Is SmartThings ADT dead? (July 2019) (Lifeshield/Blue by ADT Acquisition and Support comments on EOL)

Marketing is certainly a huge issue with it.

3 Likes

As you may know, since it came out I have recommended the ADT/smartthings hub as a candidate for those who wanted a low-cost professionally monitored system, along with ring, abode, and Simplisafe. Each of these can do smoke detector monitoring, each has different pluses and minuses. Abode has the best video integration, but some people don’t want that. Ring is the least expensive. Simplisafe tends to come out on top in most blog articles for a couple of different reasons, one being the variety of devices that you can get with easy setup, although ring keeps expanding the choices it offers. The SmartThings/ADT model’s biggest advantage was the smartthings Integration.

I didn’t think most people would end up picking the ADT/Smartthings option, but I thought it was a worthwhile candidate.

3 Likes

Uh oh.

Amazon no longer lists the ADT models as “out of stock.” They are now showing them as being for sale by some third-party sellers, but on the same page direct you to a “newer model” which is the regular non-ADT models. This is true for both the starter kit and the individual sensors.

That’s what happens when Amazon internally flags something as being discontinued, meaning they do not intend to stock it again because the manufacturer is no longer offering it for sale to them.

5 Likes

That’s me. Wow. Twice in one month. Great!

1 Like

Samsung had to have known what was going on, yet supposedly Samsung and Lowes were working together to train support staff to ease the transition away from Iris… and they still had Lowes promote the ADT SmartThings platform…

That is just downright dirty

1 Like

Where did they specifically promote the ADT model? All the communication I saw just said SmartThings in general.

Not promote as in full throated marketing, but they recommend SmartThings over the other platforms in their communications, and includes this blurb about using the ADT hub if you need security monitoring.

1 Like

I think people who subscribed to the iris monitoring service got a letter from Lowes that mentioned the ADT SmartThings model.

Wow! Definitely shady.

I just looked it up and it shows as avaliable from sold by amazon. Just not Prime. Not aure what that indicates but it is still for sale.

Link for that? Because pretty much everything actually sold by Amazon is available on prime.

edited to update

OK, I put the one that said it was for sale by Amazon into my shopping cart and then went back to the page and noticed that it says “usually available in 1 to 2 months“ with an expected delivery date of April!

That’s an internal inventory code at Amazon that says they don’t have any in stock right now, but the manufacturer is still accepting orders.

However, it appears that that code is only on the starter kit, the individual devices all have the “newer model available“ code instead.

Edited a second time

And now that same page for the starter kit just updated and has a “newer model available” note and points to the 2018 regular hub. So I’m guessing if you do order it direct from Amazon that order is going to be canceled in a week or so.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077JRBSSZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Hum. Well time will tell I guess.

1 Like

So does the 3rd gen hub have the S2 feature? I didn’t find it in the description on Amazon. I’d like to stick with SmartThings if I return the ADT/ST hub and I believe that leaves me with the choice of a 2nd or 3rd gen hub. Which would you buy if the ADT/ST hub didn’t exist?

Probably not intentionally.

More likely left hand doesn’t know what right hand is doing…

5 Likes

Especially when they dropped the price to 99 bucks. That’s what motivated me to buy it.

1 Like

Not yet. They got a waiver to release it without S2 support.

I’d like to stick with SmartThings if I return the ADT/ST hub and I believe that leaves me with the choice of a 2nd or 3rd gen hub. Which would you buy if the ADT/ST hub didn’t exist?

Neither for security for all the reasons mentioned elsewhere in the forum, but in particular because it doesn’t have local operation for security. If the smartthings cloud is not available, there’s no way to change the mode, there’s no way to change the armed status, you don’t get any notifications, there’s no way to contact a professional monitoring service even if you sign up for one, and you can’t run any custom code. I just don’t think any of the other hub models meet the minimum standard for a security system.

I still like them for some nonessential complex logic notifications, like getting a notification if the guestroom window was left open, rain is expected, and the guest is away from the house. Smartthings does that better than any of the competition in the same price range. But no cloud, no notification, so I certainly wouldn’t bet my life on it.

JMHO.

1 Like

Well, I guess the current SmartThings hub is cheap enough to toss if they come up with one that has local processing and a backup connection for security. Samsung is running a save $40 if you spend $200 on the hub and a few sensors. The only question would be what can I buy that won’t need to be replaced the moment they jump to S2 and offer a security package… I’d hate to replace something with a Samsung branded sensor only to be told in a few months that I need to replace the sensor again if I upgrade the hub for an alarm monitoring service.

An s2 device can be UL listed for a security system. Ring is using them. But the current hub device cannot be as it doesn’t have an eight hour battery back up. Or a cellular connection to the monitoring center. So I’m not seeing it, although you could have add-ons, I guess.

If you are responding to me, thats not what i was suggesting. I was saying the current hub is a throw away cost, and could be used in the meantime… with the hope that Samsung offers a security hub.

My question was more along the line of: are their sensors S2 capable… or if I invest in sensors now from SmartThings am i going to have to toss them in the garbage when a security system hub (eventually?) comes out?

SmartThings own sensors aren’t zwave, which use S2. They are zigbee and are zigbee 3.0 compliant and use QR code scanning to securely pair if you have the V3 hub.

1 Like