Is SmartThings dead? (March 2018)

Why? It does that really well just not quite at the time you ask , or even at all, or at random times… it’s an adventure… isn’t that what you want from a home control system… a bit of randomness ? Live a little :confounded:

Kinda like SmartThings is playing Mad Libs with our house :joy:

2 Likes

Guys have you seen the new developer workspace? Yes, old SmartThings platform might be abandonned and you might hate Samsung for the lack of updates, but the new one looks amaizing! The new style, that is used, clean and understandable documentation, a lot of tasks are now simplified. I was a bit sceptical (and pissed) a few days ago due to issues while developing DTH. But when I found out about the new platform, I could not hold my excitement down. The hub itself is not going anywhere. Even tho there is a market push for hub removal through cloud-to-cloud and wifi-to-cloud (through OCR), there is also high demand for local processing and that’s where Z-Wave / Zigbee devices connected to hub will shine. I’m counting days when we will be able to start developing hub-connected device handlers and it’s coming!

A platform needs more than just good tools.

I miss the days when SmartThings had full time staff “Developer Evangelists / Advocates”.

4 Likes

Hopefully this will be addressed in the very near future.

9 Likes

Still waiting for the hub-connecting device support. It’s been ‘coming soon’ for months.

1 Like

Im not a developer but i do watch tech, Microsofts Azure Sphere sounds interesting

At first glance, this seems to parallel Samsung’s ARTIK architecture (i.e., hardware for end-nodes, for edge-nodes, and a specialized Cloud; ARTIK Cloud is now SmartThings Cloud).

There are definitely some similarities, but Azure Sphere is an edge space security product for IOT. With the emphasis on the security part. Artik pre-dates some of the concerns about IOT security and was designed more around real time high volume data processing and easy onboarding and prototyping. Azure sphere will require secured hardware at the device level which Artik does not.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/azure-sphere/details/

Azure sphere is limited to certain specific MCU chips which can support the security requirement. Artik is open to pretty much any device which can format the data correctly.

It’s not an accident that Azure Sphere was first announced at an RSA security conference.

1 Like

I believe differently. At SDC as well as in ARTIK materials, Samsun definitely emphasizes the “end-to-end” (i.e., hardware ARTIK MCUs / Tizen OS / SmartThings Cloud) nature of the ecosystem, particularly for IoT security benefits.

Here’s the modules… Very much integrated part of an ecosystem like Azure Sphere’s MCUs.

https://www.artik.io/modules/

You can do it with the pre-Certified modules for Artik, but you don’t have to. That’s why they have so many partnerships for pre-existing devices.

https://artik.cloud/works-with/

They’ve re-written their marketing materials so they are using all the current buzzwords around “end to end” but it’s not an enforced part of the platform. Even the SmartThings hub doesn’t have an Artik chip in it. :wink:

2 Likes

Flexibility is good; … but a lot of this is more about marketing than technology.

Samsung is not thought of as a “Cloud Company”, unlike Microsoft Azure which is the 2nd biggest player in the cloud computing industry (though less than a ~10% share?).

The evolution (or just “rebranding”?) of ARTIK hardware, ARTIK/SmartThings Cloud, and … other layers isn’t going to make Samsung a general-purpose cloud compute platform, but it certainly is targeting the IoT segment.

It is puzzling why an ARTIK based SmartThings Hub hasn’t appeared yet.

Meanwhile, Microsoft didn’t have to create hardware in order to push the value of Azure Cloud for IoT, but it plays well from a marketing perspective, and it leverages the expansion of their endpoint OS breadth, and … they certain have hardware experience too.

But if Microsoft ever feels they are losing ground in the segment with any “enforced” hardware requirements, then I’ll bet they soften this up too.

It’s just my perspective at this moment, that the Azure Sphere and Samsung SmartThings/ARTIK business initiatives are much more comparable than … others.

To return to the title of this Topic “Is SmartThings dead?” … I think this Microsoft announcement is key to understanding what strategy and “space” Samsung is really aiming for. Microsoft hasn’t done much, yet, in the direct-to-consumer #smarthome business (despite hints over the past few years). And, in some ways, the same can be said of Samsung.

Amazon is being labeled as a #smarthome company more so than Samsung. And that could mean Samsung may fall back on being an “IoT” company, with less emphasis on the direct-to-consumer market.

SmartThings isn’t “dying”; but it is changing more radically than people realize, both visibily and behind the scenes.

1 Like

Smartthings is at the cutting edge of Smart home develoment but is no longer alone, more players to the game is a good thing for end users
Smartthings is not dead it is going through growing pains and that can be ugly
For me the Smart home market is currently held up by reliability and actual in your hands hardware
Give me those 2 things and my business model can surface, until then its a non starter

Oh look, It’s been yet another year and new API for hub-connected devices is still “coming soon”. But that’s OK, because the old developer workspace and API works FLAWLESSLY and the documentation is without any mistakes and old information, right? Right…

Time for me to abandon ship for some better hub with local processing.