Is SmartThings ADT dead? (July 2019) (Lifeshield/Blue by ADT Acquisition and Support comments on EOL)

The model number isn’t shown in their list. It is a Z Wave plus item. Will check out other threads to see if I can come up with something

Then you will probably need a custom DTH.

Try checking the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki, look in the DTH section, and look on the list for “lighting.“

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

The negative impression of the ADT Hub couldn’t get much worse.

With its current bargain bin price (for the Hub … and even better for the sensors), is so appealing that customers are not asking: “Is this too good to be true?”.

1 Like

Unless they quickly announce new sensors, there is no reason for a new user to invest in the ADT model… the door sensors are only available through 3rd parties (look at Amazon, they are currently hundreds of independent liquidators, not Amazon itself). Even if you can continue subscribing to ADT’s security monitoring, if you can’t get the door sensors to cover enough doors and windows, what the heck is the point of investing in it?

If Samsung / ADT wants people to invest in this product after being kicked to the curb from Iris, they need to clear this up publicly and on the record, otherwise I consider it dead.

3 Likes

I agree, confidence or no confidence, can lead to sales or no sales. Plus the brand name(s) are at stake. I’ve already had some negative issues with Samsung products, for example. This could push me into never considering their products in the future, should they take damaging actions as to “cancel without warning”. ADT has never been high on my brand name list in the past but the future would be even less.

3 Likes

I wish we knew if the ADT hub will continue to work as DIY/self monitoring because it would still be worth keeping even after ADT discontinues support for it since it’s still a home security/ST hub for a modest price.

I can still return the hub from amazon but the home safety expansion kit plus 2 motion sensors are already past the 14 day return at BB. I also got 17 win/door sensors that could still be returned.

Now the question is do I eat the $65 now (for the expan kit + 2 motion sensors) plus amz return shipping, and return everything else. Or keep it? I haven’t mounted anything yet.

I am a former Iris user: I purchased the smartthings/adt sensors at discount at best buy because I already had the adt hub (got free with TV purchase months ago), so I was willing to take the gamble. For one of the 4 house, I had to switch over. If I had to paid full price for the sensors, I would not be willing to take the gamble.

1 Like

Think about the fact that in most cases alarm systems work years, even dacades after being discontinued. Smarthings isn’t going anywhere and as i understand it even the version 1 hubs still work with some limitations. I don’t think you have to worry about it just not working in a few month even if Smartthings announced it was terminating production.

For the same thing that happened to Iris to happen here both companies would have to terminate not only support for the product, but cloud access as well. That would be insane for them both to do from a bad will perspective. Iris was essentially all egs on one basket and apparently one that was struggeling to stay in the green.

Most alarm systems of that type don’t have an essential cloud component.

Revolv is a better example. They were acquired by Nest, Who had plenty of money and lots of other home automation projects.

But a year after acquisition, the parent company decided there just wasn’t a future in it and they wanted to focus on their other projects.They turned off Revolv. So the app wouldn’t open and the hub wouldn’t work.

After much negative feedback, ultimately they ended up refunding the money that had been paid for the hub. But that was it.

1 Like

That is a worst case scenerio and possible with any company. I am not saying it isn’t possible but extremely unlikely. On top of that it would make no sense for them to do it based on history. Lets be honest what possible benefit would it serve Samsung or ADT. Absolutely none. The only thing it would do is cement peoples negative opinion of both of them.

1 Like

@JDRoberts
Could you or an official representative of the community like a moderator reach out to ADT/Samsung and get an official word? I did see the post above from a CS rep but we need to find out more details on what functionality will remain (if any) at the time ADT decides to drop support for the ADT panel. After all some functions are local (like the communication between the sensors and the hub) and not cloud dependent, I think, I’m really new to this so my apologies if I am wrong. So even if they take down their cloud infrastructure hopefully the sensors/hub could still locally operate as a DIY/self monitoring security system.

Don’t we have talented programmers here? I’m guessing whatever is running those ADT panels is not open source? It would be cool if someone could write code to let us use these panels if and when it is no longer supported.

Thanks!

The issue here is that both of you are predicting that the companies will break with tradition of how they operate with older hardware. That just doesn’t make any sense. Is it possible certainly, but extreamly unlikely. The way to test this would be for someone without monitoring to disconnect from wifi and see how it runs. That would give you the exact scenerio

5 Likes

I think ADT’s history has shown that they are unlikely to walk into something that would generate that much bad publicity.

1 Like

It would give you the scenario for how it would run the day after a disconnection. But remember that without a cloud connection you have no app at all. Because the phone communicates with the hub via the SmartThings cloud. So you would be limited to what you can do from the panel itself.

1 Like

I can’t, I’m just another customer, and the promises that smartthings has officially made to me personally (an accessible locally operating button device that could be operated by a service dog and Voice navigation for the mobile app) have not been kept. Plus in going to the new app they have removed a feature which I rely on (hands-free operation of the smart lock).

But then, there’s no migration tool yet, either, and that was promised to all customers by the then CEO. Or the smartthings extend product for the 2016 smart televisions, which was made by corporate management but never got out of beta.

So I’m not really into promises with regards to this company. I just wait and see what they actually do.

And again, remember that while you do have communication between the sensors in the hub locally, you don’t have an app. So I don’t think it’s really “self-monitoring” at that point. It’s just the siren built into the panel.

3 Likes

Do the ADT sensors communicate with the panel thru the ST hardware like ZB and ZW? So basically is it a ST hub with additional hw/sw to accommodate the ADT proprietary protocol or is this local communication handled in the so called ADT silo? And the ADT panel is also acting like a bridge to ST.

Yes. There is an additional radio on the proprietary frequency inside the hub.

Is that on the ST or ADT silo (as you refer to the separation)? Hopefully it’s not on the ADT side and the panel is also a bridge to ST. If on the ST side I’m thinking that these might still work in the ST environment as regular sensors.

I dunno, I’m really still on the fence on wether to keep the ADT hardware and just trying to gauge the feasibility of the system if and when ADT dumps it. If the ADT sensors will still work as regular sensors then it won’t be too bad.
Btw, thanks for all your helpful posts here. Like I said I’m new to this and your posts have been really helpful.

1 Like

@Mavrrick58
Hopefully you are right! It’s not that we’re assumimg that this product will be dumped but just considering the high possibility of it happening.
Slightly off tangent, I used to purchase the latest and greatest electronics gear and always got burned when they end up discontinuing support even if the modulular design of the components allows for HW upgrades via new cards/modules. So now I just wait for the technology to mature before jumping into it.

2 Likes

I don’t really know how it works internally. People started talking about “silos” here in order to help explain why the dual logo sensors were the only ones that could trigger a call to the ADT monitoring center, but again, I don’t I know exactly how it works. I do know that the dual logo sensors are recognized For the home automation rules. But I don’t have any way of knowing what would happen if the line were discontinued. And I doubt if we’re going to get an official answer on that.