Is there a way to switch PC ON Wake On LAN using Smarthub?

Hi all
Early days of looking at the Smartthings apps & hardware.
I wondered if there was a way I could use the SmartThings app to be able to switch on a PC that is connected to the same network as the Samsung Smart Hub by sending a Wake on LAN command?

Does this exist currently?

Thank you for responses in advance.

We get basically ZERO low-level control over the networking facilities of the Hub (even Hub V2). Eventually this may improve somewhat, but I doubt it will be as open as say, a DD-WRT Router.

Wake-On-Lan packets require, ummm, UDP, or even lower level protocols.

The easiest way to implement, likely, is to use a DD-WRT compatible Routerā€¦

1 Like

+1 DD-WRT for WOL, or phone apps, but both are manual methods.

The easiest way I have to wake a PC automatically is an Aeon plug-in smart switch, with PC BIOS set to boot on power-restored. This is easy to include in ST routines, Alexa can use it too.

Havenā€™t found a way to start most laptops other than a mechanical button press.

1 Like

This guy manages to get a desktop PC to WoL

Uses a few other technologies but the basis for it is there

1 Like

What a pity, but yes I understand what you are saying. Given SmartThings is all about controlling your home remotely, Im surprised that ability to send a magic packet isnā€™t already a feature - I think all network cards these days have WOL capability & it would remove the need to have to purchase a separate switch or socket! I think every owner of a Smart Things hub could benefit from this capability.

I do have a router which supports WOL & sending a magic packet, but given the Smart Things hub v2 is sat on my network & I already have the ability to communicate with it securely from the Internet, I would prefer to do it using that than opening up my router to the internet.

I spent a little more time researching this this morning & found this specific question comes up a lot on this forum & for similar devices.

But thank you for your responses. What a great community. :smiley:

1 Like

Most of the solutions Iā€™ve seen use another device to proxy the WoL command. Eg. The SmartThings hub talks to a router, Raspberry Pi, Arduino, or Android device to trigger the event.

If you have a dedicated Android device in your home, you could use SharpTools + Tasker to accomplish this. SharpTools can react to events pushed from SmartThings and then Tasker could trigger the WoL event. Iā€™ve played with this concept before in my house, so let me know if youā€™d like additional details. (And Iā€™m the developer of SharpTools)

2 Likes

This is a feature Iā€™ve been fighting for! It looks like the firmware work is done, though thereā€™s still some remaining platform work. Iā€™ll keep the pressure on it.

8 Likes

Excellent! Will add significant value!!! Thank for your response Tyler! If you need a beta tester, feel free to add me!

1 Like

I am definitely looking for this too.

1 Like

As a WILD guess, I bet the 2016 Samsung SmartTVā€™s will use WOL to turn on and since there is going to be integration with SmartThings, I bet the WOL feature will come once the 2016 TVs come outā€¦

Would love to see this as a feature too

Any idea how I can do wake on lan to a device? like pc with smart things or amazon echo? i have a couple of devices with staic ip that i would like to do wol with through echo

this may make since to some

this guy is doing some type of wol but i cant read the code
$:.push File.expand_path(ā€™ā€¦/libā€™, FILE)

require ā€œbravtroller/versionā€

Gem::Specification.new do |gem|
gem.name = 'bravtrollerā€™
gem.version = Bravtroller::VERSION

gem.summary = "Controller for the Bravia KDL-50W700B"
gem.description = ā€œController for the Bravia KDL-50W700B supporting WOL and IRCC (Remote Control emulation). Likely supports other Sony devivces that expose the same servicesā€

gem.authors = [ā€˜Christopher Mullinsā€™]
gem.email = 'chris@sidoh.orgā€™
gem.homepage = 'http://github.com/sidoh/bravtrollerā€™
gem.license = ā€˜MITā€™

gem.add_dependency(ā€˜easy_upnpā€™, ā€˜>= 0.1.8ā€™)

gem.add_development_dependency(ā€˜rakeā€™, ā€˜~> 10.4ā€™)

ignores = File.readlines(".gitignore").grep(/\S+/).map(&:chomp)
dotfiles = %w[.gitignore]

all_files_without_ignores = Dir["**/*"].reject { |f|
File.directory?(f) || ignores.any? { |i| File.fnmatch(i, f) }
}

gem.files = (all_files_without_ignores + dotfiles).sort

gem.require_path = "lib"
end

Hi Tyler,

Just wondered if any update since your posting in January.

Still hoping for a WOL feature!!

Iā€™m SO closeā€¦ OK, I used the device handler from this post and with a minor edit I was able to get that working to at least hibernate my PC from smartthings, but implementing the script file he posted is proving very difficult. Iā€™m using Tomato firmware and Iā€™m coming to the conclusion that it wonā€™t workā€¦ In the meantime Iā€™m using a different app that will WOL my PC from anywhere and the device handler above to shutdown my PC (at least I was able to automate the shutdown when I leave my houseā€¦)

If anybody has advice on how to get it working on Tomato thatā€™d be swell.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m one step closerā€¦ I found a website/service that will send the WOL packet if you enter the URL with your connection info,. https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli?m=MAC ADDRESS HERE&i=IP OR HOSTNAME HERE&s=255.255.255.255&p=PORT HERE

If someone would be willing to modify a smart app (such as the one I posted above) to facilitate this plus a way to ā€œpingā€ the PC status Iā€™d be stokedā€¦ and willing to offer some compensation.

I have a Plex media server and would love to be able to put it into sleep and wake it at certain times of the day (e.g. at night) to save power. Hereā€™s hoping a WOL capability is coming for half of the solution.

1 Like
3 Likes

OK, we can turn the PC on and off but what about something that can ping the PC to keep the status buttons in sync?

Only way I have figured out so far is by using an Iris Power Plug to monitor Power Use. I created a piston in CoRE to keep the Virtual Switch and physical on/off in sync.

Did you get anywhere with this? Is there a way to ping the PC so the button stays in sync? Iā€™d be interested to know.