Is Foscam the best for Smartthings? (Baby monitor)

Don’t use any of the foscam cameras (8910W, …) except for the Fosbaby as a baby monitor. They all have visible IR lights when the room is dark except for the Fosbaby. Plus Fosbaby has a temperature sensor. We tried a 8910W and it kept my son up due to the light it gave off.

1 Like

The livestream using the DH is a hit or miss. For live streaming without port forwarding and reliability I use an Ivideon server (free to install) on a local pc. This way I don’t have to port forward to see live video from outside my home. It stores the video locally as well.

The c1 is great but not PTZ as Vic requested.

I have used all my cams (8910, 9826 and c2) as a baby monitor at one point and none of them gave off enough light to keep my son or daughter awake. The blinking led light at the network interface did but that is easy to disable in the camera configuration. I guess it really depends on how close the camera will be to your baby. I had mine mounted to the curtain rod and later to the wall. If it will be very close then I could see the IR lights being a potential problem.

My son kept looking at it and it seemed like it kept him from sleeping.

Seems like it should do the job fine. I personally wanted zoom on my camera so I could mount to the wall and still focus on exactly where in the room I needed. If your camera is going to be tabletop and relatively close it shouldn’t matter. What really makes the experience with these, and pretty much any IP camera is the software you use to access the device. Do your research and chose wisely. You already know my recommendation. :slight_smile:

Is it possible to use the Foscam with both TinyCam and integrate with SmartThings? The application might be to use the Foscam + TinyCam as a baby monitor but when we’re out of the house or on vacation, to have ST take over and use it for motion detection and surveillance.

They are both completely separate…so yes. They both just point to the IP address and port you configure on the camera.

Ive been using WyzeCam cameras lately, and they’re awesome for the price. I have a few of them hooked up to TinyCam along with some Amcrest cameras, and they’re almost as good. They don’t integrate with SmartThings, which is a bummer, but they work great on my phone with TinyCam.

Yeah, baby monitors are the things that allows you to sleep, especially when your child experience any health problems, sorry to say. I’ve been using babymonitortown for the first 3 years of his life and it really helped to me prevent some critical situations. As for now things are cool, but i’m still keep looking at it. You can’t help that as a parent, i guess

1 Like