemented in about a year to 18 months. Or maybe never.

If Samsung really cares about security, they would roll it out immediately.

2 Likes

For me, which pains me to say, Samsung has until more HomeKit capable cameras become available. I don’t mind spending more money per device just for Homekit if it means it’s more secure and I have peace of mind that someone can’t simply compromise SmartThing’s and get access to my home. Sure, the odds of that happening aren’t great, but is it worth the risk?

I’d be more concerned over how Samsung is a) protecting your data and b) what the going rate is for selling your data is?

Breaking into your house isn’t the issue, it’s a privacy issue because they literally have all your device data to know when and what you are doing. That scares me far worse than if someone could hack it.

I agree. I am way more concerned about my data, more specifically (unrelated to SmartHome) is my financial data. The shotgun is for people physically breaking into my home (when I am there).

Bouncing this topic.

Is there any way to get someone from SmartThings to reply to things on this forum?

Seriously, if they don’t get 2Fa soon, I am just going to outright ditch this platform. The idea that I can add 2Fa to
basically every single thing online I do EXCEPT Smarthings (which controls physical access to my freaking house) is unacceptable to me.

Samsung has 2fa, but they only offer text message 2fa which is weak. Maybe they are waiting for the migration process to add this feature. When they do, it will still likely be the weak text message 2fa.

Lot’s of stories of people calling AT&T / Verizon pretending to be the other person saying they got a new phone, lost their phone…

I would be happy with text message for now - at least it is a step forward. They don’t have that.

seeing as how there is a samsung account migration beta, i’m guessing this will be taken care of when everybody gets migrated.

1 Like

No.

The official channels for Feature Requests are:

1 Like

Email sent to support just now. Can’t wait for this feature to be enabled.

1 Like

@Jason_Keirstead we are migrating to Samsung Account. It will be up to them to implement multi-factor auth. They have a separate feedback form which can be found here.

https://help.content.samsung.com/csweb/ticket/createQuestionTicket.do;jsessionid=Sml+cIE2KoLyQKYaTPe3pEsP.wsite22