Is internet a must for smart things mobile app?

I’m planning for my new home and
I wanted to know if it is possible to
Control a zigbee curtain motor for example using mobile app, without giving hub any internet as iam already at home.

However before i leave home i would put the internet cable and still be able to control using the mobile app ?

Can smart things do that

Unfortunately, no. :disappointed_relieved:

An active internet connection is always required to use the SmartThings mobile app, even if your phone is connected to the same WiFi as your hub. The app talks to the SmartThings cloud, not directly to the hub. They didn’t have to design it that way, but they did.

There are a number of home automation systems which may require an internet connection during initial setup, but after that can run without the internet, including for app control. (Except usually for voice assistants and some third party integrations.)

These include Hubitat, Ezlo Vera, Homeseer, Apple HomeKit, Ikea, and Home Assistant, among others.

But the SmartThings app always requires the internet.

1 Like

Thanks for the nice illustration, hence what is the suitable automation system that can control a somfy curtain motor Or any zigbee curtain motor using mobile app locally ?

And still has the option to plug my ethernet cable before i leave home and still can use a mobile app

I’m sorry, I’m not familiar with that particular model, hopefully someone else will know. :thinking:

I have another question about same idea, does broadlink rm 4 pro has that option of being able to use mobile app locally offline at home ?

And later online remotely if you provided internet?