SmartThings Community

Is Smarthings my penance into the next life?

(Ron Talley) #21

Thanks for the info, seems like you have both Zigbee and Zwave devices falling off. Not good…

Might be a good thing to take the batteries out of the hub, if v2, and unplug it for 20 minutes. Turn back on and let it sit for 10 minutes, then do a Zwave repair.

Also, I remember having issues when my hub was near my router, I moved it to another location and the issues disappeared. Think it was something with the 2.4ghz signal messing with the Zigbee radio…Also fixed an issue I was having with a couple of Zwave devices…range issues.

(Johnny H) #22

We have some model numbers…

every item is smarthings certified. They were all working at one point. now I have switches that won’t re-join, water sensor stuck on “alarm detected” (took battery out re-sync’d)

Leviton mix of: (all z-wave)
Decora Smart z-wave plus DZ15S
Decora Smart z-wave plus DZ6HD
Decora DZMX1

Linear GD00Z - Garage Door Operner
Fibaro Flood Sensors FGFS-101
Fibaro Motion Sensor FGMS-001
FortrezZ Z-wave wireless siren and strobe alarm SSA1
SmartThings Water Leak Sensor GP-U999SJVLCAA
SmartThings Motion Sensor GP-U999SJVLBAA

PS:
going on 3-4 weeks with no support response.

(Johnny H) #23

That’s not exactly consumer grade network hardware either you’re a serious hobbyist or a professional that takes their work home
Tech is my bread/butter and career…

(Big Hoss) #24

Have you called SmartThings right at noon Eastern time during the week? It’s easiest to get a hold of someone when the office first opens. Trying to get support from them over email is a joke…

(Big Hoss) #25

I sort of figured as much. Looks like a Network Engineer’s home network… I do similar work but make do with more consumer grade networking gadgets. They don’t pay me well enough to afford the good stuff…

FWIW, I have had fits with one particular ADT ST Motion sensor that wouldn’t clear up, until I pulled the battery, then did a factory reset on it. 3 times…

This might sound like a dumb question, but is firmware up to date on everything as much as possible anyway?

(Johnny H) #26

i try that…
thanks!

Thanks for the laugh. I too can’t believe what will happen next to make me furious.
I have 2 SmartThings locations set up and in the one home I had the Hub right next to the Router/Modem. I moved the Hub to another room and things have settled down now. Try separating the devices.

(Johnny H) #28

Anytime, lol

I’ve pretty much given up. I now have switches that worked for the longest time go AWOL, funny thing there’s 4 next to each other 1 still responds the other 3 don’t and the hub is anout 7’away from them, with the wireless app about 10’ away.

Today, I was sitting on the couch… got up to go upstairs, came back down and ST decided that I left and set the alarm on… which I set off.
I can’t even rejoin the devices that aren’t working.

Then this instills confidence…

I wish I could give up also but at this point with the investment I have into this I can’t give up, just hope one day Samsung lives up to making the product better. There is just no place to go for a real DIY home security that will use the existing devices we already have. I have seen this Habitat Hub on Amazon some are mentioning but it seems to be at a worst infant stage than SmartThings.

Assuming you meant Hubitat, It’s a tiny company with a very new product, but their entire goal was to create something that would have a similar breadth of product choices as smartthings but run locally for everything except necessary third-party integrations like voice assistants. That means even if they go out of business tomorrow, everything that you have running except for those third-party integrations would continue to run. ( and some of the third-party integrations might continue to run as well, just depends how they are set up.)

By removing the cloud, they removed a lot of instability, as well as giving you the ability to back up, restore a previous version, defer updates, etc.

Some people are using both smartthings and habitat, taking advantage of the local operations of Hubitat to create more stability for critical operations.

So yes, tiny company, very new, but the issues that it has are quite different from the issues that smartthings has. :sunglasses:

1 Like
(John William) #31

Thanks for sharing this very good info.