Is it possible to duplicate a device? (To use two different DTHs for the same device)

I want to create TWO different devices which are physically the same device. The device is z wave. Is that possible? Below is the why. There’s a very concrete why.

The device is an Aeotec siren 6. It uses a custom DTH. Which means it cannot be executed locally. I use it to notify if an exterior door is opened. If the automation doesn’t run locally it sometimes takes 2-4 seconds for it to trigger. That’s annoying and a giant head start for a toddler who thinks he’s hilarious.

So I don’t have it set as the aeotec and instead I have the type set to generic z wave switch. The author of the DTH told me what lines to edit so that I get the correct sound and settings I want and because it’s a local device that way, it executes locally and there is virtually no lag. So perfect door Chimes.

However, as I build more automation around the house, I would like the ability to choose which one of the 30 sounds are played. To do that, I need the custom DTH. So you see why I’m wanting a duplicate entry for the same physical device. Instance A would identify as a generic switch and continue to execute locally. Instance B I would set as the DTH’S device type so that I could employ all its features.

That at all possible?

Unfortunately, no. It just doesn’t work that way. Each physical device is assigned to a single DTH and that is the one that the platform uses to format the commands that are sent to that device.

You can switch back-and-forth between them manually whatever you want as long as the cloud is available, but I don’t know of any way to do it automatically.

2 Likes

I should say for fairly simple switches or sensors, it is possible to create a virtual device which will run in the cloud and then to have a local DTH for the actual physical device.

And then to have the physical device mirror the virtual device.

But there is still only one DTH per device, it’s just that one DTH is assigned to the virtual device and the local DTH is assigned to the physical device.

You could then write some automations for the physical device and some automations for the virtual device.

Some people do that, particularly for lights. But the purpose isn’t to change the features of the light itself, it’s usually to build logic around the times that it comes on., Same thing with sensors, such as when people build a virtual proxy to stand in for a group of sensors.

But I don’t think that’s possible for a siren, and even if it was, you wouldn’t get the results that you want in this particular case because the features that give you the custom sounds are not available locally, so there’s no mirror equivalent.

It works for a light because you’re essentially just working with basic stuff like on and off as far as the actual physical device. You’re just using more complex logic for when you want to turn it on or off.

2 Likes

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.