Is there money in Smart Home consulting?

iotfuture
iotindustry

First time poster over here!

Just my .02 but…

There are some folks like myself, whom are technologically save that just don’t have the time to install, configure and setup a trick system while utilizing ST. I’ve installed a ST system and Alexa commands in the past but i just used it for lights and i didn’t have a chance to integrate anything else. I’d like someone to help me build a system, ground up, while utilizing ST but not on a shoe string budget. i think ST can certainly bridge the gap with consumer such as myself that have touched and played with control 4 (my roomates old house had control 4 and i thinks it’s not all that). My brother who has crestron. Spent a fortune and i feel like the system is already outdated. As for ST, it can evolve with new gadgets especially when programers are opening up the capabilities of products that are “not” compatible. An open source platform that allows jo blow to customize is sweet.

I’m looking for someone to help me in the Los Angles area, any suggestions?
@ashutosh1982 do you travel out to southern california? TIA

(Kevin [Yorkshire UK]) #22

Most of the ‘Pro’ systems have evolved from a wired control background like serial or some wired protocol and failing that infra red control. Then they’ve embraced IP / Ethernet which is pretty reliable, even WiFi. Probably most installers still favour these as… well they just work.

The later retrofit wireless systems like Z-Wave and ZigBee are intrinsically problematic unless very well managed, which means contained product and coverage really. They are the Achilles heel in local control and reliability.

Add on top of that Internet / Cloud services and you’re definitely not in control anymore. Their services go down and yours do. Customers sort of understand this when music or TV doesn’t stream but not when their lights don’t switch on when scheduled , or when the switch is pressed.

I feel ST by design is so exposed on all these issues that it could never make a satisfactory platform for a business but it is fascinating for those prepared to commit their own time and learning as a hobby.

The problem with SmartThings isn’t the knowledge and effort needed to set it up in the first place. It’s all the “This has been working great for a year and a half and this morning it just stopped working right” stuff.

The forum is full of posts like this. Sometimes it’s a device going bad, but more often it’s a platform change which may or may not have been announced.

The customer didn’t change anything, but now stuff works differently. Or doesn’t work. :scream:

I think that’s what reduces most pro installer interest in the system. It’s very expensive to handle stuff like that, particularly since it’s likely that multiple customers will all have the same emergency problem at the same time.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Bug:_First_Reports