Is there a way to run a Z-Wave Faileded Node to eliminate dead nodes from the ST hub?

If a Z-Wave device dies for some reason, there is a facility in the Z-Wave controller to “remove failed node” which will remove the dead node from the controller.
I don’t see that ST has the ability to run this command.
The Repair Network just goes around and does a network rediscovery which is fine if all the nodes are still there (and maybe they’ve moved around a bit so the routing tables need to be updated). Repair Network is a good thing and with 500 series Z-Wave chip controller in the hub (in the V2 hub) it will be really important to do on a regular basis.

A dead node in a Mesh network is bad because the routing algorithms will keep trying and keep trying all the different ways to get to the dead node. But its dead so it will never respond.
As a result, the entire Z-Wave network appears to be flakey to the user because there will be this huge lag at times while the controller is busy trying all possible ways to get to that dead node. When it finally gives up, then the other commands will get thru but until then the user keeps pressing the button and nothing happens ARRRGGGHHHH.

The only solution I see now is to reset the hub and re-join all the nodes to eliminate the dead node… VERY BAD…

@duncan - any insight here?

I’m not familiar with the inner workings of z-wave, but if the hub force removed the node, and then a repair network was performed, wouldn’t that deal with the situation?

(I guess I really need to get into the details of z-wave, but getting good DETAILED information is difficult.)

Zwave is proprietary, you’re supposed to buy a developer’s license (for $3,000) before getting full access to the specs. And there’s a nondisclosure as well, you’re limited in what you can publish. It’s not an open standard.

From the iOS app, when you hit Remove on a device and go into the exclusion screen, there should be a “Force Delete” button that runs the remove failed node procedure.

If you’ve already deleted the device in an unclean way, you can add it back with the same network ID at https://graph.api.smartthings.com/device/create and then do the force delete from the app.

I have tried this procedure twice (Zensys Tools on my Z-Wave USB stick to view the nodes in my SmartThings Z-Wave network, then check against devices actually present in SmartThings, then add/force-remove nodes that are in the Z-Wave table but not in SmartThings, then repair the Z-Wave network, then request updates from the SmartThings hub to my Z-Wave USB stick), but I can’t get rid of about half a dozen “ghosts” in the Z-Wave routing table out of about 100 Z-Wave devices in total.

Any thoughts?